Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Photography Website

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Afternoon.

Just looking for some feedback from people for my Photography website.

Still has parts of the site under construction but would appreciate any constructive comments on it so far.

the site can be found here:

www.p-a-n-photography.com

Much appreciated!

And lets hope for 3 points and a Reading defeat tomorrow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just looking for some feedback from people for my Photography website.
Ok... this is your business, so I guess you're after constructive criticism, not a pat on the back.

I think it needs a lot of work.
I don't like the music.
I don't think you should have the name and number so large in the top left.
It would be good if you could separate the different sides of your business, because combining it all makes it less attractive to those looking for a specific photographer.
You probably don't need a 'Landscape' section at all. You don't appear to be selling the landscapes you have, and no one is going to commission you to take a landscape photo for them.

I hope you don't mind me being blunt, I'd like to help. I'll post more when I've had a better look.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Ok... this is your business, so I guess you're after constructive criticism, not a pat on the back.

I think it needs a lot of work.
I don't like the music.
I don't think you should have the name and number so large in the top left.
It would be good if you could separate the different sides of your business, because combining it all makes it less attractive to those looking for a specific photographer.
You probably don't need a 'Landscape' section at all. You don't appear to be selling the landscapes you have, and no one is going to commission you to take a landscape photo for them.

I hope you don't mind me being blunt, I'd like to help. I'll post more when I've had a better look.

I asked for constructive criticism and that is what you have provided, Thanks.

I will take on all views to assess what i need to change.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I asked for constructive criticism and that is what you have provided, Thanks.
You're welcome. I only saw one wedding on there - have you just taken the one wedding so far, or are there others?

Do you need to make money from your photography straight away, or have you got time - eg, you're young and not paying rent, or you have another job to cover bills?
It would be good if you had an idea of which branch of photography you most want to pursue, depending on what you're good at, what you enjoy, and what you can get business in.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
You're welcome. I only saw one wedding on there - have you just taken the one wedding so far, or are there others?

Do you need to make money from your photography straight away, or have you got time - eg, you're young and not paying rent, or you have another job to cover bills?
It would be good if you had an idea of which branch of photography you most want to pursue, depending on what you're good at, what you enjoy, and what you can get business in.[/QUOTE

General Photography. Mostly weddings but also cover portraits and commercial.

The Landscape side of things will just be prints to sell.

I am a sole trader so i work self employeed whilst i build the photography business up.

i have done a couple of weddings but with a website i dont want to bombard people with hundreds of photos. i will sort through for a better selection before its finalised.

I am also keen to get involved in photography at the Albion, i believe Park Cameras run a day course which involves taking photos on match days at the Albion so will look into that next season.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
The 'about' and 'connect' (contact?) tabs may be best having their own line, with a thumbnail link for each section, across bottom of main pic..

Oh, and LIKELY PRICES??
- details of any side products? poster prints? transfer photo to mugs, jigsaws etc?

here's a friend's site, for comparison.. (I don't get any commission, btw!)

http://ashyde.co.uk/

Last edited:

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
What do you mean duplicate the headings?

What black and grey text are you refering to.

Comment referencing to a garage site, i will choose to ignore that ridiculous comment!

By offering a free quote it implies they will not be pressure sold.

And the other comment re: airbrushing, thats what the individuals on the shoots picked and paid for some obviously not that naff.

But thanks for your constructive criticism

Where is the business based?

Why duplicate headings?

whats wiv the mixed black / white on grey text?

free quotes? Is this a photo site, or a garage??

you did ask..

PS- obvious airbrushing / naff fx, on portraits?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I can only comment on your sports photography. Most of it is poorly-focused and, I'm guessing because I can't see your exif data, that your exposure settings aren't condusive to really good action photography. Your football shots have also been shot while you were standing up and that won't win you any awards I'm afraid.

In my opinion, and I mean no offence, these are photos of sporting subjects, not sports photography.

If you access a site like this one, you'll see what sports, particularly 'soccer', photography should be - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/soccer/

Presentationally, grammatical errors will put many people off ("portfolio's").

Apologies if I've been a bit harsh but I see lots of people who undertake sports photography without being able to properly critique or evaluate their photos. I'm afraid you risk falling into this category unless you reassess your techniques and output.

Edit - I appreciate the Sports Illustrated galleries are all shot in stadiums rather than parks and so may look better, but you can get reasonable stuff at a local level too. This is an old one of mine (Kentish Town FC - hardly 'big league' stuff) -

image.jpg

Last edited:

Let's start with a bit of pedantry.

Is there any particular reason why PORTFOLIO'S has an apostrophe and EVENTS, PORTRAITS and LANDSCAPES don't?

... other than to deliver an immediate impression that attention to detail may not be one of your strengths?

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Let's start with a bit of pedantry.

Is there any particular reason why PORTFOLIO'S has an apostrophe and EVENTS, PORTRAITS and LANDSCAPES don't?

... other than to deliver an immediate impression that attention to detail may not be one of your strengths?

Why is this forum full of so many ar8E holes?

Did i say it was finished or been proof checked?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Spadge, I admire your bravery coming on here for comments, but sometimes it is best to get the opinion of those that are one step removed from a project.

