Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Short term lets

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is there any obvious place/way to secure a short term let, ie something LESS than a standard 6 month AST?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Good question...as it happens I'd be interested in a 3 month June,July & August only option thus summer preferably a nice little furnished bungalow in Ferring or similar!?!

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I had the same question a while back and found this....

Before Feburary 1997, an Assured Shorthold Tenancy actually couldn’t be less than 6 months. But that changed after Feburary 1997; now it can be as short as 1 day. So no, the fixed dates in a Tenancy Agreement do not have to be at least 6 months.

However, there is a rule that says that possession orders are not enforceable within the first six months of a tenancy. So what this means is that a tenant can have a two month agreement, but the landlord won’t be able order for possession until after six months if the tenant wishes to stay longer than the agreed 2 months.

Because the property was on the market I decided not to take the risk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Before Feburary 1997, an Assured Shorthold Tenancy actually couldn’t be less than 6 months. But that changed after Feburary 1997; now it can be as short as 1 day. So no, the fixed dates in a Tenancy Agreement do not have to be at least 6 months.

However, there is a rule that says that possession orders are not enforceable within the first six months of a tenancy. So what this means is that a tenant can have a two month agreement, but the landlord won’t be able order for possession until after six months if the tenant wishes to stay longer than the agreed 2 months.

Interesting. What's the rule on holiday lets?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think the difficulty is more finding someone who is prepared to let on a short term basis. Because of the cost and hassle involved in starting a new tenancy most/all tenancies are for a minimum of 6 months. If you only need somewhere for 1-2 months then you will be spending money on rent for an empty house for the remaining 4-5 months.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the difficulty is more finding someone who is prepared to let on a short term basis. Because of the cost and hassle involved in starting a new tenancy most/all tenancies are for a minimum of 6 months. If you only need somewhere for 1-2 months then you will be spending money on rent for an empty house for the remaining 4-5 months.
There are places on Gumtree etc for short term.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

A 6 month MINIMUM let is also a condition of most, if not all, BTL mortgages, So in theory, landlords (if they have a mortgage) could be breaching the T&Cs of their mortgage if they let out for less than 6 mo at a time

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whole (and decent sized) houses? I'll check it out.
Well I guess the nicer places are not as likely to be available for short lets, but I guess you only need one.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Is there any obvious place/way to secure a short term let, ie something LESS than a standard 6 month AST?

Worth checking out AirBnb.co.uk as well. It's usually for shorter lets (a few days), but often see reduced prices if you take a place for a longer period (a few months)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Worth checking out AirBnb.co.uk as well. It's usually for shorter lets (a few days), but often see reduced prices if you take a place for a longer period (a few months)

I did earlier and saw a reasonable looking house. £200 per night it said, so I selected a month from the drop-down and they wanted £5982. There didn't seem any way to contact the owner to say "Really? Can we come to a deal on this?"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's more common than you think for a landlord to accept a three month tenancy, however it tends to happen when there is a surplus of stock, which we don't have at the moment, or in the winter (November/December) when properties are less easy to let. You may therefore find it difficult now, and if you do find one they will generally charge more per month than if it was for six months.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I did earlier and saw a reasonable looking house. £200 per night it said, so I selected a month from the drop-down and they wanted £5982. There didn't seem any way to contact the owner to say "Really? Can we come to a deal on this?"

There should be a contact me button under the picture of the host where you can send an email without logging in. I managed to negotiate a good reduced price for a month, but was a bit time consuming sending out the emails. - Seems like there is a gap in the market here, I had exactly the same issue whilst waiting to move house.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Post some more detailed requirements and the sages of NSC (and me) will put out feelers. There may be a serendipitous solution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here