Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Swan

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes it's my day for new threads. Drank in The Swan for the first time since early Autumn yesterday (I like drinking outside when it's not minus two / slashing it down). It seems to have completely downsized its match day operation. One cash bar outside instead of two, no BBQ, no programmes on sale, no ticket check and less tables and punters. Have the club leant on them or were they actually losing money with the bigger operation?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Asked about the programmes and Hatrick not being on sale and was told that the club have pulled them. Didn't think it was financially viable (or the club don't want to give them a cut)
Yes it did seem slightly scaled down although no more so than the last fee months. Never felt over busy or packed in there yesterday compared to last season of beginning of this one so maybe they've got it right.
(Hasn't been a BBQ for quite a while food is served through the kitchen now)

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Been going there for the last few home games, yes the BBQ is gone but the food served through the kitchen is just as good if not better. The wait for the food isnt long and the portions of chips are huge.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I went there recently and it doesn't seem downsized, it was packed as normal. Just the food coming from the inside instead.

I hadn't been for a long time. The last time I did it was rammed, two bars outside, BBQ, programmes. Wasn't like that yesterday although I caught up with three old friends and had a lovely pint of Palmers so I'm certainly not complaining - was just surprised how different it was.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I hadn't been for a long time. The last time I did it was rammed, two bars outside, BBQ, programmes. Wasn't like that yesterday although I caught up with three old friends and had a lovely pint of Palmers so I'm certainly not complaining - was just surprised how different it was.

I didn't think you were complaining. Maybe you're comparing it to August, when I bet there'll be two bars then again as it's a lot hotter in August than April! The BBQ removal for kitchen good just makes financial sense and I was shocked to see programmes anyway.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Too much like a kindergarten, kids running everywhere with dads happy to let them get on with it to the detriment of others. The owners need to address this, along with providing better toilets.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has it still got the oil painting of the ex-landlord? And that weird church relics thing behind velvet curtains that you have to pay a penny to unveil? And does it still have the fittings and furnishes of a public bar in the Falklands? Well? ???

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Thankfully not another pony gastro, old fashioned good selection of beer decent bar food loads of gar snacks and hacker makes it a winner

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Has it still got the oil painting of the ex-landlord? And that weird church relics thing behind velvet curtains that you have to pay a penny to unveil? And does it still have the fittings and furnishes of a public bar in the Falklands? Well? ???

Not sure about the painting of the old landlord. He was a proper c*** though. Now it's a decent boozer, exactly what I'd want out of a local. Good ale, good lager, three bars, telly with sport, "interesting" pissers. Give me that over Noble House or Yates's or William IV or....hang on, wrong thread.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The Swan decided to do the food themselves as the BBQ operation costs them a fortune. The pub burgers and chips (I like the cheesy chips :)) are just as good (and as quick) as the outside caterers. The beer is still superb and the staff really quick and friendly. I love it and its now my regular pre-game pub although was only there for a few minutes to give a mate his season ticket before I went to Dicks Bar on Monday as had to meet somebody! Ticket checks are still usually in place but they know how many away tickets sold and as under 300 for Blackpool did not bother. Monday was also quiet in Dicks Bar, only 2 people in the queue when we arrived at 1.30pm and in within 1 minutes wait! The Swan was mega packed before the Charlton game, guess a lot depends on the weather as the pub is so small inside, not ideal when the weather forecast not great.

The club stopped sending them over programmes to sell, not commercial enough for them, which is I think a shame. The pub have applied for planning permission to make some changes (including toilets) but as we know not easy getting the thumbs up in the Falmer area!

I use the pub occasionally during the week and the portrait if the landlord is still there, it is however removed on match days! I agree he was a miserable so and so (and I refused to drink there when he was landlord) but he did give the pub away to locals when he died!

Overall I think Martin, Darren and there Mum do a fantastic job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The Swan decided to do the food themselves as the BBQ operation costs them a fortune. The pub burgers and chips (I like the cheesy chips :)) are just as good (and as quick) as the outside caterers. The beer is still superb and the staff really quick and friendly. I love it and its now my regular pre-game pub although was only there for a few minutes to give a mate his season ticket before I went to Dicks Bar on Monday as had to meet somebody! Ticket checks are still usually in place but they know how many away tickets sold and as under 300 for Blackpool did not bother. Monday was also quiet in Dicks Bar, only 2 people in the queue when we arrived at 1.30pm and in within 1 minutes wait! The Swan was mega packed before the Charlton game, guess a lot depends on the weather as the pub is so small inside, not ideal when the weather forecast not great.

The club stopped sending them over programmes to sell, not commercial enough for them, which is I think a shame. The pub have applied for planning permission to make some changes (including toilets) but as we know not easy getting the thumbs up in the Falmer area!

I use the pub occasionally during the week and the portrait if the landlord is still there, it is however removed on match days! I agree he was a miserable so and so (and I refused to drink there when he was landlord) but he did give the pub away to locals when he died!

Overall I think Martin, Darren and there Mum do a fantastic job.

The wise words of a local. Good to know it was a business decision, not so good to know I've missed you twice in a row :facepalm:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Too much like a kindergarten, kids running everywhere with dads happy to let them get on with it to the detriment of others. The owners need to address this, along with providing better toilets.

Quite right! Should also ban women (except behind the bar), food and toilet rolls, as well as having the occasional lock in for our own safety when the likes of Cardiff are in town. Only then will it properly replicate The Exchange of the late 80s!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Quite right! Should also ban women (except behind the bar), food and toilet rolls, as well as having the occasional lock in for our own safety when the likes of Cardiff are in town. Only then will it properly replicate The Exchange of the late 80s!

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you about the role of women in a traditional boozer (either barmaid or eye candy) some may not agree with us, and may want a word with you on Friday evening.

When The Swan has toilets big enough to accommodate loo rolls then Melanie Cutress will have once again lost a long planning battle. As for The Exchange.......I'm not sure Falmer could cope with your table top antics!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on the matter of the Swan... what beers does it sell?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
on the matter of the Swan... what beers does it sell?

From memory, outside is Palmers IPA 4.2% (a nice pint), and Fuller's Seafarers at 3.5%. Inside is Palmers Tally Ho (which is some depth at 5.5% and is lovely). Possibly others inside too, I couldn't see the pumps.

If you don't mean ale, I have no idea.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Carlsberg, Kronenburg

Seafarers, Sussex Gold, Palmers IPA and Tally Ho, they had Devils Dyke Porter on Monday as well.
... and some other continental lagery thing,...... name escapes me..... but I normally have the Seafarers, decent lunchtime tipple.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
... and some other continental lagery thing,...... name escapes me..... but I normally have the Seafarers, decent lunchtime tipple.

I normally go with Seafarers, but Monday I had a pint of the Devils Dyke and it felt like I'd downed 2 pints of Seafarers in one go! :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here