• Winning ugly

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't think you're very clear what 'total football' actually is. It's not necessarily a possession game, but an approach to the game where outfield players from a side are comfortable playing in other positions, such as 'defenders' turning into attackers and 'attackers' turning into defenders, without it disrupting the balance and shape of a team. The Holland team of the 1970s, an embodiment of 'total football', often used what nowadays would be consider spoiling tactics such as the offside trap to compress play and stop the other side from playing.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Are people seriously suggesting that if they had a choice between WINNING ugly, or LOSING 'beautifully', they'd rather lose?

My priorities:
1) Brighton winning
2) Brighton winning playing well

The win's what I really want to see, the beautiful football is a bonus.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Pfft, what a question. Winning is the aim, however you achieve success - whether it's luck or sheer grit - it's the winning the counts at this level anyway.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The article perpetuates certain myths about beauty, philosophy and tactics within the game. In reality....

There are times when a perfectly timed last-ditched tackle is beautiful.

There are times when metronomic, safety-first passing play can be dull.

A possession game is tactical as well.

A defensive game has a philosophy behind it as well.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
It's difficult really.

As I believe we are able to win with style, I'd rather we attempt to do that than give up the ghost and appoint a Pulis or a Allardyce in order to win at all costs.

Of course winning is the priority, but I believe it can be done with flair and enjoyment - I want our team to win the Championship playing the best football and be remembered for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here