Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke "Oscar will flag a player he wants, and provided we have budget available..."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
David Burke "Oscar will flag a player he wants, and provided we have budget available..."

I've collected all the tweets from last nights Seagulls over Burwash meet with David Burke on player recruitment, the new Academy and the youth set up.
https://twitter.com/JemStone/timelines/461758921448128512

Here's a couple of choice quotes.

David Burke - ".Oscar will flag a player he wants, and provided we have the budget available, I will then make contact with the club to enquire.It is an ongoing process - and we will provide Oscar with all the details and analysis so he can make an informed decision."

John Morland (Academy Manager)"We also seek to recruit those players who have gone through the system at other clubs, but find their pathway to the first team blocked.
We've recruited players - like Rohan Ince - who've found opportunities limited at their clubs and continued their development at #BHAFC."

Simon Ireland (u21s Manager) - "It is key to have philosophy, as the likes Barcelona have, the German clubs have counter-attacking football. We have one here at #BHAFC.
When I came down, that was clear. We have a philosophy here. It is one of the reasons why Southampton have been so successful."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What is the philosophy then?
Ireland said this in the Yeovil programme...

"We are always tinkering because the way that we play means that teams set up differently against us because they want to stop us playing out from the back. We will always stick to our philosophy and each year we need to make sure we are evolving to combat the teams that set out to stop us playing our way"

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The academy stuff is really encouraging. Though like many fans I am probably over short-termist, if you take a step back you can see in a few years we will be producing players using the best facilities and footballing philosophies.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There was an Albion podcast (still available) that featured some of our youth coaches and they were really clear that the whole structure was geared around how the first team are set up. There's no point having youngsters playing a high-tempo kicking game if the seniors are coached to play a methodical passing game. It was an interesting listen.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ireland said this in the Yeovil programme...
"We are always tinkering because the way that we play means that teams set up differently against us because they want to stop us playing out from the back. We will always stick to our philosophy and each year we need to make sure we are evolving to combat the teams that set out to stop us playing our way"

Someone should really tell Oscar, Jones or the players because they keep on knocking it around at the back and then punting longballs at no-one in particular or worse at an immobile Ulloa with two massive centre-backs next to him and nowhere near a team-mate

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There was an Albion podcast (still available) that featured some of our youth coaches and they were really clear that the whole structure was geared around how the first team are set up. There's no point having youngsters playing a high-tempo kicking game if the seniors are coached to play a methodical passing game. It was an interesting listen.

Its available to download via >> http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/latest-brighton-and-hove-albion-podcast-out-now-1441683.aspx

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I like that we have a philosophy. I know it won't please the people who DEMAND immediate success, but long term it's so much better for the club.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Beyond building a hotel and an IKEA next to the training ground I cannot see what our long term philosophy is. I need enlightenment as to whether we have a footballing philosophy.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Sounds a load of old excuses to me, we need INSTANT results or the crowds will dwindle if we have another season next season like this one

A football team is like a quality Spanish sausage, it needs time to mature. Unless you prefer the cardboard microwave version served up in Witheredspoons.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Did they mention anything about the FA Cup money or the signing of Michael Owen?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think Burke is passing the buck with that comment. Surely he's the man responsible for signing Agustein, Obika, Andrews etc? Equally he's the guy who couldn't keep hold of Bridcutt, Barnes & Conway and failed to replace any of them sufficiently?

Why?
He pursues players he is asked to.
Failing to retain someone who gets a better deal elsewhere is down to the player and their agent and Tony Bloom's determination not to bankrupt the club..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here