Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So EVERYONE'S fit. What's our best team?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Reading a few of the threads yesterday and today I wonder what people think our best team would be IF everyone was fit. We still have Orlandi, Crofts and Hoskins injured (though the latter is reportedly available now), Buckley out every few games and Lus Lua unable to last more than 60 mins. If EVERYONE was at peak fitness what would be our best side? I'm going for:

4-2-3-1

PIG

Calderon Upson Greer Ward

Ince Crofts

Buckley Orlandi Lingard

Ulloa

SUBS
Sexy Pete
Bruno
Dunk
Lua Lua
March
Andrews
CMS

No place for:

Casper
Hoskins
Chicksen
Agustien
JFC
D-Rod
Spanish Dave

What struck me is

1) that was quite hard to select
2) what a squad - though light on strikers
3) never going to happen

What's yours?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It depends who we're playing but probably something like this:

Kuszczak

Bruno~Greer~Upson~Ward

Crofts~Stephens

Buckley~Lingard~Orlandi

Ulloa

Subs: Ankergren, Calderon, Mackail-Smith, Lualua, Hoskins, Ince.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
1. Start quicker than a Herd of tortoise on temazepam
2. Start passing forward rather than side to side, no mr Greer that is not an excuse for you to keep lumping up to their keeper
3. Give Leo some support instead of him being isolated with nobody within 30 yards
4. Stop trying to win free kicks when you have beaten your man and could attack instead
5. Try hitting our players from corners or free kicks rather than the advertising hoardings
6. Inject some pace and width
7. Someone in midfield please venture into the opponents box more than once per game
8. Stop blaming the ref for our poor performances
9. Drop Keith Andrews
10. Get your hands out of you pocket oscar and give the team an occasional rocket and show some passion
11. Stop saying we did enough to win zzzzzz

That's my 11 for starters subs to follow.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Kush
Bruno, Upson, Greer (Dunk not far behind), Ward
Lua Lua, Ince, Crofts, Buckley (with March not far behind)
CMS, Ulloa.

I've assumed Buckley pre-hamstring worries, CMS pre leg break. I've always felt CMS can't play alone because he needs some one to feed off his ball holding/unsettling and Ulloa needs some one to feed off his touch downs to then set him up. Ulloa is a target man, CMS is Ulloas target man and then Ulloa becomes a poacher/advance forward.

My bench would be:

Brez
Dunk
Calde
March
Orlandi
Stephens
Hoskins

Squad places for Lopez who we know can play well but he needs to find form, Casper who is a fantastic influence. Anyone at the U21's vs Charlton saw how although he might not be able to play at this level consistently week in and out he is good to have around the club and I think his experience serves Walton and the defence well. Get

JFC out on loan to a top league 1 or lower championship side (preferably top top league 1 - Wolves style maybe?) and Chicksen to a league 1 side who want to play football with wing backs.

Keep D-Rod for depth and I don't think we've seen what he can really do yet because we've not got the right players fit to play him along side Ulloa/CMS. Hoskins makes the bench because we know he has the technical ability but seems to be made of glass. One more year if he stays fit to prove he is of the ability. I've always been impressed with him when he has played.

Augustin either we keep him, sort out his attitude and he becomes a class game changing player or we get rid of one of the most polluting players in our squad. He's got the ability but we need to sort out what ever the "situation" is with him. Add: 1 more CB. Greer and Upson haven't got long left and we need some one to guide Dunk when they go, and then 1 more CB to rotate in. 1 more Striker incase D-Rod/Hoskins aren't the real deal and we see we need to cut them loose and let them pursue other options. The striker doesn't need to be the best striker we can get he needs to the RIGHT striker for the squad. A real poacher or complete forward. Lingaard we can take or leave IMO. No denying his quality but I don't know if he will fit in to my system. If he were to fit in the mid field would be Ince/Crofts at DM/CM then two wingers (Lua Lua and a fit Buckley) and the Lingaard/Orlandi playing as AM creating chances for the strike force in a diamond formation. We'd be relying on Bruno not going walk about all the time and the wingers doing a proper job but if they are fit then the have got the talent.

I'd take a loanee LB to bench warm/squad depth while Chiksen develops and grows just a bit more muscle, even at the expense of half a yard of pace.

Andrews would go but not because I don't rate him but I think he is an Ankergrenesque player almost - a guide and mentor who has the experience but the body doesn't quite follow what he has in mind all the time. I'd spend the money in other areas.

Get Calde and Ankergren on coaching badges. Maybe a new winger at the expense of Buckley who is a corner/free kick taker and work on Lua Lua's free kicks and his and Marches corners. Isn't it easier to hit a dead ball than a moving one? Why do none of their good crosses come from corners then? Statistically (apparently) corners leading to goals directl is less than a 1% of goals scored but whenever we got a free kick out wide or a corner with Bennett we would expect a chance to be made because he could do it moving or still from out wide.

I'd look at how we can move Starkey, Walton, Rea and Deen up to the first team in two or three years time too. I'm sure there is a couple of other U21's who I saw that I liked the look of but they stood out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here