Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be fair to blame Oscar for that lacklustre performance?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have been one of Oscar's staunchest supporters this season. He has had the Poyet fall out to deal with, the short time in charge before the season started, being a rookie in English football and the worst injury woes that I have ever known an Albion squad face.

BUT I have seen more urgency and ambition from an overweight elderly parent in a Father's Day race on a school sports day than I saw from that Albion side today.

It was more like an end of season performance than a game that we should have been champing at the bit to play. I was frustrated from the kick off at our apparently arrogant or maybe stupid lethargy and probable expectation that relegation threatened Blackpool would just roll over eventually. It seems either Oscar or the player, maybe both, have learnt absolutely nothing from very similar performances against lower and struggling teams this season. Barnsley, Millwall and Sheff Weds and today Blackpool.

We had virtually a full squad to choose from and IMO it was unforgiveable that we didn't really appear up for the game from the off AGAIN. A fast aggressive start would have created a decent and intimidating atmosphere but no we let Blackpool play themselves into the game.

Am I wrong?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A lacklustre performance in a game that really matters. Players at fault or the manager?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Credit to Blackpool?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Blame the players. They shouldn't need to have someone get them up for a game at this stage of the season when they're in with a huge chance of making the play offs.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Nope, it's the players. The team is one that most people have been/would have been happy with before the game. I'm quite sure OG didn't say to his players "start lacklustre and we'll give it a go second half".

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Completely agree. My opinion is we have overachieved with a squad lacking in depth or consistent attacking threat, however I felt he got the tactics wrong today. We should have freshened up the starting 11 and gone at them from the off. Instead we let them settle and play their way into the game, we looked completely lethargic until Blackpool equalized.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have been one of Oscar's staunchest supporters this season. He has had the Poyet fall out to deal with, the short time in charge before the season started, being a rookie in English football and the worst injury woes that I have ever known an Albion squad face.

BUT I have seen more urgency and ambition from an overweight elderly parent in a Father's Day race on a school sports day than I saw from that Albion side today.

It was more like an end of season performance than a game that we should have been champing at the bit to play. I was frustrated from the kick off at our apparently arrogant or maybe stupid lethargy and probable expectation that relegation threatened Blackpool would just roll over eventually. It seems either Oscar or the player, maybe both, have learnt absolutely nothing from very similar performances against lower and struggling teams this season. Barnsley, Millwall and Sheff Weds and today Blackpool.

We had virtually a full squad to choose from and IMO it was unforgiveable that we didn't really appear up for the game from the off AGAIN. A fast aggressive start would have created a decent and intimidating atmosphere but no we let Blackpool play themselves into the game.

Am I wrong?

I see you are finally seeing the light. This was three points for the taking. A tricky game but one we should have been able to take. It's very disappointing. We're almost there, but not quite. The saddest thing for me is we have an aging squad, this might be our last roll of the dice for a few seasons.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Completely agree. My opinion is we have overachieved with a squad lacking in depth or consistent attacking threat, however I felt he got the tactics wrong today. We should have freshened up the starting 11 and gone at them from the off. Instead we let them settle and play their way into the game, we looked completely lethargic until Blackpool equalized.

Fourth last year was over-achieving.

Not making the play-offs this year would be under-achieving.

When a team under achieves, the buck stops with the manager.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Considering the situation he came into, the injuries, and some of the crap in the squad, for us to be in with a play off shout right up till the last game of the season makes him akin to Jesus Christ Almighty.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Fourth last year was over-achieving.

Not making the play-offs this year would be under-achieving.

When a team under achieves, the buck stops with the manager.

When a large part of that team that finishes 4th is not available to the manager for a large part of the next season but still he gets them within a shout of the play offs is quite a good achievement I would say

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
When a large part of that team that finishes 4th is not available to the manager for a large part of the next season but still he gets them within a shout of the play offs is quite a good achievement I would say

If that were the case I'd agree.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
For a club that has a great fan base that pays to attend we are not being treated very well, todays game as with many others this season, was poor in basic skills, creativity and any kind of plan. There have been complaints on here about the midfield but look at those who were charged with it today and the answer is clear. I feel let down today by a majority of the players but what do they care earning more in a month than I earn in a year, looking forward to their holidays and next pay cheque. we are incidental to a majority of them and that showed today.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
i feel bearing in mind blackpools position and wat a crap run they have had i feel we should have come out all guns blazing in first 15 mins come at them bigtime get an early goal kill them off and maybe their heads wud have dropped no intense in our play honestly dont think we are anything like good enough to get promoted

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Considering the situation he came into, the injuries, and some of the crap in the squad, for us to be in with a play off shout right up till the last game of the season makes him akin to Jesus Christ Almighty.

Hang on, he has got Keith Andrews though, the English Andrea Pirlo. Pulling the strings while everyone else struggles to live up to his sublimeness :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here