Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New phone advice

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
I remember reading a thread about this a while ago but can't seem to locate so instead I'm asking for advice. I finally need to get into the 21st century and need to get an iphone / smart phone etc etc. Main use will be for phone calls!, emails and internet use. Plus the kids will no doubt want the use for games.

Obviously not being that IT / phone savvy the main thing I am after is something simple, reliable and reasonably priced.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Don't let your kids anywhere near your phone?

Loss of info, contacts, privacy, parental control etc etc.. Plus the risks of allowing gaming whilst online - cost, add ons, roaming, read the horror stories......

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
ive just got my first smart phone last week, i got the Samsung Galaxy S5 and i have to say i am very happy with it

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you want simple, and reliable, go for an iPhone, if you want something you are prepared to learn a bit more about, and give you the facility to mod it, change it around a bit, then an Android is for you. The top of the range phones, S5, One, and iPhone are all similar (top) prices, but you can go for cheaper Android phones that do much the same stuff, but with lower specifications. There are cheaper iPhones, but not that much cheaper. The best if your not interested in going top of the range is probably the Nexus range made/commissioned by google themselves.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Motorola Moto G, about £150 without contract (don't get a contract! - or at any rate get a SIM only one)

Great phone for substantially less than 200 notes, does everything you need. You are obviously not into gadgets so no need to pay a huge premium for the higher end stuff.

That said if you do have a friend or relative who 'has' to have the latest phone get their old one off them.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Motorola Moto G, about £150 without contract (don't get a contract! - or at any rate get a SIM only one)

Great phone for substantially less than 200 notes, does everything you need. You are obviously not into gadgets so no need to pay a huge premium for the higher end stuff.

That said if you do have a friend or relative who 'has' to have the latest phone get their old one off them.

This - although you can get the Moto G for £100.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
This - although you can get the Moto G for £100.

I was guessing somewhat - felt the need to be quick before the OP makes a terrible mistake. Mind you a quick check shows £150 is about standard unlocked price.

New best advice. Buy for £99.99 on 02 PAYG, throw away 02 SIM, put in Giffgaff SIM (runs on 02 network). Should work. If not a friendly man in one of those independent phone shops will make it work for a fiver.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've had iphones and high-end androids. In my opinion the iphone is better. A decent 4s can be got on ebay for £150ish and will serve you well.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Acer do good cheap phones. They're made by LG.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've had iphones and high-end androids. In my opinion the iphone is better. A decent 4s can be got on ebay for £150ish and will serve you well.

Never really trusted ebay for this sort of stuff ...... how can you tell what "decent" is? Is there any comeback if you buy a dud?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
LG G2, it's a fair bit cheaper than the Galaxy S5 (I bought mine sim-free for £320) and is very much on a par with it. It's essentially the same hardware as the Google Nexus 5 (both made by LG) but has a few improvements including incredible battery life and a better camera.

http://www.stuff.tv/android/lg-g2/review

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Never really trusted ebay for this sort of stuff ...... how can you tell what "decent" is? Is there any comeback if you buy a dud?

You have to weigh it up, taking into account someone's feedback and looking at the description and photos. If it says "no chips, cracks or scratches" and it turns out that there are, then you can raise a dispute with ebay and they will almost always side with the buyer.
The 4s I just bought was in virtually mint condition as it had always been cased and had a screen protector on it. It's only a stop-gap until I can get a brand new one in September (or whenever the 6 comes out)

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I've had an iphone and an Android phone and I'm not that bothered either way - I'm just about to move back to Android. Iphones are in some ways simpler to use as there are fewer customisations the user can make and so you are more locked in to the Apple way of doing things, which can be tempting for a beginner as there are less potential things to 'screw up'! The iphone generally looks nicer but they do come with a premium price tag. The Apple customer service is also pretty good - I bought my iphone second hand but the Apple store happily sorted out a problem with a software update without any fuss or charge.

If you have never had a smart phone before then whatever you get is likely to seem pretty swish to begin with. If I were you I'd be tempted to get a mid-range phone for a year or so until you work out what features you like/dislike. Whether you go for a cheaper iphone 4s or a Moto G you are likely to enjoy it. I quite like the look of the windows phones but the range of apps they do are limited but it might be worth looking at something like the Nokia 520, which now seem relatively cheap so wouldn't be a big investment if you decide to upgrade after a year.

Very pleased with my Motorola G purchased a couple of months ago based on recommendations from this very board - around £130 sim free from Tesco. I haven't yet found anything that I want it to do that it can't, camera is of reasonable quality to. One unanticipated bonus for me was the that it easily synced all my contacts and calendar from Google and keeps them up dated.

Also purchased a cheap bluetooth speaker based on another recommendation from a thread here so I can annoy the family by streaming Spotify random play whilst cooking tea.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
I've had an iphone and an Android phone and I'm not that bothered either way - I'm just about to move back to Android. Iphones are in some ways simpler to use as there are fewer customisations the user can make and so you are more locked in to the Apple way of doing things, which can be tempting for a beginner as there are less potential things to 'screw up'! The iphone generally looks nicer but they do come with a premium price tag. The Apple customer service is also pretty good - I bought my iphone second hand but the Apple store happily sorted out a problem with a software update without any fuss or charge.

If you have never had a smart phone before then whatever you get is likely to seem pretty swish to begin with. If I were you I'd be tempted to get a mid-range phone for a year or so until you work out what features you like/dislike. Whether you go for a cheaper iphone 4s or a Moto G you are likely to enjoy it. I quite like the look of the windows phones but the range of apps they do are limited but it might be worth looking at something like the Nokia 520, which now seem relatively cheap so wouldn't be a big investment if you decide to upgrade after a year.

Ta, helpful stuff for a technaphobe like me, iphone 4 or moto G for a starting point I think

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Is upgrading really necessary these days? I know in the olde days, Nokia would come out with a new handset every 6 months, but we seem to have reached a point where the latest innovations are out there, unless you want to wear internet spectacles, an internet watch, hover boots etc.

I've had the same iPhone4s for getting on three years now and see no reason to buy another; sure a new one would be a nanosecond faster and weigh a microgramme less... but maybe that's my age showing, I can't be arsed with learning how to work another one now I'm so used to this one!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Android, I am on Samsung and I would never go back to Apple. You're not restricted to extras at influence costs and quality of my s4 is great. Not seen s5 yet but I would get that :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here