Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Any current or ex copper/CID willing to help with research for a book?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Completely off topic but thought I'd try here...

Alongside my rather dull day job, I'm in the early stages of writing my first book but could really use some help on Police procedures. Maybe a serving or ex police officer or a criminal lawyer could advise.

Unfortunately, the central police officer in the story won't come out in a great light which I feel I ought to be open & upfront about (and why I'm not just approaching the Force's PR directly!).

Anyone who can help or knows someone who can I'd greatly appreciate a PM.

A few pints of whatever (and the obligatory mention in the thank yous if I'm ever published) for anyone willing to give up a little time to be quizzed.

Cheers guys.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Good luck fella. I've been trying to get my 'first book' published for years now. Have just started a free online Open University creative writing course (possibly not to late to join - Google 'Future Learn') about character writing.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Can't help sadly but good luck with the book. Are you setting it locally?

It will be set locally, but the 3 main scenes are the main character's house; a courtroom (with flashback type descriptions of the events); and then the lead detective's home; so the location actually isn't all that important as nothing really happens outdoors.

Good luck fella. I've been trying to get my 'first book' published for years now. Have just started a free online Open University creative writing course (possibly not to late to join - Google 'Future Learn') about character writing.

I do use a few online resources to help me, but nothing formal. Have you looked at the self-publication route? I know a few people who have done each each way.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I do use a few online resources to help me, but nothing formal. Have you looked at the self-publication route? I know a few people who have done each each way.

The feedback from literary agents gets better with every rejection letter, and to me self publishing is throwing in the towel, although Book Guild Publishing in Hove are an interesting publishing house for 'pseudo' self publishing. That OU course starts this week, so might be worth a look for you.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The feedback from literary agents gets better with every rejection letter, and to me self publishing is throwing in the towel, although Book Guild Publishing in Hove are an interesting publishing house for 'pseudo' self publishing. That OU course starts this week, so might be worth a look for you.

Cheer's for the heads up on this - just signed up myself!!!! What a brilliant website it is.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Cheers so much for this. Just joined.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Cheers so much for this. Just joined.

Can you please write some character building stories about you and you're mrs on there please, it would make my day when reading and evaluating them!!! :D

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Can you please write some character building stories about you and you're mrs on there please, it would make my day when reading and evaluating them!!! :D

Indeed I can. Not a day passes where my ability to help her with her confidence issues fails to build me as a person. I look forward to your reviews. But in recognition of your interest I'll give you a freebie in advance. Only yesterday she was at home (when isn't she) in floods of tears saying her mother had called and said that she was feeling really ill and could she come over straight away. Now obviously I pointed out that her mother really should be calling an ambulance and not her daughter, pointing out that even if she was medically qualified, as a nervous wreck she'd probably struggle to be of any help. I wish I could adequately put into words the effect this had. But I can't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here