Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping the Room Service Waiter

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you order room service in a hotel in the UK do you tip the fella or lass that brings it to your room? I have always tipped the porters who take your heavy bags to the room when on holiday and learned to tip the legions of Indian hotel workers who showed up when I worked there. Tipping in the US is obviously mandatory. However having worked away odd nights in the UK and Ireland I can remember I used not to tip room service (on the proviso that no one else seemed to and they were just bringing something to your room) whereas tonight I did. Have I just become a little less tight or has the US and India rubbed off on me so to speak?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Having many years ago worked in room service at The Grand, I would say yes, tipping should be obligatory.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Having many years ago worked in room service at The Grand, I would say yes, tipping should be obligatory.

And having worked in room service for The Royal Albion, Metropole, Imperial Hotel and the now deceased Alexandra Hotel I never expected a tip.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It all depends on whether there is a service charge or tray charge added already whether I tip or not. I disagree with tipping if the person is just doing their job. Anyway, room service is the biggest con around. Over inflated prices for mediocre food. Just get up walk around the corner and get something nicer for half the price. Especially in the UK when you're familiar with other restaraunts

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I only tip in any circumstances if I get exceptional service, surely that is the point of the practice in this country? Waiters/waitresses/pizza boys/bartenders etc aren't paid a pittance here like they are many states in the USA (tipped employees can be on as little as $2.33 an hour).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Having just got back from the US and their ridiculously over-the-top tipping culture (apparently I was supposed to tip the bloke who directed me into the taxi), it's nice to get back to the UK system where tipping is generally optional and you rarely get stick for not tipping. I normally tip 10% in restaurants if the service has been good and round up money in a taxi. In this case someone bringing you overpriced food to your room as part of their job probably doesn't warrant a tip, unless they are somehow going out of their way.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't let them take my bag, simply because more often than not it contains things that I want access to as soon as I get to my room.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here