Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The price of cricket.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
£10 for potentially six hours first class cricket or £40 for 90 minutes second division football?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cricket is usually brilliant value compared with football, especially if you are taking juniors. My lads Sussex season ticket was £35 and includes all the T20 games, and as another example I got us tickets for day 2 England V India at the Rose Bowl for £65 (the pair - £55 mine and £10 his). ECB are doing a lot to encourage kids to go and watch.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's all subjective. I love Cricket as much as football, so for me Sussex is great value. It's just unfortunate that I cannot get along. I'm sure my retirement years will be bliss, though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The 2006 cup final victory against Lancashire was the equal of the Cardiff play off final in the "good day out" stakes.

That was mental. The hangover and watching us lose to Crewe (?) the following day was not mental.

Sussex by the Sea ringing out over NW1 (probably wrong) over 'Oh Lanky, Lanky, Lanky...' deserved the cup alone.

Good to see Yasir back.

UMSHY :bowdown:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That was mental. The hangover and watching us lose to Crewe (?) the following day was not mental.

Sussex by the Sea ringing out over NW1 (probably wrong) over 'Oh Lanky, Lanky, Lanky...' deserved the cup alone.

Good to see Yasir back.

UMSHY :bowdown:

That was a day to remember (although the last hour or so is a little hazy). That is one of my best days of sport ever, especially as we were dead and buried at half way.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That was a day to remember (although the last hour or so is a little hazy). That is one of my best days of sport ever, especially as we were dead and buried at half way.

I took a self-imposed exile walk at 93-5 (seems to stick in my memory) and did a bar crawl around the ground. The Sussex cheers fell on deaf ears (as they were deaf at the time - pre-cochlear implant).

A magic day. It was so good to see such a strong Sussex presence in the capital.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The range of clothing on the Sussex website seems very limited. Does anyone know if a visit to the shop would yield a bigger range ?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I agree, the disparity is crazy. I'm actually a county ground virgin - but I am going to my first game on the 18th - the T20 against Sri Lanka. £45 for 3 of us to go and watch the reigning T20 champions in our own backyard. I doubt very much it's the equivalent of watching Spain v Brighton at the Amex in a friendly, but seriously, 15 quid a pop to watch some of the best quick batsmen in the world (and Sri Lanka) is ridiculous value, and I'm looking forward to a day of Harvey's in the sunshine with some good mates :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Cricket is usually brilliant value compared with football, especially if you are taking juniors. My lads Sussex season ticket was £35 and includes all the T20 games, and as another example I got us tickets for day 2 England V India at the Rose Bowl for £65 (the pair - £55 mine and £10 his). ECB are doing a lot to encourage kids to go and watch.

Added to that you can have of course bring a picnic and a decent amount of booze in with you

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you'll find it is all about supply and demand. Cricket's costs are considerably less than those of football and demand probably considerably lower. Plus the fact that a lot of the games are played when most are at work or school. Of course, if you like cricket and have time to go then that still adds up to value for money.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The 2006 cup final victory against Lancashire was the equal of the Cardiff play off final in the "good day out" stakes.

For me it was even better. One of my happiest sporting days ever. I can remember forlornly heading to the bar at the interval surrounded by happy lancastrians convinced they had done enough to win, only for Kirtley to come out and turn the whole game on it's head. What a fantastic day that was.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
For me it was even better. One of my happiest sporting days ever. I can remember forlornly heading to the bar at the interval surrounded by happy lancastrians convinced they had done enough to win, only for Kirtley to come out and turn the whole game on it's head. What a fantastic day that was.

It was the best sporting event i've been at if you balance importance with tension. And more proof that low scoring cricket matches are often the best

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The range of clothing on the Sussex website seems very limited. Does anyone know if a visit to the shop would yield a bigger range ?

Unfortunately it is normally the same, to me they have scaled back on this the past couple of years.

Also £180 for the standard membership (if paid by DD) really is a great deal if you live anywhere near Hove o(or possibly Horsham/Arundel) good facilities, and plenty of opportunities to pop in or spend all day/night, covering all championship, one day games and the Sri Lanka game. It also allows you to buy cheap 20/20 tickets if thats your thing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Its cheaper for one reason,.... and one reason only....................... a county cricketer, will only earn between £30k and £200k per season/year depending on caps and type of contract etc,.... (ECB centrally contracted players get more of course)........ compared to Prem players on anything between £50k and £300k PER WEEK as we know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here