Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Good Manners a thing of the past?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just looked in the Away Tickets wanted section and there are about 7 adverts for tickets ranging from 1 ticket wanted to 3 and not one single person has said the special word....... "PLEASE" maybe it's just me being old fashioned? or is it how it's done these days?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just looked in the Away Tickets wanted section and there are about 7 adverts for tickets ranging from 1 ticket wanted to 3 and not one single person has said the special word....... "PLEASE" maybe it's just me being old fashioned? or is it how it's done these days?

Well, on a positive note I have just sorted out one with a ticket and he said thank you

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Sadly I think you are right,I like watching quiz programmes and contestants when asked a question...(i.e. Question or nominate)...none of them say "Question PLEASE," hardly anyone says "Thank you" if you,open a door for them...you just get a grunt.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Sadly I think you are right,I like watching quiz programmes and contestants when asked a question...(i.e. Question or nominate)...none of them say "Question PLEASE," hardly anyone says "Thank you" if you,open a door for them...you just get a grunt.

It was always drummed into me as a child that "Manners cost nothing" my wife and I passed this attitude onto our children who thankfully do practice good manners, as I say maybe I am old fashioned with regard to this, but it does seem that manners are becoming a thing of the past...... hopefully I am wrong.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
On my last trip abroad my Wife and I were mistaken for Irish by Hotel Staff, I was told that this was because we smiled and said please and thank you when asking for and receiving service, apparently Brits don't do this generally but the Irish do.

I hate to be the manners police but I do sometimes pull people up for being impolite, especially if the person they are being impolite to is in no position to do it themselves.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Thank you for raising this matter, sadly good manners do not seem to be important to enough people. It is the trait I find most annoying in people when a simple courtesy costs nothing but can be so rewarding.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I agree, it really is a shame and it separates us from the 'animals'.
Over here you are lucky to get a grunt.
At the checkout in shops, when they ask for the money, I can't help myself from saying, 'please' and when I get the change, 'thank you', for the cashier, as I know that is will not be voluntary.
If you were to be so bold as to hold the door open for anyone, there is always the, 'what are you after' sort of response.
On the roads it just a waste of time expecting any kind of thanks for letting someone in, or waving them on.
It's getting to feel like I was born in the wrong time, back to the 1920's would do.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think manners are on their way out, yes. Owning a shop, I see it a lot where people hardly acknowledge you and rarely say please and thank you when asking questions.
My real bugbear is when someone wants serving but refuses to get off their phone - I find this very rude and annoying.
I suspect it is a byproduct of cell phones/the internet de-personalising everything and this is carrying over into everyday interactions.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your right. Annoys me when people don't say Thank you, please.
Don't dare offer your seat up to anyone on public transport because they might be Elderly or Pregnant, you might offend someone.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I was at the checkout in Sainsbury's once and the assistant hadn't said please or thank you all the way through scanning my shopping. At the end I said to him "Don't you know the words please and thank you?" He grunted "whaatt?" I repeated what I had said at which point a supervisor came over and asked if I had a problem. I said that I was trying to ask the assistant whether he knew the words please or thank you as he didn't use them often. She didn't seem impressed by my asking which says it all really, but the till assistant had gone a strange shade of crimson.

I am always polite, and get annoyed when others are rude.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
On my last trip abroad my Wife and I were mistaken for Irish by Hotel Staff, I was told that this was because we smiled and said please and thank you when asking for and receiving service, apparently Brits don't do this generally but the Irish do.

I hate to be the manners police but I do sometimes pull people up for being impolite, especially if the person they are being impolite to is in no position to do it themselves.

Can't agree with this unless it's one of the resorts from hell that sell English breakfasts 24 hours a day. I think when you go abroad we have the best manners still, so many foreigners have poor manners, pushing past not saying please or thank you in shops or resteraunts. Also they have no manners on the road if you let people out etc.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
In short "yes". Seems like the majority of people spend more time with their phones nowadays and don't actually know how to communicate "properly" with humans. #rudeignorant*******s

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
I was at the checkout in Sainsbury's once and the assistant hadn't said please or thank you all the way through scanning my shopping. At the end I said to him "Don't you know the words please and thank you?" He grunted "whaatt?" I repeated what I had said at which point a supervisor came over and asked if I had a problem. I said that I was trying to ask the assistant whether he knew the words please or thank you as he didn't use them often. She didn't seem impressed by my asking which says it all really, but the till assistant had gone a strange shade of crimson.

I am always polite, and get annoyed when others are rude.

I am sure many mainstream supermarkets have it in their training criteria that being rude and ignorant to customers will get them pay rises / promotion! I appreciate some individuals are naturally polite but sadly from my (and your's by the looks of things!) experience most come across with an attitude of "think yourself lucky I'm serving you"

Like you I always add the "please" and "thank you" for those that can't be bothered, it's a waste of time as they just look at you like your an alien!!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I am sure many mainstream supermarkets have it in their training criteria that being rude and ignorant to customers will get them pay rises / promotion! I appreciate some individuals are naturally polite but sadly from my (and your's by the looks of things!) experience most come across with an attitude of "think yourself lucky I'm serving you"

Like you I always add the "please" and "thank you" for those that can't be bothered, it's a waste of time as they just look at you like your an alien!!

Maybe we are aliens and they are the humans?? Now that is scary as the future of mankind is in their hands.:eek:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's a start I guess :shrug: (which one as I doubt he will have the manners to let me know its a done deal!! :lol: )

It's not a done deal, until the ticket is my hands. :)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Since I moved down here, I've always noticed that people are more surly in the south east. I'm not sure that's changed in 18 years, but it's telling that I'm always surprised when someone is courteous, slightly sad I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here