Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Botched Execution - Any sympathy?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Does anyone have any sympathy for this botched execution?

Clayton Lockett, confessed to shooting and burying alive a teenage girl in 1999.

Tuesday night’s botched execution in Oklahoma, resulted in an inmate’s writhing death from a heart attack 43 minutes after he received what was supposed to be a lethal injection.

The inmate, Clayton Lockett, was confirmed unconscious 10 minutes after the first dose in the state’s new three-drug protocol was administered. The first drug, midazolam, is intended to render a person unconscious. But three minutes later, he began breathing heavily, thrashing and straining to lift his head, media witnesses said.

6:28 p.m Fifty milligrams of midazolam have been injected into each of Lockett’s arms to start the process, an attempt to sedate him before the second and third drugs are administered.

6:29 p.m. Lockett’s eyes are closed and his mouth is open slightly.

6:31 p.m. Mr. Lockett is not unconscious.

6:33 p.m. Mr. Lockett is unconscious.

6:36 p.m. Lockett kicks his right leg and his head rolls to the side. He mumbles something we can’t understand.

6:37 p.m. The inmate’s body starts writhing and bucking and it looks like he’s trying to get up.

6:38 p.m.
Lockett is grimacing, grunting and lifting his head and shoulders entirely up from the gurney.

6:50 p.m. The execution has been ‘stopped.

7:06 p.m.
Lockett’s execution was halted when it appeared the lethal injection administered to him was ineffective. Contrary to the description from media eyewitnesses, officials said he remained unconscious and passed away in the execution chamber.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...oma-execution-reignites-death-penalty-debate/

Last edited:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
7:06 p.m. Lockett’s execution was halted when it appeared the lethal injection administered to him was ineffective. Contrary to the description from media eyewitnesses, officials said he remained unconscious and passed away in the execution chamber.

Doesn't seem botched to me, job done and probably a lot less traumatic for him than he put his victim through. Maybe he should have been shot and then buried alive instead

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sorry to disagree with you guys. I'm not at all religious but really can't back civilised governments causing death in pain ..... even if the party was a murderer. Not only for the executed sake, but also for those carrying out or witnessing the scene. Besides what punishment is death, we all go there one day. Back to hard labour and grinding out years of misery, reflection and contrition might be more suitable..... IMO.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sorry to disagree with you guys. I'm not at all religious but really can't back civilised governments causing death in pain ..... even if the party was a murderer. Not only for the executed sake, but also for those carrying out or witnessing the scene. Besides what punishment is death, we all go there one day. Back to hard labour and grinding out years of misery, reflection and contrition might be more suitable..... IMO.

But it's better for the environment.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

If it was your mum/daughter/misses I bet you'd be happy to carry out the execution yourself.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I can sort of understand the point that the people who have to carry out the executions can have a psychological impact on them. Not all of them handle it well later in life.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think I would prefer the hard Labour, misery and reflection option.

Me too, with no chance of parole, make them work, make it horrible for them. No TV, no luxuries.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think this should become the new 'gold standard' for executions.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm not sure "sympathy" is the right word, but it clearly is not something that can merely be accepted.

I'm in favour of the death penalty, have absolutely no problem with certain crimes having that penalty. Ironically, the guy whose execution was due to be next but was stopped is a far worse crime, and therefore far more deserving (is that the right word?) of a lethal injection.

Anyway, while I'm in favour of the death penalty, it should be a short, sharp process, and not a drawn out process, with inflicts unnecessary pain. We wouldn't accept someone being hung drawn and quartered these days.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Anyway, while I'm in favour of the death penalty, it should be a short, sharp process, and not a drawn out process, with inflicts unnecessary pain. We wouldn't accept someone being hung drawn and quartered these days.

I most certainly would for certain crimes such as killing a child.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not at all religious but really can't back civilised governments causing death in pain
Well they didn't plan it that way.
Besides what punishment is death, we all go there one day. Back to hard labour and grinding out years of misery
So on the one hand, you don't want them to be caused pain in death, but on the other hand, you want them to suffer misery much worse than pain in death. That seems mixed up to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here