Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

internet security and PC performance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the general; opinion of which are the best free downloads.., I used Norton 360 but it cost and then I installed something and with it came Reg Cure Pro which I have been using but are there better downloads available.

Why do I get advertisements for HD Film Streaming etc come up virtually every time I move from 1 page to another even on NSC. Thanks for any advice that may be forthcoming

D

Deleted member 22389

What is the general; opinion of which are the best free downloads.., I used Norton 360 but it cost and then I installed something and with it came Reg Cure Pro which I have been using but are there better downloads available.

Why do I get advertisements for HD Film Streaming etc come up virtually every time I move from 1 page to another even on NSC. Thanks for any advice that may be forthcoming

It's depends what you have typed in to Google, Google targets Ads through the Adsense programme which NSC is signed up for and millions of other sites. Since I just went on Ebay, ebay banners are popping up on NSC now. And because you wrote about Norton I am getting an for AVG.

If you have been searching for films or something related to that, that is why you get these banners.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I never watch films on anything tv cinema or laptop. My major concern is to have internet security and obviously improved performance getting rid of junk files etc.

D

Deleted member 22389

I never watch films on anything tv cinema or laptop. My major concern is to have internet security and obviously improved performance getting rid of junk files etc.

Get rid of junk files download cc cleaner. It's free and will remove ton of stuff.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Thing is with Windows, over time performance degrades regardless of how many times you clean things out. Sometimes it's just best to format your drive and reinstall Windows.
I use Linux myself and my machine is running as good as it was 8 months ago. Don't need to defrag or install any third party packages.

Jul 7, 2003
To be honest BG, as you are not overly IT savvy (not a dig by the way) I would suggest looking around for deals on one of the big security packages such as Norton, Mcafee, etc. one of them is usually on discount at PC World, Amazon, WH Smiths or even Tesco. It is often cheaper to buy a new package each year than pay for an upgrade.

On top of that, it is always worth downloading Malwarebytes to run alongside you AV software as it is good at clearing off anything that gets through

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Install the free version of Avast and the free Comodo firewall - both very easy to use.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
AVG or AVAST - both free. Only download from their own site. Register with a real email (makes renewing easier). Schedule a regular scan overnight.

When I first moved from Norton to AVG (a number of years ago), AVG found all sorts of malware on my PC that Norton quite happily left alone!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Avast
Stopzilla
Trusteer

all good and I do not have many problems

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have just had to take laptop to repair shop as I downloaded Avast and a message came up that the program
had stopped due to a high security risk and couldnt be restarted either in normal or safe mode.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If you have a modern operating system Microsoft Security Essentials (should be provided with the operating system or download from windows) and Malwarebytes is all you should need nowadays.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The laptop has not come back as apparently the repair shop cant find the problem. The description of thd fault on their document says " not booting blue screen showing instantly". Any suggestions of the problem and how to overcome it

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The laptop has not come back as apparently the repair shop cant find the problem. The description of thd fault on their document says " not booting blue screen showing instantly". Any suggestions of the problem and how to overcome it

Get the laptop back would be the first step.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I took it to them at 4.00pm Thursday they said they would ring this morning. I phoned at 3.00pm and they said they cannot find the fault but will ring when they have done so. I was going to go there tomorrow morning and if need be collect the laptop, and then try again.

Is there a way I can start it and format the hard drive and re install windows 7, of which there are many available on e bay with a code at about £45.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've heard AVG causing bsod(blue screen of death) on 64 bit windoze machines, but not avast? Could have been a false site you downloaded from meaning malware may be infecting you, but that's just me speculating. Very hard to give a definitive answer on a forum post

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Avast gave me the bsod on an old PC running XP last year immediately after it updated one of its versions - however I could start in safe mode by banging the F8 key like a machine gun immediately after I turned the PC on and was able to uninstall it - no idea why it happened though. I repaced it with AVG which has been fine since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here