Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RSCH got government approval at last.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
George Osborne announced release of money for scheme today.

Will believe it when demolition actually begins.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Will be a leading hospital once completed......great news

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Fantastic news. Long long overdue!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Great that we're going to get a brand new hospital but ridiculous that it will still be on the same cramped, unsuitable site.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Brilliant news. With reference to the unsuitability of the sight, a major opportunity was missed 20 or so years ago when a proposal to build a massive new teaching hospital to replace/merge the RSCH and the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath was rejected by the government of the day. I believe it was intended that the new hospital would be built at Falmer as part of the University complex!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Great that we're going to get a brand new hospital but ridiculous that it will still be on the same cramped, unsuitable site.

It's 'cramped' because of the layout and unhelpful piecemeal construction over the years - tacking a building on here, a wing there. If you saw the plans, you'd see that it's a pretty impressive project. There's enough space for a decent sized facility.

Its major drawback is the location - Eastern Road is a pig of a road, especially when ambulances need to get through there sharpish.

When I was in hospital last year, I got chatting to a couple of the porters, who were waxing lyrical about the new hospital. Aside from re-locating various aspects of the hospital around the city, one of the first things they have to do is clear out all the records, which are contained on levels 1 and 2, which are effectively underground. Level 2 is apparently fairly damp. Level one is 'wet'.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Good news that this is going ahead, it's been years of political wrangling leading to a delay in the decision. Won't be completed for ten years though. Having a teaching hospital on site is a bonus and the helipad is going to be quite a sight.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
should take the money, sell the RSCH site and PRH and then build a brand new one at waterhall...

I believe it was intended that the new hospital would be built at Falmer as part of the University complex!
Indeed. I remember being at a meeting about ten years ago, when the Chair of Falmer Parish Council made the point that the best location for the new hospital would undoubtedly be at Falmer.

I believe she was thinking of a location somewhere between Brighton University and a field that the locals called Bennett's Field. Unfortunately, at the time, there were other plans for that site and nothing ever came of the hospital proposal.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I can remember when I worked at RSCH in the early 60's that plans were then drawn up for a new District General Hospital at Falmer to go with the new University. Enoch Powell was the Minister of Health and introduced the concept of District General Hospitals.

The new development will take 10 years so the earliest it will be completed will be 2024

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Stadium site was in the Town Development Plan in the 60's as a site for the new RSCH. At the time the Government was offering £55 Million to do the job, which was not considered enough to start from scratch. So a tower block was erected on the existing site instead, followed by various other bits and pieces over the years.
Which leads to lots of what if questions...........

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Although I like what The Large One has to say on this, I couldn't agree more with your comments, and advocate closing Brighton College down and extending into their site. More hospitals for the people; less schools for the rich.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Great news and about time. It's going to be chaos in Eastern Road but there will be a world class hospital at the end of it.

That budget will over run too. I'm guessing £900 million by the time it's finished. Still, you can't put a price on health. Whatever it takes is fine by me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here