Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some Perspective

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Am I right in saying that this season is likely to be the 6th most successful season in the clubs 113 years history?

3 seasons in the old top flight
Mullery promotion from old 2nd div
Last season under Gus
And now this season

In reality most of those years we were struggling in the 3rd and 4th tiers

So let's appreciate how far we have come

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You stupid boy, these are facts which people will want to ignore.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bit frustrating though isn't it, having the chance to be in charge of that 6th position and then blowing it.

You can understand why folk are perplexed. We all want the lads to do well.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
7th. Four seasons in the top division.

Possibly 8th, as I'm sure we finished higher than 6th in 1977-78, too.

Feb 14, 2010
Am I right in saying that this season is likely to be the 6th most successful season in the clubs 113 years history?

3 seasons in the old top flight
Mullery promotion from old 2nd div
Last season under Gus
And now this season

In reality most of those years we were struggling in the 3rd and 4th tiers

So let's appreciate how far we have come

Or can we look at it that again we have the best support in the division we play in and the 10th best support in the country but a bunch of unworthy clowns on the pitch. As the BBC said when Newcastle fans gave their players stick "they have to take that, they have to show themselves worthy to play in front of a large support". 28,000 at home to Yeovil, just a shame the players are not worthy of that support.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Yeah that old chestnut again
"Don't moan ever about the ALBION coz look where we've come from"

Supporting the ALBION you know we're shite we've always been shite ( 95 % of our history) but at least I used to go to games and be excited watching shite football now were sort of an average championship side but my god it's so painful to watch, it's the last game of the season at home to Yeovil On Friday and we're still in the mix for play offs...... Am I excited ....... No

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Bit frustrating though isn't it, having the chance to be in charge of that 6th position and then blowing it.

You can understand why folk are perplexed. We all want the lads to do well.

But surely the fact that we're not the only team fighting for 6th that keep failing to capitalise when other results go our way shows how competitive this league is. This assumption that we have a right to beat teams is bordering on arrogance.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Yeah that old chestnut again
"Don't moan ever about the ALBION coz look where we've come from"

Supporting the ALBION you know we're shite we've always been shite ( 95 % of our history) but at least I used to go to games and be excited watching shite football now were sort of an average championship side but my god it's so painful to watch, it's the last game of the season at home to Yeovil On Friday and we're still in the mix for play offs...... Am I excited ....... No

Were you in Dicks Monday ?
I saw this BIG FELLA in a green Parka.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What about 1991?

Was about to put that. The thing is we were truly dreadful that season. Making Wembley was some sort of miracle. I can't be arsed to research but we must be one of the only teams to have got in the playoffs with a negative goal difference. I did remember the Pompey game away in the run in as being one of the single most miserable experiences of my football fan life. I did check the run in and, from the start of April until THAT Wendy free kick we went LLWDLLLWL. 6 losses, 2 wins 1 draw including not only that Pompey game but getting shafted 3-0 at home by Oxford.

If you google the youtube vid of the Ipswich home game you'll see some very powerful North Stand surges but also us giving the ball away after two passes or less and Ipswich doing the same. It simply wasn't as technical as today's Barnsley or Charlton never mind us.

Statistically it was a great season. Memories wise too because the Ipswich game and two Millwall games were outstanding and Wembley was a great day out with the wrong result. But in terms of results, standards of football and general losing of our ring it made this season look like a romp to the Champions League trophy.

Feb 14, 2010
But surely the fact that we're not the only team fighting for 6th that keep failing to capitalise when other results go our way shows how competitive this league is. This assumption that we have a right to beat teams is bordering on arrogance.

We are the only team that gets 28000 crowds week in week out tho and as the BBC said about Newcastle when their fans had a pop "the players have to take that, they have to earn the right to play in front of big crowds". Our players did not this season earn the right, they bottled it and that is why they will take justified stick. Promoted is promoted, failure to get promoted is failure.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We are the only team that gets 28000 crowds week in week out tho and as the BBC said about Newcastle when their fans had a pop "the players have to take that, they have to earn the right to play in front of big crowds". Our players did not this season earn the right, they bottled it and that is why they will take justified stick. Promoted is promoted, failure to get promoted is failure.

So it's because we get 28000+ through the gate on a regular basis that we have a divine right to win every game? Yeah, unfortunately that's not how football works. The league is consistently inconsistent and that fact will not change based on crowd numbers.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Nobody cares about crowds. Playing budgets are what is relevant. We're definitely not top of that!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The rational perspective should also take into account the budgets of many other teams in and around the play offs, some have parachute money and/or have spent a heck of a lot more than us on transfers and wages - which also underlines just how good our position is. It won't get any easier as FFP tightens its grip.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I'm struggling to understand the connection between us being promoted and us having high crowds - there's no correlation there at all. I'd also say you're seeing things too black & white - not being promoted is NOT failure. If we use that notion, is ending up in the playoffs but missing out a failure as well? After all, that was the initial target as set out by Tony Bloom.

Feb 14, 2010
So it's because we get 28000+ through the gate on a regular basis that we have a divine right to win every game? Yeah, unfortunately that's not how football works. The league is consistently inconsistent and that fact will not change based on crowd numbers.

No do not say what I have not said. I have said .. as the BBC said when the Newcastle fans had a pop, the players have to take that because they have to earn the right to play in front of big crowds. The Brighton players have not done that. They therefore deserve and will get stick. Promoted is promoted, not promoted is failure. When the players understand that,m then they will understand what is expected. No hiding place, no bottling it, they have to stand up and be good enough or go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here