Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lunacy of the town that turned Green

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Penned by a failed fiction writer possibly?
So? Unfortunately this isn't fiction. The greens have been bad for our city, IMO.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why mention that Phelim McCafferty is gay or Kitcat has a foreign born wife?

Oh yeah, if your're trying to convince a readership of bigots of something it helps to pander to their bigotry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why mention that Phelim McCafferty is gay or Kitcat has a foreign born wife?

Oh yeah, if your're trying to convince a readership of bigots of something it helps to pander to their bigotry.
Well indeed, the daily hate is more embarrassing than a failed council. But at least I don't have to pay for the daily hate.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So Mustafa, every time you disagree with something I say you're going to give me a Thumbs down. You really are a tw@. Here, since you love the thumbs down so much, have 20 on me.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So? Unfortunately this isn't fiction. The greens have been bad for our city, IMO.

Well I can tell you for a fact that meat free Mondays never got further than being just a menu idea, and the fact that there aren't any manual workers in the only council building that has a canteen.
Fiction.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As much as the Greens have made errors, it is very convenient to blame them for a number of policies that were merely continuations from the previous administration. Lewes Road bus lanes being one. As well as this, the other two major parties could have ousted them at any time, if they regarded them as so incompetent. But they haven't. So either the day to day running of things that the Greens have authority over (remember much of what happens is down to individual departments as opposed to councillors themselves) is not as bad a claimed, or political careers come first.

Either way, with more massive waves of cuts to budgets due, the next local election is a good one to lose.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seven Dials was incepted long ago and the public demanded that the tree was saved. I'd say a council listening to the tax payers was a progressive one.

The new roundabout is much better from my experience.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not noticing much lunacy around town on a day to day basis, has to be said. People are voting Green for a more pleasant environment in which to live. More of a local failing of the Labour party than anything that let the Greens in.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As much as the Greens have made errors, it is very convenient to blame them for a number of policies that were merely continuations from the previous administration. Lewes Road bus lanes being one. As well as this, the other two major parties could have ousted them at any time, if they regarded them as so incompetent. But they haven't. So either the day to day running of things that the Greens have authority over (remember much of what happens is down to individual departments as opposed to councillors themselves) is not as bad a claimed, or political careers come first.

Either way, with more massive waves of cuts to budgets due, the next local election is a good one to lose.

The Lewes Road and 20mph zones were already being planned before they came in, so contrary to them claiming it for themselves it doesn’t have much to do with them.

There are many other things they have failed with one being not turning their attention to a state of the art leisure centre for the community at the King Alfred and going for the i360 instead.

And if you are not a Green supporter they wont take any notice of you, even if you are not aligned to any other party and are neutral.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Seven Dials was incepted long ago and the public demanded that the tree was saved. I'd say a council listening to the tax payers was a progressive one.

The new roundabout is much better from my experience.

No they don't listen to tax payers, and they used the tree as a publicity stunt, any other party would have done the same. It was pleasant, safe, story that had no comeback which makes it have the impression that they are listening to the public. They don't want to listen to really important stuff and the town is more geared to the holiday makers and transients than to the people who live and were born here.

I quite liked the old roundabout, when it was every man for himself, but the new one gives the less experienced driver and pedestrians a fighting chance. But as you say the changes there had been on the table for many years.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
No they don't listen to tax payers, and they used the tree as a publicity stunt, any other party would have done the same. It was pleasant, safe, story that had no comeback which makes it have the impression that they are listening to the public. They don't want to listen to really important stuff and the town is more geared to the holiday makers and transients than to the people who live and were born here.

I quite liked the old roundabout, when it was every man for himself, but the new one gives the less experienced driver and pedestrians a fighting chance. But as you say the changes there had been on the table for many years.

Biggest load of twaddle I have ever read on here!!

How on earth was the tree being saved a Green 'publicity stunt'?! And the fact that it was eventually saved surely confirms that they DO listen to the people ffs?!!!

And perhaps you'd like to explain how we are now 'geared up' for 'transients'?!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
So Mustafa, every time you disagree with something I say you're going to give me a Thumbs down.

Erm, isn't that the whole point of the thumbs up/down thingy?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Erm, isn't that the whole point of the thumbs up/down thingy?
People don't seem to use it that way. People generally only give the Thumbs down for completely stupid obnoxious posts. I think I'd only ever given about 10 in total, and I felt a bit petty doing that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As a local to seven dials, there is no doubt in my mind that the new roundabout is a massive improvement both as a driver and a pedestrian. Without the traffic lights the waiting times have been greatly reduced whether on foot or in a car. Looks a lot better too.

Also note what the Green Party have done for the Level, including winning a £2m grant to make it happen. Unlike other councils, they clearly have no intention of letting Brighton become as run down as the rest of the country.

Getting a grant to upgrade a park is only a standard achievement that any council would have done.

What about something more committing like setting a standard for the King Alfred rather than trying to squeeze 450 residential units on the site in the new policy. They are quite happy to jump on the i360 for tourists but not a state of the art leisure centre for the tax payers.

We have one of the worst sports infrastructure in the country, and is clearly substandard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here