Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get out of town

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I was told by a Yeovil fan that the Amex must be the furthest 'out of town' stadium in the country. I couldn't really think of any others, perhaps except for Bolton, but I was sure that there must be plenty. I looked online to see if there were any data out there on this, but couldn't find any. So I made some.

Below is a chart of all 92 clubs, listed in order of the distance from their ground to the 'city centre' of the place they represent.

distance_ground_centre.jpg

The figures derived were from the most direct walking route from the ground to wherever Google Maps considers the 'city centre', according to Google Maps, rounded to one tenth of a mile.

Some points:
- For Millwall, you have to cross the Thames to get from Millwall to South Bermondsey, so this figure was adjusted
- Likewise, the route is circuitous for Wigan for the same reason (a river)
- Both Bristol clubs represent 'Bristol', rather than the areas of the city that they are from
- Coventry's distance is to the Ricoh Arena, otherwise the stats would have been skewed
- Dagenham and Redbridge and Brighton and Hove Albion are to the first city in their titles, respectively
- Port Vale's distance is from Burslem
- QPR's distance is from Queen's Park station (Google didn't recognise this as an area)
- In the few instances where strange routes are given, because of the ways roads are laid out, I have adjusted

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not being picky, the Liverpool/Everton one concerns me. They are separated simply by a modest sized park, yet the distances from City Centre are remarkably different.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Emirates Stadium has to be more than 10 miles from Woolwich

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think a more appropriate chart would be for the most accessible stadia. Strangely enough, Yeovil Town is the most painstaking one I know for public transport.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not being picky, the Liverpool/Everton one concerns me. They are separated simply by a modest sized park, yet the distances from City Centre are remarkably different.

I guess he has Everton as representing Everton area of Liverpool rather than Liverpool, which makes sense.

QPR is wrong surely?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I was told by a Yeovil fan that the Amex must be the furthest 'out of town' stadium in the country. I couldn't really think of any others, perhaps except for Bolton, but I was sure that there must be plenty. I looked online to see if there were any data out there on this, but couldn't find any. So I made some.

Below is a chart of all 92 clubs, listed in order of the distance from their ground to the 'city centre' of the place they represent.

View attachment 53152

The figures derived were from the most direct walking route from the ground to wherever Google Maps considers the 'city centre', according to Google Maps, rounded to one tenth of a mile.

Some points:
- For Millwall, you have to cross the Thames to get from Millwall to South Bermondsey, so this figure was adjusted
- Likewise, the route is circuitous for Wigan for the same reason (a river)
- Both Bristol clubs represent 'Bristol', rather than the areas of the city that they are from
- Coventry's distance is to the Ricoh Arena, otherwise the stats would have been skewed
- Dagenham and Redbridge and Brighton and Hove Albion are to the first city in their titles, respectively
- Port Vale's distance is from Burslem
- QPR's distance is from Queen's Park station (Google didn't recognise this as an area)
- In the few instances where strange routes are given, because of the ways roads are laid out, I have adjusted

Is there a chart for distances from rail stations?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I did Everton from Everton.
Everton is part of Liverpool, and is in the same city as Liverpool FC. It is not the centre of anywhere.

Manchester United is actually in Trafford, not in Manchester at all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Then our stadium is in the centre of Falmer. You cannot pick city centres for some teams and districts for others.

If we were called Falmer FC then our stadium would not be out of town, but we are not. As Everton are called "Everton" it surely makes sense to say they are representing Everton rather than Liverpool. Or am I mental?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If we were called Falmer FC then our stadium would not be out of town, but we are not. As Everton are called "Everton" it surely makes sense to say they are representing Everton rather than Liverpool. Or am I mental?

But what difference does that make to travelling fans?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, but I'm not having Yeovil fans complaining about accessibility, of all clubs. Huish Park is a total nightmare to get to unless you drive, and even then, it's a crap drive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here