Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scary Seagulls In Town.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
2014-04-30 12.45.45-1.jpg

The boldness of the Seagulls in town never ceases to amaze me, the chap in the picture saw a couple eating their dinner in a cafe and continued to bang his beak on the window to express his annoyance at not being able to join in the banquet

I wrote a piece for my blog on the little buggers.

http://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/those-pesky-seagulls/

I've never been attacked, or had anything stolen by them, but I bet a few of us have. They can be quite aggressive sometimes.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I love them - I think they're great fun

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Great characters! I can understand people being intimidated by them, but they can be misunderstood!

Apart from anything else, they are our clubs mascot! Seagulllllsss!!!

good shoplifters too!

[yt]VIs8-k_x-_U[/yt]

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I had one swoop down that stoyle my sandwich out of my hand, was proper enjoying it too, the little git could obviously tell.

My Grandad regually gets attacked on his alotment which I find hilarious this 80 year old man waving a shovel at a seagull in anger generally swearing at it, comedy gold.

A couple of years ago in Eastbourne we saw one swoop down and snatch a fairly substantial lump of coffee cake off a plate on a table outside a beachside cafe. Clever bu**er sort of impaled it on its beak and went a short distance away whilst the infuriated owner of said cake watched it being shared with his seagull mates.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can claim a minor moral victory over a Seagull. Many years ago I was on a boat fishing trip out of Littlehampton. On the way back in to port we all gutted our fish and threw all the heads etc in to the sea whare a constant stream of fighting, squawking Gulls fell upon the offal. I was the first to finish gutting so gave my hands a quick rinse and dried them off best I could and got my fags out. Oh dear, last one ! Ah well, I lit up and threw the empty packet in to the sea. At once a sharp eyed Gull descended upon it and swept it up in its beak.

As it was too wide to actually swallow, other Gulls noticed Gull #1 had a morsel and started harrying it to get it to drop it. Gull #1 eventaully flew off at high speed with it's prize, an empty pack of Rothmans. purdued by half a dozen other Gulls. Please don't tell me that Gulls are clever.

Dec 29, 2011
I had one swoop down that stoyle my sandwich out of my hand, was proper enjoying it too, the little git could obviously tell.

Had this happen to me too. Waited all day at work for a lovely ploughman's sandwich in thick wholemeal bread. Rip the packet open and take a bite. The next thing I know I get a huge whack in the face and my sandwich is gone from my hand with a **** of a seagull is flying away with it in his mouth to sit on top of a roof.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I live in flats near the station and regularly see disembowled pigeons on our path. They literally dive bomb the pigeons sitting on the roof. Vicious.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I used to live just down the road from there and stepped out one morning to witness two massive seagulls FIGHTING each other on the pavement, their beaks locked in combat. It was vicious and protracted stuff so of course a small crowd gathered to watch. A crowd of people, I mean, not a flock of seagulls. Obviously.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I hate the b*stards because of their noise.
Several pairs nest on the roof of our terrace between April and September every year, and they screech and squawk from dawn to mid-night, yet it is unlawful to do anything to them (because of a law passed back in 1981).
I'm in favour of a cull; each pair of gulls produces about 3 chicks every year, they live for 30 years, and have no predators.
Oh, and before anyone says 'well what do you expect living by the sea?', er, I live 20 miles inland!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Gull.jpg

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
I can claim a minor moral victory over a Seagull. Many years ago I was on a boat fishing trip out of Littlehampton. On the way back in to port we all gutted our fish and threw all the heads etc in to the sea whare a constant stream of fighting, squawking Gulls fell upon the offal. I was the first to finish gutting so gave my hands a quick rinse and dried them off best I could and got my fags out. Oh dear, last one ! Ah well, I lit up and threw the empty packet in to the sea. At once a sharp eyed Gull descended upon it and swept it up in its beak.

As it was too wide to actually swallow, other Gulls noticed Gull #1 had a morsel and started harrying it to get it to drop it. Gull #1 eventaully flew off at high speed with it's prize, an empty pack of Rothmans. purdued by half a dozen other Gulls. Please don't tell me that Gulls are clever.

First time I've heard of one actually picking up litter as opposed to strewing it all over the road.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I've recently converted my loft and the crafty buggers realised the roof of my dormer was a great place to meet up and spend hours squawking,I rectified that problem by sticking 2 plastic owls up there,in a slight breeze their heads swivel from side to side,it is now hilarious watching the gulls getting ready to land and bailing out at the last moment as the owls heads start to move.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I don’t think you did have a moral victory over a seagull, just gave them another niche.

The ones around my way are now pinching lighters.

aseagull.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here