Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Committed racist & NBA owner Donald Sterling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has been banned for life from his team The LA Clippers, the NBA, and fined $2.5m.

[tweet]461210139593170945[/tweet]

Absolutely nobody is surprised Sterling has been 'caught'.
Even I know unsavory stories of Sterling's racism.

http://news.sky.com/story/1250444/donald-sterling-race-scandal-obama-speaks-out

It could be seen as a ballsy move by the NBA but it's more a case of finally having enough.
Perhaps even a case of to little to late, from a governing body that has facilitated Sterling.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/28/donald-sterling-racism-la-clippers-owner

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done on taking racsim seriously...time for football to step up
I'm pretty sure football, for all it's failings, doesn't have character like DS in it's upper echelons.
If it does they certainly aren't as overt as Sterling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
*cough*

Jack Walker, Blackburn
Would that be the dead for the last 14 years Jack Walker?

I don't imagine this thread will last too long if we're going to play a game of:-
'Who's the biggest racist in football'?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
A surprisingly quick piece of proactive decision making. If only Uefa and Fifa could follow the NBA example. They would have probably taken six months and come to a conclusion of a different outcome.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A surprisingly quick piece of proactive decision making. If only Uefa and Fifa could follow the NBA example. They would have probably taken six months and come to a conclusion of a different outcome.
Not that proactive:-

Neither the league, nor the players, nor the sports media paid much if any attention to Sterling's agreement in 2003 to pay upwards of $5m to settle a lawsuit brought by the Housing Rights Center charging that he tried to drive non-Korean tenants out of apartments he bought in the Koreatown section of Los Angeles. Only a few observers noted in 2006 that the Justice Department sued Sterling for allegations of housing discrimination in the same neighborhood. The charges included statements he allegedly made to employees that black and Hispanic families were not desirable tenants.

And while a handful of us in the media excoriated Sterling and the NBA in 2009 when Sterling settled the lawsuit by agreeing to pay $2.73m following allegations he refused to rent apartments to Hispanics, blacks and families with children, the story didn't resonate – despite it being the largest housing discrimination settlement in Justice Department history.

Within that Dept of Justice settlement they actually quoted Sterling as saying:-

"Black's smell and attract vermin".

Sure he can still pass an FA fit and proper person test, but that's unfailable.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Not that proactive:-

Neither the league, nor the players, nor the sports media paid much if any attention to Sterling's agreement in 2003 to pay upwards of $5m to settle a lawsuit brought by the Housing Rights Center charging that he tried to drive non-Korean tenants out of apartments he bought in the Koreatown section of Los Angeles. Only a few observers noted in 2006 that the Justice Department sued Sterling for allegations of housing discrimination in the same neighborhood. The charges included statements he allegedly made to employees that black and Hispanic families were not desirable tenants.

And while a handful of us in the media excoriated Sterling and the NBA in 2009 when Sterling settled the lawsuit by agreeing to pay $2.73m following allegations he refused to rent apartments to Hispanics, blacks and families with children, the story didn't resonate – despite it being the largest housing discrimination settlement in Justice Department history.

Within that Dept of Justice settlement they actually quoted Sterling as saying:-

"Black's smell and attract vermin".

Sure he can still pass an FA fit and proper person test, but that's unfailable.

Fair point. I haven't gone into this fellows history, I was merely going on this latest story. Surprised any of his players would want to play for him if they were aware of his previous racist views.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fair point. I haven't gone into this fellows history, I was merely going on this latest story. Surprised any of his players would want to play for him if they were aware of his previous racist views.

And you would probably be surprised, therefore, to learn that this all blew up because of recordings of him made by his girlfriend. His girlfriend who is of black and Mexican descent.

Why would a woman of that ethnicity wish to date such a guy? I have no idea. Can't imagine the $2.5 million worth of gifts he has supposedly lavished on her has anything to do with it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
To be fair Adam Silver has only been the commissioner of the NBA since Feb 2014. He wouldn't have been able to do much before that, especially as Stern was not without his controversy.

The FA, UEFA and FIFA could certainly learn a thing or two from Silver.

Well done on the swift, decisive and heavy punishment, Adam Silver.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
While Sterling is obviously an odious man, this all smells like a bit of a set up.

He wasn't speaking in public, he was having an argument with his girlfriend.

Who taped this and who leaked it?

People say stuff when they are in private that they don't necessarily believe.

I guess if everything I said to my mrs was taped, I would offend quite a few people.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
While Sterling is obviously an odious man, this all smells like a bit of a set up.

I guess if everything I said to my mrs was taped, I would offend quite a few people.
Actually in most cases people are more honest in private than in public. It's clear this guy is racist (given SB's post above) in public as well as private though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's kind of pathetic though in a way. It says a lot about the US and in a lot of ways African Americans attitudes.

Of all of these celebrities coming out and having their say, Obama is the worst.

He has the time to come out and spout crap about this issue while O/S around the same time an anti-violence activist was shot down in a drive by shooting in Chicago, a city Obama has long been associated with and he says nothing. In fact none of these people outraged have said a damn thing about this poor woman's death and the horrible situation where an anti-violence activist is shot dead leaving a charity event to raise money and awareness for this cause.

http://globalgrind.com/2014/04/27/anti-violence-activist-killed-chicago-drive-by-shooting-details/

Sitting in a car with her handicaped husband and this poor woman who is obvioulsy a good person gets shot dead.

Yet all these morons are commenting and tweeting on is what some stupid old white guy said in his own home.

Some seriously ****ed up priorities on display.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Apparently, Sterling had asked his girlfriend (or "archivist") to record their conversations, because he often forgot what he had said:-

Donald Sterling KNEW He Was Being Recorded

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Anyone who kept that utter garabge GM Elgin Baylor in a job for 22 years can't be that bad. Guy was so utterly woeful in his role yet Sterling wouldn't fire him when others would have 20 years earlier.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's OK though, it's being dealt with:

"Los Angeles Clippers players also signalled their displeasure at the comments, by warming up for their match on Sunday wearing their team kits inside-out in protest."

Phew.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It'll be interesting to see if Larry Johnson an employee of the Knicks and former player who tweeted there should be a blacks only league will be banned for his racist statement.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It'll be interesting to see if Larry Johnson an employee of the Knicks and former player who tweeted there should be a blacks only league will be banned for his racist statement.

We both know there's not a snowball in hell's chance of that, and the bedwetters on here will be tripping over themselves trying to defend him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here