Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The End of Season progress report.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
A little bit early but, of the players who were here 12 months ago, how many do you feel are better players now than they were then and who has disappointing the most?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Progress?

We have more or less the same squad yet our performances are far inferior to last season. Don't believe me? Watch the highlights of last year's home game against Blackpool. We oozed Premier League class. This season, we are little more than average Championship fodder.

Oscar Garcia and Nathan Jones must take the responsibility for that.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Progress?

We have more or less the same squad yet our performances are far inferior to last season. Don't believe me? Watch the highlights of last year's home game against Blackpool. We oozed Premier League class. This season, we are little more than average Championship fodder.

Can't argue with that. I know injuries etc have hampered us a little but I don't think I've come away from many games saying we played well.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Progress?

Using that game as a benchmark; only 5 of the starting 11 in that game (PIG, Greer, Calderon, Upson, Lopez) have been available for much of this season. You take half a starting 11 out of most games and they'll probably fail to destroy a team too.

And before you say, yes i know the point you were getting at, but it's worth mentioning that it isn't always black & white.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We have more or less the same squad yet our performances are far inferior to last season.

Orlandi barely had a kick all season, Crofts was on fire until he got injured, Ashley Barnes gone, Bridcutt gone... That's four potential starters ruled out. Ward has been a good consistent player but isn't as influential as Wayne Bridge was. Buckley has been available for fewer games...

It's bound to have an impact. I'm not saying it's all down to this but you can't just dismiss these losses and say it's all Garcia and Jones' fault.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Progress?

If you genuinely believe we've had as strong squad this season, it's not worth arguing with you.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oh, and in answer to the OP - the progress of Rohan Ince and Solly March has been a bright spot this season

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All of us who wanted Spanish Dave back should be holding their hands up in the air and saying sorry.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you genuinely believe we've had as strong squad this season, it's not worth arguing with you.

A comparably strong squad this season if the injuries aren't taken into account. We've come unstuck by OG and NJ playing by the percentages when in fact sometimes you need to be ruthless and make your own luck.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Its a difficult season to judge how we have done because we have been missing several key figures for sustained periods

Can someone post appearance stats for CMS, Orlandi, Buckley, Lua Lua (Lua Lua not fully fit most of this season??) and others who we relied upon last season to be the creatve spark in the side and make the difference between entertainment and dull

And for those with short memories, how many games we drew last season.

For us to miss those players and still be in with a good shout of reaching the play-offs has shown what a good job Garcia has done with such a handicap. Hopefully next season they will be back and fit for most if not all of the season and could mean we are more effective and more entertaining

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A comparably strong squad this season if the injuries aren't taken into account. We've come unstuck by OG and NJ playing by the percentages when in fact sometimes you need to be ruthless and make your own luck.

I don't agree anyway but the injuries have been much worst than last year so the squad at Garcia's disposal has been quite a lot weaker.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

How can you not take injuries into account though? Bridcutt player of the season last year. Nothing this, sales and injuries have all played a part surely?

I think you could argue that Bloom is as responsible for selling both Bridcutt and Barnes and not replacing either...

Agree that they are not positive enough though...

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Positives:

Crofts - looks the player he was in his first stint here, season harshly ended by injury
Mackail-Smith - back to fitness and eager to impress
Calderon - one of our only players who looks committed, seems to have a positive influence on those around him
Ward - doubts about him pre-season but seems to have proved everybody wrong, hope he signs a permanent deal in the summer
Forster-Caskey - developing this season, not hit the heights as expected being touted as England U21 material but still much more to come
Ulloa - one of our consistent performers, although did have a mid-season strop
Upson - defence looks so much better when he plays, hope he signs a new deal in the summer
March - really come on this season, looks like a star for the future. Needs to work on his vision whilst in play
Ince - started the season as Bridcutt's replacement, recently not looked so good but lots more to come from Rohan

Indifferent
Bruno - one week he looks brilliant, the next he's pony
Dunk - not made to many appearances, but in the game time he has featured he hasn't set the world alight apart from the odd game
Stephens - only seen him have one outstanding performance, seems to go missing alot
LuaLua - one week brilliant, next week disinterested
Kuszczak - pulls off the occasional brilliant save but his recent reactions have marked him down

Disapointing

Greer - slowly seems to be getting worse, maybe time for a new centre-back next season
Andrews - for a ex-Premier League box-to-box midfielder, he gives the ball away far too much
Rodriguez - obviously not worked out as hoped
Agustien - what a waste, off in the summer
Orlandi - may seem harsh but has spent 95% of his time injured this season, can't see him getting a new deal
Lopez - looks a shadow of the player he was last season, can't see him staying beyond June
Lingard - for a Man United youngster, very disappointing
Buckley - yet again may seem harsh given he has been injured a lot but Will looks a beaten man now and seems to have lost his pace. Many were happy to see him leave in January in a move which didn't materialise

No reports

Brezovan, Hoskins, Chicksen and Ankergren don't get a rating as haven't featured enough

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Indifferent

Dunk - not made to many appearances, but in the game time he has featured he hasn't set the world alight apart from the odd game

Simply can't agree with that; I think one of the most promising things this season has been the (albeit limited) evidence that Dunk is ready to put a nightmare 18 months behind him and emerge as one of our centre-backs of the future.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
For us to miss those players and still be in with a good shout of reaching the play-offs has shown what a good job Garcia has done with such a handicap. Hopefully next season they will be back and fit for most if not all of the season and could mean we are more effective and more entertaining

Sums up the season perfectly and applies common sense & reasoned perspective. Take a bow son :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Watch the highlights of last year's home game against Blackpool. We oozed Premier League class.
Because that game was typical of last season was it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here