Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we had two points more and in the driving seat would you be happier about Saturday?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Personally I wouldn't. Still think it is mentally difficult when the pressure is only on you to win. If we had to go to Forest knowing a win does it I think we might bottle. however knowing that a win may or may not do it might actually help us a little to get the right result.

Whilst in Reading they face the mental hazard of it being in their hands to lose. If Burnley are up for it and make a good start that could play on this mental weakness.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd be a lot happier with 5 more points to be honest.

2 points would mean a win guaranteed 6th place though and no need to worry about Reading.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
That's a fair point. Having the points on the board means that more of the permutations work in your favour but you still have to go out and finish the job. Saturday is going to be as much a mental battle as a physical one.

I've said it on another thread but I oddly feel happier going into the final day in 7th. I think it is a case of trying to prepare myself for likely disappointment but it feels slightly easier to take if you're not in the playoff berth on the final day. If we end up finishing 7th (or 8th) then we've really lost nothing whereas dropping out of the final spot would feel like a real kick in the teeth.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Answer = yes

If this were 3/4 weeks ago I'd be certain that Burnley would win ... they are still the better and more consistent team and if they go for it (I think they will) then they are the likely winners

The problem for me is which team are going to show up for BHA and what nerves will be accompanying them? Still think a win will see us in 6th

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Temptation then would be to play a cautious game against Forest, which if we do I think we'll lose, whilst we can't rely on a Burnley favour I still think if you're Reading then it's harder to plan for their match than ours.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but no-we always fall over at the final hurdle!!!

No we don't, in fact until last season we have had a better than average record on not falling over when we were in a good position to get promoted, such short memories :rolleyes:

We got an amazing number of promotions including Championship winning seasons and back to back promotions too at Withdean .

However I have steeled myself to the fact that we will lose badly at Forest and Reading will win on Saturday :down:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Albion function best as underdogs. And Reading have a history of bottling it. It's theirs to lose. So long as we play up to our game, then no complaints whichever way it goes. Especially as we've shown nothing LIKE play-off form for 90% of the season.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I will hate it if Burnley take an early lead and we play for a draw for 75+ minutes of pure hell. It'll be pure hell anyway, unless we go three up in the first ten minutes and Reading go 4 down.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Albion function best as underdogs.

this. (though we've lost all that sort of player haven't we?) Im less nervous about the game, im sure the players arent either because they have less pressure away and we play well away too.

if we score first it will set up nicely for us as Forest will probably head for the beach. problem is Burnley will too if they go a goal down. so first goal scored across the games is vital.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I was reading a brief preview of the play off position earlier and it said, and I quote 'Reading have to match or better Brighton's result at Notts Forest.' Of course it doesn't change anything, but it just sounded better with the onus being on them.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I actually think going to Forest and needing to win (probably) is better than just needing a point - for the way we tend to play anyway.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Halftime on Saturday will be huge. The impact of hearing who's ahead, behind or level will potentially kill one team with the pressure. All that "we will avoid the scores" rubbish will be a lie.

Let's hope we're up, and Reading are down at halftime, and that the pressure pays off.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Looking back the Wigan game was key we shouldnt / didnt deserve to loose that game if it would of been a draw the least we deserved they would be two points worse off and we'd be one better off and an extra goal we would be 5TH on 71 pts 15 then wigan 71 +13 reading 70 +13 . Never a dull moment supporting the Albion . In A funny way im glad were not 6th as it seems to be a cursed position hope that proves true for Reading .Roll on sat .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here