Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ready for the Premier League

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What does this phrase mean?

It's usually prefixed by "We're not..." and then, maybe, suffixed by "...so I don't want us to go up".

I ask because the only sensible interpretation I can attach to it is that there is a belief that "we" (and it doesn't have to be talking about the Albion) do not have a team/squad that is capable of competing in the Premier League.

If that's the case, then I simply ask: who has been ready?

The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League is so great that the only hope any promoted team has of "being ready" and vaguely competitive is to splash some of that incoming cash to strengthen where they see fit.

Has any Championship team ever truly "been ready" for promotion?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Southampton, Newcastle

Southampton spent a shed load. I have no real recollection of what Newcastle did when they were last promoted, but I guess a general exception to what I'm saying is a team that is relegated, holds onto most of their squad and bounce straight back up.

D

Deleted member 18477

Leicester and Burnley are ready... All other championship teams aren't just yet...

Simple.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think it's more that people have begun to use it as a buzzword because Paul Barber mentioned it once...or using it as a rod to beat the club over the head with.

I don't think any newly promoted club is really "ready" for the PL, because they won't know what to expect. Unless you're a club that bounces back immediately then the league changes so much. Even Burnley, who haven't been out of the PL for a long period of time in the scheme of things will find it a steep learning curve...largely due to the gulf between the PL and the Football League.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Team that springs to mind is Bolton wanderers

EDIT just seen post 3

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Leicester and Burnley are ready... All other championship teams aren't just yet...

Simple.

Really ?

Leicester could JUST about stay up without changing their squad, but Burnley are going to need to get a fair few new players in - much like Palace. Just because the have won automatic promotion, it doesnt make them ready.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's more that people have begun to use it as a buzzword because Paul Barber mentioned it once...or using it as a rod to beat the club over the head with.

I don't think any newly promoted club is really "ready" for the PL, because they won't know what to expect. Unless you're a club that bounces back immediately then the league changes so much. Even Burnley, who haven't been out of the PL for a long period of time in the scheme of things will find it a steep learning curve...largely due to the gulf between the PL and the Football League.

I think Bozza is talking about the squad. The expression you refer to is the slightly lame "Premier League ready" that Barber (to my eyes) uses to describe the overall club infrastructure: have we got the processes and facilities in place to cope if we got there, that sort of thing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
CP weren't ''ready'' as was shown in there opening few months..but got it sorted...i personally don't see Leicester as having a squad for the prem....talking about teams that were...Norwich?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think the gap between the bottom half of the Premiership and the top six or so of the Championship is smaller than it has been. The gap between the top half though is probably much better than the bottom half.

Most teams going up are not spending big but trying to stay up nonetheless. Palace have done well, there are several other examples.

I therefore think any team that goes up is ready for the Premiership.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think Bozza is talking about the squad. The expression you refer to is the slightly lame "Premier League ready" that Barber (to my eyes) uses to describe the overall club infrastructure: have we got the processes and facilities in place to cope if we got there, that sort of thing.

Ah, i see that now upon re-reading it. Fair enough, ignore me!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Bozza is talking about the squad.

I'm not really as I don't use the phrase. I'd never say anything along the lines of "I don't think we're ready to go up". But others do, and I'm not sure what they mean, which is what I'm asking about. I can only assume they are talking about the team/squad but, if so, I don't think anyone is really "ready".

And it's not just Albion fans. On Friday, whilst viewing a house (that had a BHA plated car in the drive and a signed Albion shirt on the wall of the study) the Reading supporting agent told me he thought they would beat us to the play-offs but he didn't want them to go up as "we're not ready".

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
There are three types of ready, Financially ready, Player ready and style ready.

You need at least two of the three to survive, I think Palace had the players but struggled till they got the style they needed until they got Pulis.

Sunderland had the finances but blew it because they bought the wrong players.

Southampton are the only team I think that have all three and that only happened after getting rid of Adkins

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
It's just another tired old cliche the tired old pundits trot out at this time of the season.

They are some excellent former pros who talk alot of sense when commentating/analysing football - Pat Nevin, Graeme Le Saux, Richard Langley jump to mind.

Yet the regulars - Shearer, Savage, Claridge, Owen, Townsend etc etc just talk non stop cliches.

D

Deleted member 18477

Really ?

Leicester could JUST about stay up without changing their squad, but Burnley are going to need to get a fair few new players in - much like Palace. Just because the have won automatic promotion, it doesnt make them ready.

For me if you get promoted you're ready as you're better than the championship standard. Infrastructure is the icing on the cake.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
For me if you get promoted you're ready as you're better than the championship standard. Infrastructure is the icing on the cake.

maybe but still a void between took good for the Championship & Prem standard - thats what makes Bridcutts transfer interesting, I think both Leicester and burnley will struggle next season

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It means nothing really. Any club should take the chance to get promoted as the opportunity may never come round again. The people who claim that we're not 'ready' usually follow it up by assuming we will be up there at the end of the season after, which is totally delusional given the unpredictability of the league.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The phrase is like "focus on the league" after being knocked out of a cup competition. It is something people say to make it seem like they're not disappointed we didn't go up, or that our form hasn't been good enough to give us a chance to go up. If we were in Leicester's position, no one would be saying it, in the same way no one looks at cup games and wants to lose so we can focus on the league, they only say it after we are eliminated.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The prem is overrated apart from the top 10, lower than that anyone can now survive in the division with a bit of sensible spending decent manager with a strong dressing room of characters and fighting spirit
40 PTS is usually the points tally to safety
10 wins
10 draws
18 defeats is enough to stay up
People hype up the prem as it's some super powerful league when really below 10th it's very average

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here