Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts of the season

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
How much does the result on Saturday dictate how we all feel this season has gone?

Not forgetting that the season is based on 46 league games & a few cup games.

My thoughts are that I think we have over achieved given the change of manager,massive injury problems the loss of keys players in January who were not replaced & our commitment to FFP.

How many of us believed that we would have a chance of getting into the playoffs in the last game of the season 3 months ago.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Too many boring no entertainment home matches and throwing away big chances in the cup and the league to do better

Hmm I have to agree, its all very well people bleeting on about how far we've come and remember when we were fighting relegation blabla, but that was in the past! We're in the present now and the last two seasons we've showed we're good enough to be finishing top six so I don't think we've over achieved at all, in fact we've probably underachieved from what we know we're capable of.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Never reached the heights of last season after all the unrest over the summer, but could end up a great season.

In general home games been less entertaining, but all in the club are still moving forwards.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
How much does the result on Saturday dictate how we all feel this season has gone?

Not forgetting that the season is based on 46 league games & a few cup games.

My thoughts are that I think we have over achieved given the change of manager,massive injury problems the loss of keys players in January who were not replaced & our commitment to FFP.

How many of us believed that we would have a chance of getting into the playoffs in the last game of the season 3 months ago.
I feel this season we have seen a lot of people on here who cannot think for themselves, and love throwing out cliches!

As for the team and manager. Under achieved.

Bored of hearing about January.

Bridcutt was a loss but already replaced with Ince and Andrews.

Crofts was a blow, replaced by Dale Stephens, who I doubt would yield to Crofts if Crofts was fit

ElAbd and Barnes where not a lot IMO as Barnes would not start with Ulloa fit and starting, and El Abd was way out of his depth and was always 4th choice out of 4 centre backs. Mind you I'd have Dunk as 2nd choice all season.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I can understand why people think the games have not been as entertaining, but I think this season at lot more teams have come to the Amex to just to get a point. I admit that our inability to take the chances created has meant they can just sit back a timewaste and see getting a point a great result. If the referees carded them for time wasting then we may get more entertaining games. I know it our inability to break them down is equal to the frustration, but now Oscar has had a season hopefully he will be able to work out what he needs to combat this next season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can understand why people think the games have not been as entertaining, but I think this season at lot more teams have come to the Amex to just to get a point.

Which is probably a back-handed compliment as to how easily we appear to have settled into the Championship albeit with considerable player investment.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think it's been a pretty good season, still having a shout at the play-offs has exceeded my expectations for this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Regardless of whether we re 6th or 7th it's been a very good season. We were playing catch up from the start given how little time OG had with the squad let alone make transfers! There's been some frustrating times of course, but I feel this year had been a rebuilding one as much as anything. There's no huge hurry to go up either (apart from finances of course). We ve again finished above teams with much bigger budgets and look like meeting FFP as well. I'm v content for a few more seasons in the championship and would point out 10th 4th & 6th/7th is now firmly establishing ourselves as a force in this league. Look at sides like Brum and Bolton who have bigger budgets than Us and a richer recent history - talk to their fans then tell me we've underachieved! We have a sustainable ish model compared to many clubs, the best stadium in the league and a training ground most chairman would give their right arm for. All this taken into account, it's been good - regardless of making the play offs or not!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
'83' apart, We've never had a better chance of reaching the FA cup final.....gutted !!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One other thought do not underestimate the total carnage the last manager left in his wake, to get this point now of a possibility of the play-offs is a magnificent achievement in my view.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
My thought on the season is that it has been boring. I go to the football for entertainment and this season has failed at that.

Hopefully this will improve next season now Oscar knows more about the team and English football and can bring in the players he wants.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
My thought on the season is that it has been boring. I go to the football for entertainment and this season has failed at that.

Hopefully this will improve next season now Oscar knows more about the team and English football and can bring in the players he wants.

Serious question - paticularly given recent Chelsea performances as an example - wins playing in a defensive manner or drawers/losses playing 'attacking way'?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'd like to see us playing more attacking football, but apart from that I have no complaints.

Regardless of whether we re 6th or 7th it's been a very good season. We were playing catch up from the start given how little time OG had with the squad let alone make transfers! There's been some frustrating times of course, but I feel this year had been a rebuilding one as much as anything. There's no huge hurry to go up either (apart from finances of course). We ve again finished above teams with much bigger budgets and look like meeting FFP as well. I'm v content for a few more seasons in the championship and would point out 10th 4th & 6th/7th is now firmly establishing ourselves as a force in this league. Look at sides like Brum and Bolton who have bigger budgets than Us and a richer recent history - talk to their fans then tell me we've underachieved! We have a sustainable ish model compared to many clubs, the best stadium in the league and a training ground most chairman would give their right arm for. All this taken into account, it's been good - regardless of making the play offs or not!

This!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
evening games have been very cold (or am I just getting older?)

Wise words.

el punal

With what was expected last August it's been a good season. Most of us realised that it was going to be disruptive due to injuries and Oscar settling in. On that basis, to finish the season challenging for a play-off place is quite remarkable.

Playing wise, with the odd exception, we looked solid but lacked "entertainment value" and this I put down to our inability to put our chances away.

Regardless of where we now finish, just outside the play-offs, or in them, or promoted(!!), the future looks very promising.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Each to their own I suppose. I've found the football this season very entertaining apart from the Ipswich-Middlesbrough grim patch.

The high points have been the breakthroughs of Ince and March.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think we've gone backwards in terms of style, but, given the injuries we've had, it's been a reasonable season. 6/10

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here