Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Citeh and PSG in breach of FFP, so could be hit with a LARGE...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
...You've guessed it...FINE :lolol:

(Or reprimand or squad restrictions tbf)

So the possibility of the two clubs, who aren't short of a bob or two, being levied a drop in the ocean to their respective owners is a real, and rather ironic possibility :ohmy:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

So the possibility of the two clubs, who aren't short of a bob or two, being levied a drop in the ocean to their respective owners is a real, and rather ironic possibility :ohmy:

But look at it from EUFA / FIFA / Prem League perspective - the best targets to make lots of extra income from are the clubs who can best afford to pay. City, PSG etc. Those lavish holidays and flash cars don't pay for themselves (unless the prospective world cup hosts are paying).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Remind me again why the rich clubs created FFP?

Oh yeah, it was to restrict competition by preventing the nouveau riche such as City and PSG sitting at their table.

The only winners in all of this will be the lawyers.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I agree it's an addition to the gravy train fund :lolol:

However, once a tariff is set, clubs will just factor the fines in with any overspend and not give two hoots about the money

It would appear restricting their access to top talent would be more effective, as shown by our FFP - adherent loan signing of Lita and Obika :wink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Qatar-owned PSG have been the club under most scrutiny after they wiped out their losses with a huge and back-dated sponsorship deal with the Qatar Tourist Authority. Platini said he was unsure if that "innovative" sponsorship deal with a related party played by the rules.

:facepalm:

So UEFA themselves aren't even sure whether a club has breached their FFP rules.

Its becoming quite clear that UEFA will just make it up as they go along, and none of the big clubs will ever get more than a financial tap on the wrist - an exclusion from European competition will never happen. There's just NO WAY a major club will ever be excluded from the Champions League. UEFA wouldn't want it as it damages their premiere competition. TV won't have it as it'll affect their viewing figures, the sponsors won't have it because it will diminish the "product", and the club would just tie UEFA up in knots with lawyers over the whole thing.

At a stretch you might get a Basle or Rosenberg getting a ban, just to "make an example". But one of Europes elite ? Forget it.

Stumpy Tim

I pretty much don't care about those clubs. They'll always find a way to beat rules like this. I do care when it's smaller clubs gambling like Pompey did as they'll simply go bust. FFP needs to be heavily followed through at our level as they are the ones likely to go bust if the gamble goes wrong. If Qatar decide they've had enough, there will be another billionaire to take care of them. Clubs with no real assets like Pompey need supporting by FFP

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Didn't the whole league vote on it? The FL clubs all voted didn't they?

FL FFP varies according to the division you are in, which in turn is different to PL FFP, which in turn is different to UEFA FFP.

Not all the FL clubs voted in favour.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well no, it wasn't 100% of clubs. But it was the majority right? Not just the rich ones.

Not sure if there are any rich FL clubs!

As much as I think the FL version of FFP is a crock of shit I think those that voted in favour did so assuming that it would be enforced rigidly. I'm not optimistic that'll happen therefore "all bets off" seems a fairly likely outcome

Plus even some of those that did vote it in will likely try to bend the rules.

It's half baked, needs a proper rethink

We've been here before I think :)

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
There's also the alternative argument that clubs spendng silly amounts of cash on players are helping with the funding of the game. Granted, crazy wages are seeing money benefitting only to arm-tattoo parlours and high-end jewellery makers or fast car manufacturers - but there is definitely a trickle down effect for all clubs when the riches of Qatar or Abu Dhabi are squandered on football clubs. UEFA's toothless FFP will certainly not be employed to ruin their own competitions - and it will be interesting to see the outcome of the Barcelona appeal against their FIFA ban on transfers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wonder whether Platini would have been seeking a stiffer penalty for City had PSG not also been in the limelight with their dodgy deal!

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne

Not going to happen! FFP will be quietly dropped once the 'big clubs' like these two and QPR and Forest in the Championship start reaching for their lawyers!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
A firm slap on the wrists is all they are likely to incur. What's happened to Barca's transfer ban that they were supposed to have?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Qatar-owned PSG have been the club under most scrutiny after they wiped out their losses with a huge and back-dated sponsorship deal with the Qatar Tourist Authority. Platini said he was unsure if that "innovative" sponsorship deal with a related party played by the rules.

:facepalm:

So UEFA themselves aren't even sure whether a club has breached their FFP rules.

Its becoming quite clear that UEFA will just make it up as they go along, and none of the big clubs will ever get more than a financial tap on the wrist - an exclusion from European competition will never happen. There's just NO WAY a major club will ever be excluded from the Champions League. UEFA wouldn't want it as it damages their premiere competition. TV won't have it as it'll affect their viewing figures, the sponsors won't have it because it will diminish the "product", and the club would just tie UEFA up in knots with lawyers over the whole thing.

At a stretch you might get a Basle or Rosenberg getting a ban, just to "make an example". But one of Europes elite ? Forget it.

It's curious that Sarkozy was known for being a 'protectionist' French President doing what he could to inhibit the impact of foreign influences on French culture and industry but was (allegedly) instrumental in securing Qatar's ownership of PSG, plus among other deals, a nice big order for French military equipment and other projects within Qatar. Makes you wonder how the French delegate voted in the Qatar World Cup bid? Plus - what nationality is the head of UEFA - and what is his stance on FFP? So what sanctions will be applied to PSG? The whole thing stinks.

Sadly I also think the domestic version of FFP here in England will be a fudge so for all the responsible diligence by heroes like Tony Bloom trying to do the right thing it will just get abused because of the influence of others with even bigger clout, - exactly the problem that FFP was intended to mitigate.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well no, it wasn't 100% of clubs. But it was the majority right? Not just the rich ones.

The clubs in League 1 and League 2 voted againgst introducing FFP regulations for those divisions, opting to stay with Salary Cost Management Protocol which has been in operation for the last 9 years.

So that leaves just the Championship in the League that are subject to FFP regulations which were voted for by 21 of the 24 clubs in the Championship in April 2012. There are only 15 of those 24 clubs still in the Championship so the regulations were actually voted for by between 12 and 15 of the current clubs.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I pretty much don't care about those clubs. They'll always find a way to beat rules like this. I do care when it's smaller clubs gambling like Pompey did as they'll simply go bust. FFP needs to be heavily followed through at our level as they are the ones likely to go bust if the gamble goes wrong. If Qatar decide they've had enough, there will be another billionaire to take care of them. Clubs with no real assets like Pompey need supporting by FFP

FFP doesn't apply to Divisions 1 and 2 of the Football League - they are running a system that was introduced in 2004.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here