Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckley & Lua Lua or....

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Great question.

Buckley is the best of the lot I would say. But Steve Penney was a really dangerous player too.

Just watched the vid of our 2-0 cup win over Liverpool ( yes I was there too) and our wingers then crossed the ball and beat BETTER players far more than our present crop of wingers. But we seem to idolise the present day far more...why?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I reckon the wingers we had in 2010/2011 were the best I've seen. Noone and Bennett with LuaLua on the bench. What a team that was!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was trained for two weeks by Steve Penney and Kieran O'Regan in the mid-80s, and i turned out not very winger-like. So, i vote Buckley.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty hard to compare. Footballers are athletes nowadays, Buckley and Kaz would both destroy those two for pace most likely.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Pretty hard to compare. Footballers are athletes nowadays, Buckley and Kaz would both destroy those two for pace most likely.

Maybe not for skill though.......IMHO the standard of keeping the ball under control has decreased.....more so this season for some reason, but I realise the modern player has to control a balloon compared to the older balls of twenty#thirty years ago!

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
If we are talking about either Lua Lua or Buckley - Lua Lua all the way.

Stronger
Chases back and tackles
More dangerous
Cuts in, rather than runs to the corner flag
Better Pace
Defenders appear to be more threatened from Lua Lua (doubling or trebling up on him)

Yes Lua Lua drifts in and out of the game yet Buckley for me disappears after a dangerous 5 minute spell.

Although on the same note would be happy to play them both of either wing - that we never happen!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we are talking about either Lua Lua or Buckley - Lua Lua all the way.

Stronger
Chases back and tackles
More dangerous
Cuts in, rather than runs to the corner flag
Better Pace
Defenders appear to be more threatened from Lua Lua (doubling or trebling up on him)

Yes Lua Lua drifts in and out of the game yet Buckley for me disappears after a dangerous 5 minute spell.

Although on the same note would be happy to play them both of either wing - that we never happen!

I think that you are wrong on every score in each that you have shown Buckley is better and more dangerous.

The missing link in this debate is who Penney and Smillie had to cross to, their crosses were always going to look better with some actual players there to meet them. LuaLua and Buckley often have a more thankless task

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
I think that you are wrong on every score in each that you have shown Buckley is better and more dangerous.

Prefer lua lua every time, is buckley stronger!!! and buckley chases back to tackle - no he has cost us goals my being to flimsy blackpool game for example.

If i was a full back would be far more concerned with lua lua running at me.

We will differ.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, is Will Buckley playing with an injury? The reason I ask is that on Saturday has up against Dan Harding, a player he's terrorised every time their paths have crossed, but Harding was never stretched, or beaten.

So, is Will injured, or is there something more fundamental about his loss of form / pace?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here