Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Q&A with CMS and Calde - North West Sussex Seagulls

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Was fortunate enough last night to go to The Holbrook Club in Horsham to firstly hear an excellent talk on how well the AITC in doing and is being run.

The main attraction of the evening however was the Q&A session with CMS and Calde - both players spoke excellently and as openly as they could - I'll try and remember as much of the evening as I can now:

. Oscar and Gus have very different styles, one you always knew was in the room, and the other is the near total opposite, now however the training ground is a lot more relaxed than it used to be. They didn't say which style of play was better or worse.
. The players can't wait for the new training ground to be completed, both agreed that it could be at least worth 6-8 more points a season, CMS also commented that we have a lot of injuries due to our training facilities at the moment, and that the pitch at the University is very 'boggy', very different to the AMEX, so it takes the body time to adjust, hence we see quite a lot of niggles etc...
. Both players - especially Craig - wanted to see us play two up front, but agreed that the final decision was Oscar's and that he knew best, CMS did say that OG's style suits him more than under Gus as it is more direct, but it would nice to play two up top.
. Calde is in the process of taking his coaching badges, and wants to remain at the club for a long time - although he said he might be tempted away with the a new job vacancy in Manchester - he wants to not just become a coach, but a manager.
. Both were asked about the Kemy Agustien situation and why he wasn't playing, it was agreed that he was a good player and a nice enough guy before they changed topics quite quickly - make of that what you will.
. Barry Fry is a very good father-in-law to law, and is constantly giving CMS advice into the world of football.
. The role of Nathan Jones as Assistant was questioned, both players agreed that he conveys the passion from Oscar onto the pitch in English and In Spanish, this is why he does most of the shouting and post-match press conferences as CMS suggested that Oscar is not yet 100% confident in his English; Calde agreed by suggesting it is better that a 'native' English speaker does the interviews so that something is not lost in translation or misconstrued.
. Favourite goals were vs. Burnley and vs. Bristol City respectively.
. Both were fantastic ambassadors for the club, and seemed like down to earth decent gentleman, miles away from the primadonna's we see in the Champions League and the Top Flight.

I have probably forgotten loads - feel free to ask me on here if I have, it will probably job my memory.

Thanks to everyone involved for making the evening a success.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Another thing - early leavers - the players understand it, but really really don't like it at all. This was especially noted v Middlesborough. Calde said you don't normally leave a film early, you stay until the end.
Both players agreed that the fans can make the difference and by people leaving early it really can hurt them and that even if we are losing you should stay until the end. They recognised that the people who stayed are the fans who have been with us for a long time, Calde even mentioned that these would be the fans from the Gillingham / Withdean days.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sounds like a very interesting evening. it would be nice to think that the the training ground could stem the flow of irritating injuries.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
so even if the players put in little effort, limp to defeat, someone with kids should stay to the very end and get home 2 hours later than if they left early?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Calde is a god.
That is all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
so even if the players put in little effort, limp to defeat, someone with kids should stay to the very end and get home 2 hours later than if they left early?

so you are saying that defeats are all down to lack of effort....theyve been asked a question and answered it honestly I've no problem with that

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Calderon for manager!

Leaving early- I think it is weird that people pay £25 each to watch a match and then leave with 10 minutes to go in order to put the dinner on. That issue has been a factor since the Withdean days though, to be fair. So I'm not sure it is just the 'new' fans. I know plenty of Withdean goers near me that nip off early and really can'y understand it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Was fortunate enough last night to go to The Holbrook Club in Horsham to firstly hear an excellent talk on how well the AITC in doing and is being run.

The main attraction of the evening however was the Q&A session with CMS and Calde - both players spoke excellently and as openly as they could - I'll try and remember as much of the evening as I can now:

. Oscar and Gus have very different styles, one you always knew was in the room, and the other is the near total opposite, now however the training ground is a lot more relaxed than it used to be. They didn't say which style of play was better or worse.
. The players can't wait for the new training ground to be completed, both agreed that it could be at least worth 6-8 more points a season, CMS also commented that we have a lot of injuries due to our training facilities at the moment, and that the pitch at the University is very 'boggy', very different to the AMEX, so it takes the body time to adjust, hence we see quite a lot of niggles etc...
. Both players - especially Craig - wanted to see us play two up front, but agreed that the final decision was Oscar's and that he knew best, CMS did say that OG's style suits him more than under Gus as it is more direct, but it would nice to play two up top.
. Calde is in the process of taking his coaching badges, and wants to remain at the club for a long time - although he said he might be tempted away with the a new job vacancy in Manchester - he wants to not just become a coach, but a manager.
. Both were asked about the Kemy Agustien situation and why he wasn't playing, it was agreed that he was a good player and a nice enough guy before they changed topics quite quickly - make of that what you will.
. Barry Fry is a very good father-in-law to law, and is constantly giving CMS advice into the world of football.
. The role of Nathan Jones as Assistant was questioned, both players agreed that he conveys the passion from Oscar onto the pitch in English and In Spanish, this is why he does most of the shouting and post-match press conferences as CMS suggested that Oscar is not yet 100% confident in his English; Calde agreed by suggesting it is better that a 'native' English speaker does the interviews so that something is not lost in translation or misconstrued.
. Favourite goals were vs. Burnley and vs. Bristol City respectively.
. Both were fantastic ambassadors for the club, and seemed like down to earth decent gentleman, miles away from the primadonna's we see in the Champions League and the Top Flight.

