Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My mother-in-law uses a microwave which is 30+ years old

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
She refuses to change/upgrade because a) it still works and b) it's a (very good) oven too.

Do your folks/grandparents refuse to give up very old appliances?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I refuse to give up my Nokia 6330i Classic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
She refuses to change/upgrade because a) it still works and b) it's a (very good) oven too.

Don't know about my folks, or grandparent, but I refuse to give up very old appliances if they are still working!

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
My Nan had an old faithful Trinitron before the switchover when it became obsolete. Not sure how old it was, but it was pretty ancient.

This thread could be interesting, they don't make things like they used to. Consumer items in the 21st century are very much built to break after 3-10 years. Oh the joys of rampant capitalism.

Couldn't she have bought a cheap set-top box? Agree about modern consumer items (and the cause!).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Couldn't she have bought a cheap set-top box? Agree about modern consumer items (and the cause!).

Cheap ones towards the end usually only had SCART output; doubt that had a SCART input.

My grandmother has a marginally newer TV that does have SCART and she has a Sky+HD box on it - got conned by a salesman that the analogue cable was going to be turned off too when it hasn't been. Has a 1960s electric cooker and a similarly old fridge/freezer that both work fine too although I suspect the energy efficiency of the oven on the cooker and the entire fridge are atrocious.

As goes new kit failing - you have to remember survivor bias here. In the 1970s everyone claimed new electronics were "not built like they used to" as all the 1940s/50s stuff left were the ones that didn't fall apart when new. We now say the same about the 70s kit. Realistically electrical items build quality has hugely increased -TVs for one no longer need to go to get repaired frequently like they did; but the lead-free solder we have to use now is crap and will fail.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't know about my folks, or grandparent, but I refuse to give up very old appliances if they are still working!

Apple would be out of business if everyone did that...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My Microwave is 25 years old and still going strong, it's big and has a digital timing pad, so you can time accurately and repeatedly in seconds. Works fine. My toaster was my Mums, must be over 40 years old. Adjustable bread or roll size, it has two bars that look like bars from an electric fire rather than the flimsy things they put in modern toasters.
I am also much older than any of my appliances, just because something is old don't make the mistake that it has no value.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I miss my mother's mangle.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I still frequently use a 60 year old Grandmother, she's just a few months younger than I am.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I still have the first microwave that was bought for the family home and it's about 30 years old. Got it from Beejams that used to be in Blatchington Road in the early - mid 80's.

I left home with the microwave and it just keeps on going so would be a shame to dump it when it is working.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My grandmother has a very fine gas cooker that has just been condemned after 60 years of service. It got a bit shaky around 50 but an old school british gas man was very fond of it and went above and beyond to keep it going. Alas after he went to the scrapheap the cooker was always going to be close behind.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My grandmother has a very fine gas cooker has just been condemned after 60 years of service. It got a bit shaky around 50 but an old school british gas man was very fond of it and went above and beyond to keep it going. Alas after he went to the scrapheap the cooker was always going to be close behind.

Are you talking about your grandmother or her appliance? :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I will be playing Chuckie Egg on my ZX Spectrum later.

Can I ask why you are using an avatar that blatantly defames the life of an innocencent young girl who's life was cut short by the nazi regime?
I think it's in terrible bad taste!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My maternal grandparents (both deceased by 1998) didn't have a fridge. They had a big deep freezer and a pantry/larder. Anything fresh needed, they would nip to the village (Hurst) and buy from the butcher.

They never used to buy mince, but would use a very archaic handle mincer attached to the wall.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here