I'm assuming you're planning to run the site as a business, but, to be honest, even if you aren't some of the below still applies.
A few comments:

Portfolios, not portfolio's

The home page needs an overhaul. There are some great images in your other galleries, but that shot of the beach does nothing for me. You're better off having a slideshow, displaying the variety of pictures that you can shoot, or scenarios you can cover.

You might want to think about a logo, or some branding, rather than just your name and number. It will make it look more professional.

You often only get one chance with people when it comes to a website, and even then, they will only stay on it for a few seconds unless something catches their eye – so first impressions count. I would suggest some colourful and dynamic images, and lose the words over the top of the images – they basically repeat the tabs at the top. Sounds a bit twee, but let the pictures do the talking. Also, when people see text like that, they think it is a link, but they don;'t go anywhere, people might think that there is a problem with the website, so move on to another.

You can have TOO much white space on a website, and, while I understand you saying there are elements that are under construction, to me the home page (most important page on the site) looks unfinished. However, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to liven it up

Have a look at some of your competitors, and see how they do it. That should include the likes of the big players down to others like you, such as a friend of mine: http://www.annapumerphotography.com/.

I see what you're saying about the effects and requirements of clients, but I would stick to the basics, and natural shots. Some of the best pictures in the world don't have any filters/effects or tampering with them, and that is what a lot of people are paying you for.

I also agree with what others have said about "Free quotation". It just doesn't sound like something that would appear on a photography site - more an insurance company. You might not be able to quote there and then, for whatever reason, when someone calls up, so you could be offering something that you can't deliver on. Leave it loose: "Contact me to talk about your requirements," or something. :shrug:

You're not a million miles away, but just make the most of your images on the home page - you'll be surprised at how few people will both to go through the tabs to find the pictures.

Good luck with it all.

GB

Why is this forum full of so many ar8E holes?

Did i say it was finished or been proof checked?
As a general point, I would never recommend publishing ANYTHING at an "under construction" stage.

Do you use an independent proof reader, or do you intend proof checking your own work? If the latter, you have no excuse for letting fundamental errors slip through at this stage.

I'll try not to take the "arse hole" gibe too seriously. As someone with a partner who is a professional photographer, I genuinely wish you well in your endeavours, but caution that trying to sell your services through a self-promoting website of "samples of my work" might be a venture that doesn't repay the time and effort that you are putting into it.

As someone has already said, landscape photography doesn't sell at all. Commercial photography doesn't sell well in an outlet that is also trying to sell wedding photography. And, if you are trying to sell wedding photography, you need to tell potential customers a lot more about the service that you are offering than can be conveyed on a page that only includes samples of your pictures.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Spadge, I admire your bravery coming on here for comments, but sometimes it is best to get the opinion of those that are one step removed from a project.

I'm assuming you're planning to run the site as a business, but, to be honest, even if you aren't some of the below still applies.
A few comments:

Portfolios, not portfolio's

The home page needs an overhaul. There are some great images in your other galleries, but that shot of the beach does nothing for me. You're better off having a slideshow, displaying the variety of pictures that you can shoot, or scenarios you can cover.

You might want to think about a logo, or some branding, rather than just your name and number. It will make it look more professional.

You often only get one chance with people when it comes to a website, and even then, they will only stay on it for a few seconds unless something catches their eye – so first impressions count. I would suggest some colourful and dynamic images, and lose the words over the top of the images – they basically repeat the tabs at the top. Sounds a bit twee, but let the pictures do the talking. Also, when people see text like that, they think it is a link, but they don;'t go anywhere, people might think that there is a problem with the website, so move on to another.

You can have TOO much white space on a website, and, while I understand you saying there are elements that are under construction, to me the home page (most important page on the site) looks unfinished. However, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to liven it up

Have a look at some of your competitors, and see how they do it. That should include the likes of the big players down to others like you, such as a friend of mine: http://www.annapumerphotography.com/.

I see what you're saying about the effects and requirements of clients, but I would stick to the basics, and natural shots. Some of the best pictures in the world don't have any filters/effects or tampering with them, and that is what a lot of people are paying you for.

I also agree with what others have said about "Free quotation". It just doesn't sound like something that would appear on a photography site - more an insurance company. You might not be able to quote there and then, for whatever reason, when someone calls up, so you could be offering something that you can't deliver on. Leave it loose: "Contact me to talk about your requirements," or something. :shrug:

You're not a million miles away, but just make the most of your images on the home page - you'll be surprised at how few people will both to go through the tabs to find the pictures.

Good luck with it all.

GB

Fantastic reply and well constructed.

I have taken all your points onboard and will look to make improvements.

Didnt really think about the home page picture with the lettering, it was originally from a facebook page so I put them on there for that, but your 100% right in what you say that people might try and click them!

This response is exactly why i put this on here and another set of eyes really helps to re-focus.

Thanks very much for the constructive comments.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
:ohmy:

:lolol:

My first impression was it took AGES for the page to load.

You may also want to take a look at how it appears on the iPhone/Tablet.

Limited with what the ipad and tablet show as the site has not been designed from scratch. It is via a hosting site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here