Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal point. Moyes sacked or made redundant.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Why not just make him redundant (offer him a tax free settlement as opposed to sacking) and employ the next 'boss' under a different job title ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Knowing the Glazers are only at United for the money which they can siphon off they'll have sacked him because the £5M compo is a tax write-off :lol: It must be very annoying for them with no European revenue stream going in to the Old Trafford coffers next season. :smile:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
In English law, redundancy applies to a position, not a person. And the position of manager is not redundant, it is clear that the team needs one, whatever fancy label you applied to it. Hence it would be illegal for ManUre to commence redundancy proceedings.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I think the technical term is unchosen :wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The tax-free element of redundancy is limited to the first £30k. If your pay-off is £4.5m, I doubt that saving £15k in tax is that high on your priority list.

The previous points about redundancy applying to the job, not the person are also correct.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
If they made him redundant they would have to offer him the opportunity of applying for the new {insert fancy job title here} role as it would be similar to his current role. Makes no sense. Sacking is quick and easy as all ties are cut immediately.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Knowing the Glazers are only at United for the money which they can siphon off they'll have sacked him because the £5M compo is a tax write-off :lol: It must be very annoying for them with no European revenue stream going in to the Old Trafford coffers next season. :smile:

I read recently they plan to accept a number of very lucrative friendly invitations in lieu of CL income. Financially I don't think being out of Europe will affect them too much.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He had a 6 year deal and he was on some 4m a year wasn't he? So he's due a shade over 20m by my reckoning.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
In English law, redundancy applies to a position, not a person. And the position of manager is not redundant, it is clear that the team needs one, whatever fancy label you applied to it. Hence it would be illegal for ManUre to commence redundancy proceedings.

Is that not why OG was hired as head coach (not manager) after Gus left and the legal case was being sorted.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
He had a 6 year deal and he was on some 4m a year wasn't he? So he's due a shade over 20m by my reckoning.

£20M, not bad for 9 months work.

Incidentally if he gets a job say in August this year at another club would he be required to repay any amount?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is that not why OG was hired as head coach (not manager) after Gus left and the legal case was being sorted.

I think it was coincidence - we had a Director of Football ( or whatever Burke is called ) and that lends itself to Head Coach more than having a manager.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
£20M, not bad for 9 months work.

Incidentally if he gets a job say in August this year at another club would he be required to repay any amount?

Not sure but the 20m is likely to be a minimum, I imagine there may be some sort of golden handshake bonus for keeping his mouth shut about what's gone on while he's been there.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I don't know if there is, but i expect there may be a clause whereby he is only entitled to x years instead of the full term. I think Pardew has the same at Newcastle; he signed an 8 (?) year contract but in the event of him being sacked, he'd only receive the equivalent to 1 year.

I might be wrong, so someone feel free to clarify.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
A lot of the pundits are saying that his contract was performance related both in terms of getting more money each year if he was successful and getting a lower pay-off the more unsuccessful he was. So, fail to win anything and fail to qualify for the Champions League and the compensation is going to be nowhere near the figures being banded about. If that is true then the fact that losing to Everton, which meant that they couldn't get a Champions League place (and so meaning Moyes would get less compensation) and the timing of his departure probably weren't co-incidental!!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here