Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corners - top secret

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Now here is a secret but someone please tell the players.

With the exception of when Solly hit the near post a few games ago, we over hit EVERY corner beyond the far post.

Apart from one corner against Charlton, no one ever hangs at or beyond the six yard box on far post. On that corner, we scored. So please don't tell anyone unless of course you want us to score a few goals against Yeovil?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

With the exception of when Solly hit the near post a few games ago, we over hit EVERY corner beyond the far post.

Apart from one corner against Charlton, no one ever hangs at or beyond the six yard box on far post. On that corner, we scored. So please don't tell anyone unless of course you want us to score a few goals against Yeovil?

Agree, if we cannot cure it at least premeditate it and line some or one of our players to line up beyond the far post.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least the taker won't have to invent a new signal.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
It's not just corners where we have problems. On a number of occasions in the past few games the players seem to be looking over to the bench at free kicks. Either they don't know what to do or can't decide who is going to take the free kick. It certainly doesn't inspire any confidence in our set pieces.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Secret of a perfect corner...clear the first defender,bend it away from goalkeeper around the penalty spot...and always...ALWAYS have a man on the far side to knock the ball back in if knocked out to that side.
Learn and learn again to keep the ball down if shooting,no shovel boots..and get it on target,jeez..it's a big enough target!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It seems like the players have just gotten used to lopez's near post corners and are heading to the near post where he used to put them. So, give them a few months and they might start to realise that when every corner goes to the far post they should maybe head there, instead of away from it.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Our set pieces incl corners against Blackpool were pathetic.
To see so called professionals unable to deliver even a half decent set piece makes you wonder what the hell is going on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The best corner taker I've ever seen was Andy Hinchcliffe of Everton, Citeh and Sheff Wed fame. He would whip these in flat and at pace, aimed edge of the 6-yard box at 'flick-on' height. I fail to understand why more teams don't employ this tactic, it used to be a nightmare for the keeper to handle.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Wasn't there one great corner from Stephens that Ulloa just headed over. Apart from that, every delivery was poor regardless of who takes them. Problem could be easily resolved by someone being a lot deeper at the far post!!

As for the best corner taker, Laurie Cunningham took them with the outside of the foot, hard and low. For the Albion, no one comes close to Dean Wilkins.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It seems like the players have just gotten used to lopez's near post corners and are heading to the near post where he used to put them. So, give them a few months and they might start to realise that when every corner goes to the far post they should maybe head there, instead of away from it.

We're odd like that. For most of last year we couldn't clear the first man, now we clear all of them!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hate it when we have a player go across to the corner taker as if to collect take a short one, then wander back to the box with their back to play as it's taken. Lingard did it twice on Monday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

We've actually SCORED from TWO near post corners in recent games, as it goes...

Greer at Blackburn and Ward v QPR

Last edited:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I'd still say they are an improvement on that period at Withdean when every single corner was unable to beat the first man

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Same with Lua Lua's crosses. They are either driven hard and low to the corner of the goal area or overhit high towards the far post. Can't believe our strikers haven't cottoned on to this.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Secret of a perfect corner...clear the first defender,bend it away from goalkeeper around the penalty spot...and always...ALWAYS have a man on the far side to knock the ball back in if knocked out to that side.
Learn and learn again to keep the ball down if shooting,no shovel boots..and get it on target,jeez..it's a big enough target!

I think you will find that statistical analysis shows that inswinging corners are far more effective than outswingers. I wonder if our manager knows tha

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think you will find that statistical analysis shows that inswinging corners are far more effective than outswingers. I wonder if our manager knows tha

Our corners are neither though. They are more "over everybody's head swingers". Surely it can't be that hard to take a decent corner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here