Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hope BHAFC have more bottle than Man Ure, if Oscar doesnt get the team to playoffs..

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Why wait until last few games of the season, before sacking a manager?

Were Mufc hoping for a place in Europe, to offset costs of continuing Moyes' contract?

He'll be due a fair old whack now, and they will still have to pay ANOTHER manager..

SurAllex must be laughing his tartan socks off.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He'll be due a fair old whack now, and they will still have to pay ANOTHER manager..

£38mil, although apparently there is a clause in the contract that the payoff only has to be one year if the club misses out on Champions League football

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
£38mil, although apparently there is a clause in the contract that the payoff only has to be one year if the club misses out on Champions League football
Well if I was Moyes, or his legal team, I'd be pointing out that they haven't missed out on CL footy. There's still 4 games to go.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Do clubs payoff full remainder of manager contracts, or maybe just a years worth, pro rata?

Totally bonkers money in this game.

He is due one years contract, circa £5m. Not bad, I guess, as a redundancy payment. A bit more than I got last month

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Well if I was Moyes, or his legal team, I'd be pointing out that they haven't missed out on CL footy. There's still 4 games to go.

They can't qualify for the CL - they are 13 points behind fourth place with four games left

Man U fans have always had this faint sense of superiority that they dont sack their managers. Well, welcome back down to the level of everyone else lads

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
1 Their season is effectively over. They are not looking for a new manager to affect the outcome.
2 Top managers will not talk to them, whilst they have a manager in post.
3 Input into their summer transfer policy is key.

Makes sense to me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I definitely think BHAFC have more bottle than that.

Oscar was an appointment with both eyes firmly on the long term future of the club.
We will finish higher this season than "darling" Gus did in his first season in the Championship, with an inherited team and a never ending injury list.
And, despite the general tone of this board, we are STILL in with a shout of the play-offs.

Big changes coming in the summer I reckon, no matter what happens in the next couple of weeks, and it will not be the Head Coach that goes.

Man Utd have "bottled it" as their business model relies upon Champions League football - not a model that I would want for this club.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
1 Their season is effectively over. They are not looking for a new manager to affect the outcome.
2 Top managers will not talk to them, whilst they have a manager in post.
3 Input into their summer transfer policy is key.

Makes sense to me.

Plus they get 'first pick' of potential candidates, given that the likes of Spurs etc.. could be looking for a new man in the summer, they could jump the queue for the likes of Van Gaal, Klopp etc... Rather than risk them being signed up elsewhere.

I definitely think BHAFC have more bottle than that.

Oscar was an appointment with both eyes firmly on the long term future of the club.
We will finish higher this season than "darling" Gus did in his first season in the Championship

Yeh the problem with that argument is that Gus in his first season still had a glorified League One squad, whereas Oscar should have benefited more from two seasons of Championship-level spending, and actually given according to our board the budget went up this season, make that three. There is a big argument to be had about whether Oscar has made the best of all that accumulated spending.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yeh the problem with that argument is that Gus in his first season still had a glorified League One squad, whereas Oscar should have benefited more from two seasons of Championship-level spending, and actually given according to our board the budget went up this season, make that three. There is a big argument to be had about whether Oscar has made the best of all that accumulated spending.

True, but then as far as I can see, we have not spent all of this years budget. I do not believe the 1m+ we had available to spend on Grabban and the money received from Barnes and Bridcutt has been reallocated - we are keeping it for the summer (less the loan fee for Lingard). Plus, his inherited squad may still contain "Gus' players", whose motivation to play for someone else may not be what it should be (pure supposition on my part, I would add). And the injuries have been shocking really - Orlandi, Buckley, Crofts and CMS particularly - all key players.

I believe Oscar is there to bring on the youth players in particular, something that I do not think Gus was keen on doing. Does that make him a good Head Coach? Not necessarily, but he has had a full season now in an unfamiliar league (a big learning curve for him) and if he can get the players in that he wants, next season could be very interesting.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
BHA are not owned by Americans who care only about (a) the product and (b) maximising their money on it 24/7. Moyes was doomed the moment that photo of the Grim Reaper behind him appeared on worldwide news coverage - You can guarantee the owners realised the damage that photo created to their brand instantly and if they were in 2 minds, that finalised the decision. TB and his advisors will no doubt calmly and unemotionally assess if Oscar is the man who has the X factor and 'nous' to make the team genuine promotional candidates next season if properly supported. If they think he is, I am sure he'll get the team he wants, if they think they need a different, perhaps more pragmatic manager to do it, he will be gone.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I could not agree more with the O/P .

Granted that our expectations are not so high. ... Was it realistic to demand a top 4 place in the first season, with a new manager and coaches, & an ageing team that was due for rebuilding?
Fergie knew when to quit didn't he?

True, but then as far as I can see, we have not spent all of this years budget. I do not believe the 1m+ we had available to spend on Grabban and the money received from Barnes and Bridcutt has been reallocated - we are keeping it for the summer (less the loan fee for Lingard). Plus, his inherited squad may still contain "Gus' players", whose motivation to play for someone else may not be what it should be (pure supposition on my part, I would add). And the injuries have been shocking really - Orlandi, Buckley, Crofts and CMS particularly - all key players.

I believe Oscar is there to bring on the youth players in particular, something that I do not think Gus was keen on doing. Does that make him a good Head Coach? Not necessarily, but he has had a full season now in an unfamiliar league (a big learning curve for him) and if he can get the players in that he wants, next season could be very interesting.

Fair enough, it's a very finely balanced argument - but have to say I'm not so interested in the Gus/Oscar comparisons, too often on here they serve as a distraction exercise, wasting too much time discussing how good or bad Gus (boo, hiss) was rather than the more pressing and pertinent issue facing us of just how good Oscar is and can he deliver on our rich potential.

I know the injuries thing is wheeled out as the big mitigation but for me the squad did its job when we had that injury rash in the autumn, El Abd did so well he preferred to leave rather than be part of our enlarged squad, and Barnes also deputised capably for Ulloa. It's a fact of life that most squads in the Championship have many players out with long term injuries and that's going to be the case for us next season alas, and every season onwards. I'd say we are bloody lucky to just be missing Orlandi at the moment during this crucial crunch period right now (I don't view Hoskins as a miss because he's never played any meaningful part in our seasons while he's been here).

So how good is Oscar. I'd say we're about to find out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here