Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pride restored

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The fact that there are only 6 teams left with a chance of getting the last promotion spot, and we're one of them, shows that we've had a much better season than some were predicting just a few weeks ago.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thirteen points from the last 7 games is a good run and whatever happens re the play-offs, a win next saturday will have resulted in a good season. If we are still in the Championship, I believe we will have a stronger season and with a little bit of tinkering, could be an automatic promotion bet.
OG admits he has learnt a lot this season and it will be interesting to see his progress next.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
There are understandable differences of opinion regarding the quality of football and whether we have over or underachieved this season, but what is without doubt to me is the respectful and dignified way the management team have behaved throughout, which is a very welcome return to how things should be done.

Feb 14, 2010
Pride has been restored? What nonsense. The players either win promotion and succeed or the don't and fail. The players play in front of 28000 crowds in the Championship and as the BBC say "players have to earn the right to play in front of big crowds". Its looking like this team has failed to earn that right. If they do fall short of promotion then I expect OG / TB will be showing some the door in close season as a result. There are no excuses or platitudes for failure.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Pride has been restored? What nonsense. The players either win promotion and succeed or the don't and fail. The players play in front of 28000 crowds in the Championship and as the BBC say "players have to earn the right to play in front of big crowds". Its looking like this team has failed to earn that right. If they do fall short of promotion then I expect OG / TB will be showing some the door in close season as a result. There are no excuses or platitudes for failure.

Wow, you must have a double degree in missing the point and one-note symphonies.

Feb 14, 2010
Wow, you must have a double degree in missing the point and one-note symphonies.

I just read the title. If the title is not what its about then fair enough. As for one note symphonies, well its time these bottom lines sunk in at this club with our playing staff.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
There are understandable differences of opinion regarding the quality of football and whether we have over or underachieved this season, but what is without doubt to me is the respectful and dignified way the management team have behaved throughout, which is a very welcome return to how things should be done.

Agreed, and Oscar's behaviour and calmness has filtered through to the team. I can't recall too many booking for dissent and other stupid offences which has meant we have had very few suspensions in comparison to the previous 2 years where it was a major issue.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm certainly feeling optimistic for next season even if things don't go our way on Saturday - well done Oscar, Tony and the players...onwards and upwards. :smile:

No there are genuinely different opinions on this. And that's OK

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I just read the title. If the title is not what its about then fair enough. As for one note symphonies, well its time these bottom lines sunk in at this club with our playing staff.

I don't understand how playing in front of big crowds is supposed to consistently make you a better player than you actually are, and I haven't seen any lack of effort this season. Yes we have a good squad and some good players, but I seriously think many fans overrate exactly how good we are.

Feb 14, 2010
I don't understand how playing in front of big crowds is supposed to consistently make you a better player than you actually are, and I haven't seen any lack of effort this season. Yes we have a good squad and some good players, but I seriously think many fans overrate exactly how good we are.

Ask the BBC and they will explain it to you but put it this way, Hartlepool dont expect to win the Premier League, Man United do.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Ask the BBC and they will explain it to you but put it this way, Hartlepool dont expect to win the Premier League, Man United do.

If I were to create a list of critical reasons why a team are successful I doubt whether large crowds would make the top 20.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

So all you ever do is believe what the BBC tell you ?

Feb 14, 2010
If I were to create a list of critical reasons why a team are successful I doubt whether large crowds would make the top 20.

Fans of clubs with large crowds do expect the club to assemble a squad who are good enough to earn the right to play in front of a large crowd. Hence Man United aim to win the Premier League and Hartlepool dont. The players at Brighton are either good enough to play in front of 28000 in the Championship or they are not. Ambition is what it is about and what a solid base this club has.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Fans of clubs with large crowds do expect the club to assemble a squad who are good enough to earn the right to play in front of a large crowd. Hence Man United aim to win the Premier League and Hartlepool dont. The players at Brighton are either good enough to play in front of 28000 in the Championship or they are not. Ambition is what it is about and what a solid base this club has.

So it's our current players fault that the owners are unwilling to destabilise the club by replacing them with better players that we can't afford if we want to adhere to FFP? Odd logic.

Feb 14, 2010
So it's our current players fault that the owners are unwilling to destabilise the club by replacing them with better players that we can't afford if we want to adhere to FFP? Odd logic.

How do you read that into the simple fact that clubs with a large support like Newcaste, Man U or Aston Villa expect to do better than Hartlepool, Rochdale and Brentford. Wh that logic shouldnt apply to Brighton is something that only a few Brighton fans quite comfortable with not seeking to maximise this clubs potential understand. 28000 for the Championship is a solid start, but that is all it is. This club needs what it has never had (well maybe Bamber did) ambition, and true desire to succeed so that failure is just seen for what it is, failure. You either succeed or you dont. It looks like this side will fail, but we shall see. If they do fail then no platitudes, no patting them on the back and feeling sorry for them for a plucky effort. If they fail, they fail, and that will be that for this team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here