Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was moyes just a buffer

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Have man utd been very subtle in how they replace the great sir Alex ferguson.

Replacing the greatest manager that British football has ever seen was always going to be a huge task.

By giving the job to David moyes knowing that he was inheriting a team that was way past it's best & needing to rebuild.

Letting David moyes be the buffer between sir Alex & the next big name manager I think is very clever.

The next manager won't be following sir Alex but clearing up the mess that David moyes left

VERY CLEVER

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Replacing the greatest manager that British football has ever seen was always going to be a huge task.

By giving the job to David moyes knowing that he was inheriting a team that was way past it's best & needing to rebuild.

Letting David moyes be the buffer between sir Alex & the next big name manager I think is very clever.

The next manager won't be following sir Alex but clearing up the mess that David moyes left

VERY CLEVER

Very Clever? Not really they gave him a 6 year contract so he will make many millions out of it. If they were even slightly clever it would have been a 2 or 3 max year contract.

Last edited:

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

VERY CLEVER

You have read way too much into this!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Is that really all he has got? I know the LMA are up in arms about it, not that they helped Gus that much, although the Moyes sacking is much different.

Yep looks like there was a clause about not qualifying for Europe which was triggered meaning just 1 years comp still I am sure he will be ok on 5 mil.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I'm just expressing my opinion.

I thought I would be hammered over this but it dosent seem to be the case.

You may not agree with me but you cannot disagree with me either.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm just expressing my opinion.

I thought I would be hammered over this but it dosent seem to be the case.

You may not agree with me but you cannot disagree with me either.

I know it's late, but if people "may not agree with you", aren't they disagreeing with you, by default?

I'm not sure I entirely go along with your theory, but it does surprise me why none of the names being mentioned now (or even those that were of a similar calibre this time last year), were mentioned when SAF said he was leaving. Did he have THAT much power that he effectively chose Moyes as manager? Have the managers being suggested now come from nowhere over the past 12 months? Would any of them fared any better than Moyes this season?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think clubs/business like ManU have "buffers" unless they are stated interim positions. he was a serious appointment as witnessed by the length of contract, and they probably expected a poorer finish than Fergie's last as Moyes begun to rebuild. he failed to do anything towards rebuilding while performances became lacklusture, and with not even making Europa League, that was too much for them to accomodate in their plans.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You have read way too much into this!

Not necessarily. It might not have been their choice though. Which of the top managers would have wanted to follow immediately in the footsteps of Ferguson. May well be that they sounded out those that they wanted and found that none were interested at that time or made their excuses. Different kettle of fish now.

Having said that, one of the criticisms was that Moyes was not appointed until 1st July, thus delaying his transfer dealings. If they go for Van Gaal then he won't be available until Holland exit the world cup which could be as late as the middle of July!!!

(Can people stop going on about Moyes 6 yr contract. It has already been reported that he only gets a year pay-off because they failed to qualify for the Champions League)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I see what you mean but if they're that cheesed off about not getting into the Champions League then they wouldn't have appointed him as a buffer in the first place, they thought or hoped he could do it but he didn't deliver so therefore he went. Feel sorry for the guy but he always knew the job would be tough.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bit of a daft post by the OP, I think.

While following Alex Ferguson is a difficult task, it's not impossible for a top class manager. Does the OP really think the Man Utd deliberately decided to choose a manager who would take them to 7th position, no Champions League football and no trophies, making themselves into a laughing stock, just to clear the ground for the next manager?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Okay. Alex Ferguson was rapidly going over the hill, and had failed to redevelop an increasingly geriatric team. Poor old codger couldn't do another year so some fool had to be enticed into doing the job pending the end of the World Cup when "another" candidate would become available. Now, under the guise of being matey (or whatever the Jock term is) Ferguson gives the (interim) job to Moyes knowing that at worst he'll get a bumper pay off. Quick word to the players at his leaving "do" along the lines of "don't put your decrepit selves out" and to v.Persil clean the toys out of your pram, and off upstairs to await the fruits of these last labours.

And, presto, another Sir A masterpiece, and the soon to be appointed and annointed "A.N.Other" gets the jackpot kitty to replace the aged, infirm, and untalented lot at O.T.

I love a conspiracy, me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Okay. Alex Ferguson was rapidly going over the hill, and had failed to redevelop an increasingly geriatric team. Poor old codger couldn't do another year so some fool had to be enticed into doing the job pending the end of the World Cup when "another" candidate would become available. Now, under the guise of being matey (or whatever the Jock term is) Ferguson gives the (interim) job to Moyes knowing that at worst he'll get a bumper pay off. Quick word to the players at his leaving "do" along the lines of "don't put your decrepit selves out" and to v.Persil clean the toys out of your pram, and off upstairs to await the fruits of these last labours.

And, presto, another Sir A masterpiece, and the soon to be appointed and annointed "A.N.Other" gets the jackpot kitty to replace the aged, infirm, and untalented lot at O.T.

I love a conspiracy, me.

That's not a conspiracy theory... that's a fantasy trilogy set in an alternative universe! lol!

I think the more likely story is: Glazer is a kn*b who really knows nothing about sports management outside of the US system. He took the advice of SAF on who to appoint and genuinely believed he was getting the best man for the job.

Underinvestment in the team and an over-reliance on SAF keeping order means that what is left are old & lazy (and can now get away with it). Moyes was always on a hiding to nowhere.

When SAF started he inherited a cr*p (relatively) team, doing nothing and it took him a long time to get the house in order, but Glazer has saddled the club with massive debts and demanding shareholders and the club can no longer afford the drop in income from no European football or the loss in investor confidence from no domestic success. Moyes had to go and be seen to go as a very public scapegoat.

The only conspiracy would be, did SAF see all this coming and stitch up Moyes to make himself look better. Nothing flatters the previous manager more than going out on top to have the successor f*ck it all up (but if you are already on top then the only way is down!).

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Moyes has got away lightly, the last manager who replaced a legend there, Wilf McGuiness, lost all his hair through the pressure/stress of following in Matt Busby's footsteps.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As I posted on the Giggs thread:

United have done things completely the wrong way around.

The most crucial thing to prove in the aftermath of Fergie leaving was that the club could move on and keep winning trophies without him at the helm. In order to achieve this, the best thing to do would have been to appoint an experienced short-term manager to get over that hurdle (an Ancelotti or a van Gaal), and then appoint a younger boss (Moyes) to build something for the future.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here