Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wadhurst - Sussex Regiment on the radio

Feb 14, 2010
Radio 5 have broadcast from Wadhurst. Its to do with WW1 and those that died from Wadhurst in the Sussex Regiment. Made me think that the history around Good Old Sussex by the Sea has to make it the best song in the country for any club to run out to. Stand or Fall - and they did.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Please, listen again on the iplayer. If only to fast forward to 7:50 and the reading of a letter. Tears to the eyes time. Makes a football match so insignificant.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
My great grandfather was mortally wounded on the first day of the Battle of the Somme on 1st July 1916. Transferred back to London, he died at City of London Military Hospital, Clapton on Friday 13th July 1916. He was buried at Southover, Lewes with full military honours and the 3bn Royal Sussex Regiment Band under Bandmaster Patrick. We have some photos of the parade.

I like to think that at some stage, they played Sussex-by-the-Sea.

The fact that GOSBTS was played on national radio this morning, is I hope an omen for tomorrow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I managed to catch a little bit in the car this morning. I was very surprised that 5Live picked a little town like Wadhurst, but, very moving programme. I was in Ypres, earlier this year and saw The Last Post ceremony at The Menin Gate, it was very humbling and emotional. to be there and to see all the thousands of names from men across the old British Empire who fell showed the enormity of the loss of life. Tragic and sad, but we must never doubt their heroism and we must never forget.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
2 of my Nan's brothers died at Ypres, one in the Royal Sussex the other a Royal Marine. I found their names on Menin Gate when I went with the school at the age of 11. My Nan was chuffed & I am very proud of my heritage. GOSBTS.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It was wonderful to hear the band playing Sussex By The Sea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here