Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus going to pull off the miracle at Sunderland

Will Gus keep Sunderland up?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two massively impressive results over the last two weekends. Do you think he will keep Sunderland up? 3 home games out of 4 and all winnable. I reckon he will.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We might need him to, to get Norwich down.

I can see him pulling it off.

So many possibilities. Is it me, or is it much more interesting this year in the two top divisions?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
z9vRY.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So many possibilities. Is it me, or is it much more interesting this year in the two top divisions?

It's been a fantastically close season in all the divisions. Personally, as a football fan as well as an Albion fan, it's been the best season for a long time.

Oh, go on Gus !

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Sunderland 2-0 now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As they are now 2-0 up and out the bottom three, I would suggest he is going to keep them up. Its not a miracle, however. Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich are truly awful and Villa not much better.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully we've got a staying up payment clause in Bridcutt's contract.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Should it have been a penalty and a red carc? I'm minded to say the decision was correct.

A red card yes but the offence happened outside the box.
Also if you allow an advantage to be played you cannot go back afterwards can you ?
Did he actually allow the advantage or was the whistle just not heard.
The ref is not a rugby union fan is he ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never a penalty in a million years. Red card debatable. Phil Dowd must like Gus, or is under instruction from The Premier League to get the Welsh out :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Pretty much covers it......

According to the principle of advantage, play should be allowed to continue when the team against which an offence has been committed will benefit from ongoing play. The referee indicates this by calling "advantage" and extending both arms in front of his body.

This means that a foul will not be called if letting play continue is more advantageous to the fouled team than stopping play for a free kick. However, if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time, the referee may then stop play and penalize the original offence. The advantage can also apply when a penalty kick originally would be called.

In rare situations, advantage can also be applied if the foul would have also resulted in a caution (yellow card) or send off (red card). Play is allowed to continue, but at the next stoppage in play the caution or send off must be issued and the appropriate card displayed.[5]

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He probably will.

I've enjoyed his struggle and stress this season and I have grown not to begrudge him staying up.

Cardiff and Tan do not deserve to stay up and they would have had a chance if they kept Malky.

Norwich sacking Hughton has killed off any chance of them staying up.

Fulham have played some good football under Felix Magath and may have a chance so it's between Sunderland and Fulham, but you have to give the advantage to the team with a game in hand. If Sunderland get 3 points from the next 3 games it will probably see them ok.

Aug 23, 2011
A red card yes but the offence happened outside the box.
Also if you allow an advantage to be played you cannot go back afterwards can you ?
Did he actually allow the advantage or was the whistle just not heard.
The ref is not a rugby union fan is he ?

Refs seem to be playing more advantage and going back to offence if nothing gained. I think the ref did it in our game on Friday albeit for a middle of the park foul rather than in a key position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here