Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grabban's failure to sign for us - Oscar responsible?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'll push on anyway.

Since the Jan transfer window a fair number of people have commented on what the reason(s) may be that Grabban didn't sign for us, with the single largest body of thought being that he never really intended to come to us; it was all a ploy to get 'Muff to offer a better contract.

I have now heard a rumour from two different sources (one a long standing fan in early Feb [meh, I know], and one employed by the club who is in a position to possibly know the truth in the last couple of days) that it was all set to go forward until Oscar declined to meet Grabban as a final step in the process, saying something like "I don't need to meet him; he's met all the people who need to meet him"; at which point Grabban is alleged to have declined to sign. Note: I didn't get the impression that OG was saying that he didn't want him, or that he wasn't involved; just that he had no need to meet him until he turned up for training.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone else heard this?
2) Does anyone believe it can possibly be true?

Personally, I can't believe that Oscar would have declined to meet a close-to-signature signing, but I throw it out there to see if anyone else has heard the same thing...

*ducks*

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
1) no
2) no
3) ffs

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Does not seem that likely. He appeared to meet Dale Stephens after all and Spanish Rodney. Grabban got a better paid contract at Bournmouth and chose to stay for the money. I also think he likes being the big fish in a smaller pond

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'll push on anyway.

Since the Jan transfer window a fair number of people have commented on what the reason(s) may be that Grabban didn't sign for us, with the single largest body of thought being that he never really intended to come to us; it was all a ploy to get 'Muff to offer a better contract.

I have now heard a rumour from two different sources (one a long standing fan in early Feb [meh, I know], and one employed by the club who is in a position to possibly know the truth in the last couple of days) that it was all set to go forward until Oscar declined to meet Grabban as a final step in the process, saying something like "I don't need to meet him; he's met all the people who need to meet him"; at which point Grabban is alleged to have declined to sign. Note: I didn't get the impression that OG was saying that he didn't want him, or that he wasn't involved; just that he had no need to meet him until he turned up for training.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone else heard this?
2) Does anyone believe it can possibly be true?

Personally, I can't believe that Oscar would have declined to meet a close-to-signature signing, but I throw it out there to see if anyone else has heard the same thing...

*ducks*

says it all

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Arrogance is not a quality that Oscar possesses, so "No!"

How do you know that, the public persona may well be just that, and he may be aloof and difficult behind closed doors.
Personally with what I have also heard about how OG felt overall about the January transfer window, this doesn't surprise me at all.

It could also be another sign that OG is far from happy with the work of a certain Mr Burke.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well, quite. It's just weird that I would have been told it so recently by a club employee. Maybe that individual doesn't like Oscar? That would be perhaps be a more likely scenario...

Or an even more likely senario is that the employee heard the rumour from someone that was nothing to do with the club and just repeated it to you (it could have been overheard by one fan when being told to another, who passed it on to a third and so on until it reached this employee)

I doubt very much that the clubs employees are told much when it comes to the day to day running of the club (other than what concerns them directly) or the comings and goings of any players or managers and what they said, did or didn't do

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Or an even more likely senario is that the employee heard the rumour from someone that was nothing to do with the club and just repeated it to you (it could have been overheard by one fan when being told to another, who passed it on to a third and so on until it reached this employee)

I doubt very much that the clubs employees are told much when it comes to the day to day running of the club (other than what concerns them directly) or the comings and goings of any players or managers and what they said, did or didn't do

I think then, that you would be very VERY surprised!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yep, that's also possible.

The individual concerned could just know - they are loosely linked to the playing side of the club, which is why I gave it any credence at all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's just a rumour so not worth much. All I would say is that if I was a player signing for a football club Gus Poyet would impress me about ten times more than Oscar Garcia on first meeting. Not saying one is better than the other overall, but this is something that Gus was particularly good at doing, the signing of CMS being a prime example, where we got a player for less money than others were offering him becuase he wanted to sign for the the vision that Gus has painted him.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
What's the point? Grabbans still at Bournemouth, Oscar is doing ok here. Blaming Oscar isn't really fair if you don't know for sure. And in honesty he has scored a few just recently, but prior to that was getting slagged off. I don't think he's that hot myself. Certainly no better than we have already.:smile:

Stumpy Tim

How do you know that, the public persona may well be just that, and he may be aloof and difficult behind closed doors.
Personally with what I have also heard about how OG felt overall about the January transfer window, this doesn't surprise me at all.

It could also be another sign that OG is far from happy with the work of a certain Mr Burke.

He's definitely not arrogant. Shy yes, arrogant no

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I must be imagining it, but I am sure that there was a statement not a quote by, I think David Burke at one of the supporters club meetings stating, that at the time Grabban returned to Bournemouth, they hadn't even got as far as talking about money.
So I am firmly in the Grabban fishing expedition camp.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Seems unlikely. Also seems unlikely that Grabban would be the type to care anyway! He'll be back off to Palace in the summer for yet another improved contract.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
He's definitely not arrogant. Shy yes, arrogant no

I wasn't saying he was one thing or the other because I don't know. I'm just saying that to make a statement that he is not arrogant or shy or aloof or difficult is supposition only unless you work with him day-in, day-out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You didn't get this rumour off Ben's Grandad did you?

Given the age of the fan, I'm guessing not!

What's the point? Grabbans still at Bournemouth, Oscar is doing ok here. Blaming Oscar isn't really fair if you don't know for sure. And in honesty he has scored a few just recently, but prior to that was getting slagged off. I don't think he's that hot myself. Certainly no better than we have already.:smile:

I didn't mean to blame Oscar; I'm in the Oscar "in" camp. If it were true, I would put it down to cultural differences rather than a deliberate sleight. The point? Just to see if anyone had heard the same thing, s'all. I left it until I'd heard it from two different people who aren't connected (afaik), but do accept that the second person may have heard it from someone who doesn't know either and just passed it on, as Guy Fawkes has pointed out.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think that's nonsense. It could be said that Garcia doesn't possess the magnetic personality/player attraction qualities that Poyet had but I'm sure that hasn't cost us the transfer of Grabban. It was so obviously a ploy for a better contract at Bournemouth.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I am personally glad we didnt sign him, I think it was another signing forced upon him.

I think this summer we will see a slight change in transfer policy but Oscar has commentetted several times he knows the players and the league now and knows what we require.

I still think Burke will be the main man, but a lot more input from Oscar.

Plus you never know who he is eyeing up in the DS.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here