Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Care Homes In the U.K

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m very thankful we never let my Mum go into a care home. I’m sure most are good and the residents well looked after, but some stories I’ve heard, some from care workers themselves, do disturb me.

I was talking with a friend of mine at length on the issue and spoke about how user-owned and worker owned cooperatives, with career paths for the right people, could increase the quality of care, and the quality and happiness of those who work in the industry. I believe this would be a great way forward, but a difficult one.

With an ageing society, it is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

I’m sure there are a number of NSC’ers who are affected by this issue in one way or another, and it would be good to see people’s thoughts.

BBC secretly filmed video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27229367

Does contain distressing scenes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why would you work in such an environment if you hated it so much and hated the people you care for?

I had no real idea of how stressful such an environment could be until I ended up teaching in special needs. You do it out of a labour of love, not an easy job to make not much cash. Very odd.

I may have missed it, but were the ********s (including the owners and everyone else complicit) simply dismissed or do they face criminal charges?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
That was bloody shocking. My wife is a carer and a former manager of a care home locally and was disgusted with the treatment they were getting.

However, these are isolated incidents.....although im sure it's getting worse, and most carers are dedicated and hard working and care deeply for their residents

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why would you work in such an environment if you hated it so much and hated the people you care for?

I had no real idea of how stressful such an environment could be until I ended up teaching in special needs. You do it out of a labour of love, not an easy job to make not much cash. Very odd.

I may have missed it, but were the ********s (including the owners and everyone else complicit) simply dismissed or do they face criminal charges?

It is indeed a stressful job, and in case I didn't make it clear, I admire those who are committed to it. I believe that many are overworked and underpaid. I am very much concerned for their welfare too. I believe that care co-operatives could create an environment where those who look after people could have a stake and a say in how the 'industry' is run. They know more than anyone about the needs of those who help.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not just care homes where the elderly are mistreated. My father was mistreated in Worthing hospital during the last three weeks of his life. My complaints were swept under the carpet.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That was bloody shocking. My wife is a carer and a former manager of a care home locally and was disgusted with the treatment they were getting.

However, these are isolated incidents.....although im sure it's getting worse, and most carers are dedicated and hard working and care deeply for their residents

Totally agree. It is a concern of mine that the sector is going to get larger, and may not adapt. It is those, such as your wife, who must be amongst those who shape its future.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's not just care homes where the elderly are mistreated. My father was mistreated in Worthing hospital during the last three weeks of his life. My complaints were swept under the carpet.

The same happened to my maternal grandfather in the PRH. Swept under the carpet (early 90s).

My paternal grandfather was called a 'dirty old man' for having the temerity to wet himself when his calls were unanswered (Southlands), he also had money stolen.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is indeed a stressful job, and in case I didn't make it clear, I admire those who are committed to it. I believe that many are overworked and underpaid. I am very much concerned for their welfare too. I believe that care co-operatives could create an environment where those who look after people could have a stake and a say in how the 'industry' is run. They know more than anyone about the needs of those who help.

I never doubted you and I agree on your last point.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m very thankful we never let my Mum go into a care home. I’m sure most are good and the residents well looked after, but some stories I’ve heard, some from care workers themselves, do disturb me.

I was talking with a friend of mine at length on the issue and spoke about how user-owned and worker owned cooperatives, with career paths for the right people, could increase the quality of care, and the quality and happiness of those who work in the industry. I believe this would be a great way forward, but a difficult one.

With an ageing society, it is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

I’m sure there are a number of NSC’ers who are affected by this issue in one way or another, and it would be good to see people’s thoughts.

BBC secretly filmed video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27229367

Does contain distressing scenes.

My mother who suffered from dementia eventually had to be placed in a 'care home for dementia sufferers, as it was no longer possible to let her stay at home with my father (for reasons i won't go into here)...she died exactly a year later (last year) and i will always be grateful for the care she received, especially the help and compassion she received in her last days....the other side of the story is rarely publicised.

Please note i am not criticising your post in anyway

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My mother who suffered from dementia eventually had to be placed in a 'care home for dementia sufferers, as it was no longer possible to let her stay at home with my father (for reasons i won't go into here)...she died exactly a year later (last year) and i will always be grateful for the care she received, especially the help and compassion she received in her last days....the other side of the story is rarely publicised.

I understand and agree. Some times there is no other option. I do think most people will acknowledge the hard work of many. I've sought to clarify this above.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
My wife is a carer and a former manager of a care home s

Is she a Carer (unpaid often unsupported at home as defined here http://www.bica.org.uk/what.shtml) or a Care Worker (paid with employment rights?)

I am the Chairman of a charity that supports carers in Birmingham with respite services and what we are seeing as a quality led service is a rush to the bottom, who can do the job for the least money with staff working the most hours.

We get priced out most of the time because we try to give our staff decent wages, decent conditions and decent environments to work in. The race to the bottom is because councils want to buy care like they are buying sugar, lowest bid wins.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is she a Carer (unpaid often unsupported at home as defined here http://www.bica.org.uk/what.shtml) or a Care Worker (paid with employment rights?)

I am the Chairman of a charity that supports carers in Birmingham with respite services and what we are seeing as a quality led service is a rush to the bottom, who can do the job for the least money with staff working the most hours.

We get priced out most of the time because we try to give our staff decent wages, decent conditions and decent environments to work in. The race to the bottom is because councils want to buy care like they are buying sugar, lowest bid wins.

Your post is a summary of my concerns, and your efforts a summary of my wishes.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they made the guy special needs guy and the alcoholic live in a caravan in the car park, outrageous.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My grandfather died in a care home. The staff there were excellent and I would have had no problem in recommending the facility to others, much as many others had recommended it to us as being the best care home in the county.
It was also the only council run care home left in the county.
Since been sold off.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
if I should be left alone and become ill and any suggestion of going to any home
I will ask my neighbour to pop down the chemist for some paracetamol
say goodbye and quietly slip off painlessly

certainly not left to the mercenary bar stewards as advertised

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here