Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The importance of tonight’s game (Birmingham verses Wigan)! - Official Match Thread

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Tonight Wigan are away to Birmingham City, in a crucial game for the albion. If Wigan lose, they will remain on 70 points. That means Blackburn (who play Wigan on the final day) can catch Wigan, if they beat them 3-0. This will benefit the albion, because we want Blackburn to beat Wigan to help our own chances.

Sky Bet Championship
Venue: St Andrew's Date: Tuesday, 29 April Kick-off: 19:45 BST

TEAM NEWS

Birmingham manager Lee Clark welcomes back Hayden Mullins from his loan spell with Notts County to boost their Championship survival hopes.

Defender Will Packwood (hamstring) is doubtful, while Tom Thorpe has returned to parent club Manchester United.

Wigan striker Martyn Waghorn will be included in the squad as the Latics aim to grab the three points needed to clinch a play-off spot.

Both Ben Watson (broken leg) and Chris McCann (knee) are out for the season.

MATCH FACTS

• These sides played out a goalless draw at the DW Stadium in December.

• Wigan are unbeaten in the last three meetings, although they have won only one. Birmingham's last win was 1-0 at home in the Premier League in February 2010.

• Wigan have never won at Birmingham in eight meetings in all competitions, drawing four and losing four.

Birmingham

• Birmingham have lost their last four games, conceding 11 goals in the process.

• They have kept only one clean sheet in their last 22 league games - in their 2-0 win at Charlton on 8 February.

• Birmingham have not won any of their last 17 league games at home, losing 10. Their last home win in the Championship was 4-0 against Millwall at the start of October.

Wigan

• Wigan have lost four of their last five games in all competitions, winning one. Their only win since 5 April was 3-0 against Reading at home on 18 April.

• Wigan have not won any of their last three away games, losing two. Their last win on the road was 3-1 at Ipswich on 15 March.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Huge game for us. A win for Birmingham would be massive, but they are terrible. They even lost to Leeds at the weekend. I would take a draw, but as you say then Blackburn would not have the same incentive to beat them.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This game really is MASSIVE for us. A Wigan defeat, however unlikely it seems, would effectively DOUBLE our chances of getting into the play-offs.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Huge game for us. A win for Birmingham would be massive, but they are terrible. They even lost to Leeds at the weekend. I would take a draw, but as you say then Blackburn would not have the same incentive to beat them.

A Brummy win would be ideal, but a draw wouldn't be terrible. The problem is, as you said, Birmingham are really bad this year :(. Only two wins at home from 22 games! Shocking.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Up the Brum!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just hoping Brum are going to pull it out of the bag. They should have the incentive as a win for them would *almost* guarantee them staying up.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Wigan relegated Blackburn to the champ

They are also rivals.

Plenty of incentive.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Brummy get any kind of result tonight, I think Blackburn are full of confidence and form, are unbeaten in 11 games and will want to go out on a high whether they have a chance of the play-off's or not.

You could argue that if Brummy win, then Blackburn would be playing with the added pressure of actually been able to get into the play-off's, so you can look at it any which way. Personally, I'd snatch your hand off for a Birmingham draw without hesitation with bells on.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Birmingham's home form is appalling. However they have got to win eventually. Hopefully it will be tonight

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wigan relegated Blackburn to the champ

They are also rivals.

Plenty of incentive.

Yes exactly. As I said above, if anything not being able to make the play-off's could give them freedom to just go out and play in their last home game. Not sure getting in the play-off's or not will change how difficult a game Wigan will face at Ewood.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If Wigan lose tonight then I wouldn't be surprised if one of the televised games is Blackburn v Wigan

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would love to see some stats for key end of season games to see if it really is a case of...

"Nothing to play for" - they don't care/will lose more easily, or
"Nothing to play for" - they can relax and play with freedom and might win

"Something to play for" - they will try extra hard/more likely to win, or
"Something to play for" - they'll be tense and nervy which will hinder them.

I suspect stats will show it probably makes no difference at all.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Birmingham have as much can of winning at home tonight as I do getting a ticket for Forrest. Its not going to happen. A draw would be nice though :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The only thing Birmingham have got going in this is they need to win, however, they are in that position because they are bloody awful, much as I'd love it I can't see BCFC getting anything out of this, not even a point.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Hard to see anything other than a Wigan win really. Shame that a draw effectively kills Blackburns hopes, but I would take that tbh, as Wigan would still HAVE to win against them on Saturday. Let's just hope this another one of those games which proves any team can beat anyone else in this years crazy Championship!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All runs come to an end. Why not tonight ? The more I think about this game - the more I think it possible, even likely, that Birmingham will get a result.

Indeed. And those who say "we never do well at Forest" should take heart from this stat:

Wigan have never won at Birmingham in eight meetings in all competitions, drawing four and losing four.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here