I have probably forgotten loads - feel free to ask me on here if I have, it will probably job my memory.

Thanks to everyone involved for making the evening a success.

Thank you

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Leaving early- I think it is weird that people pay £25 each to watch a match and then leave with 10 minutes to go in order to put the dinner on. That issue has been a factor since the Withdean days though, to be fair. So I'm not sure it is just the 'new' fans. I know plenty of Withdean goers near me that nip off early and really can'y understand it.

Even if I was tempted to leave early I wouldn't just so I get more for my money!

Another thing - early leavers - the players understand it, but really really don't like it at all. This was especially noted v Middlesborough. Calde said you don't normally leave a film early, you stay until the end.
Both players agreed that the fans can make the difference and by people leaving early it really can hurt them and that even if we are losing you should stay until the end. They recognised that the people who stayed are the fans who have been with us for a long time, Calde even mentioned that these would be the fans from the Gillingham / Withdean days.

rubbish!:moo:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

I was in the players lounge before and after the game on Monday, it was very obvious how different these two were compared to most of the other players. Calde and CMS smiled and chatted to us 'guests', along with Koosh and Stephens..... the others were a bit 'celebrity', but I did get a decent picture with Leo, after asking him in Spanish..... he chuckled at my poor accent I think. Kaz was very miserable.

As an aside, when asked when he will play again, Orlandi shrugged his shoulders and simply said he is fit.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Calderon for manager!

You just have to accept that everyone is different people have other things in their lives they consider as important as a football match. It's not the 80s or 90s anymore, there's alot more leisure activities to choose from these days.

If it's total sh*t I've left 5/10 minutes early to go to the pub many times. Why I hear you ask? Football is about more than just the 90 minutes of football for me, it's the social side as well and always has been. I think anyone who sat on trains all day to watch us lose 3-0 at Hartlepool in Div 4 can probably say the same thing. I sat on a train all day to Barnsley once and then left at half time because the pub was more enjoyable. Ditto a couple of games at Gillingham.

Does that make other people a better fan than me? Certainly
Does that mean I enjoy getting pissed more than watching football? Sometimes
Do I give a sh*t what any of you think of me or my superfan credentials? Obviously not!
Am I content that I choose to do what I feel is right for my life at any given time? Absolutely
Am I selfish for putting my own needs before that of the players? No, because of what they are paid in wages and what I pay in ticket prices.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
You just have to accept that everyone is different people have other things in their lives they consider as important as a football match. It's not the 80s or 90s anymore, there's alot more leisure activities to choose from these days.

If it's total sh*t I've left 5/10 minutes early to go to the pub many times. Why I hear you ask? Football is about more than just the 90 minutes of football for me, it's the social side as well and always has been. I think anyone who sat on trains all day to watch us lose 3-0 at Hartlepool in Div 4 can probably say the same thing. I sat on a train all day to Barnsley once and then left at half time because the pub was more enjoyable. Ditto a couple of games at Gillingham.

Does that make other people a better fan than me? Certainly
Does that mean I enjoy getting pissed more than watching football? Sometimes
Do I give a sh*t what any of you think of me or my superfan credentials? Obviously not!
Am I content that I choose to do what I feel is right for my life at any given time? Absolutely
Am I selfish for putting my own needs before that of the players? No, because of what they are paid in wages and what I pay in ticket prices.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

The voice of reason,........ a day at football is about travelling to, drinking with, reflecting after,...... not just that 90 mins,... if that 90 mins proves to be tedious, move on, lifes too short.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

To be fair, these are 2 players who give everything they have in every game You can't fault these two for answering that question as they did.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was in the players lounge before and after the game on Monday, it was very obvious how different these two were compared to most of the other players. Calde and CMS smiled and chatted to us 'guests', along with Koosh and Stephens..... the others were a bit 'celebrity', but I did get a decent picture with Leo, after asking him in Spanish..... he chuckled at my poor accent I think. Kaz was very miserable.

We've asked everyone who's been on the Roar this season for their top three players of the season. It's just a bit of fun etc. Everyone has their differing reasons for why one player should be chosen over another, and I got this back from someone who works at AITC - who has chosen reasons other than on-pitch performances. (I hope they don't mind me repeating this).

My personal top 3:
1. Inigo Calderon - community champion and all round lovely guy
2. Bruno Saltor - playing ability
3. Matthew Upson - playing ability

I would also highly commend Andrews and Ward as they blew me away with their interaction with our Powerchair Football Team. We are blessed in having some lovely people playing for us.

Just partly indicative of what extra-curricular time some players are prepared to put in, I suppose.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here