Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next season - Do we really think there is likely to be an improvement when.......?!.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
........10 players are out of contract and it is self-evident that virtually none of those are top-of-the-Championship, let alone, Premier League quality and when, rightly, we need to adhere to FFP?!
Today proved how lacking we are in depth, in quality, in fight and in commitment - with absolutely no bottle it would be an embarrassment if we went up with this squad!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
........10 players are out of contract and it is self-evident that virtually none of those are top-of-the-Championship, let alone, Premier League quality and when, rightly, we need to adhere to FFP?!
Today proved how lacking we are in depth, in quality, in fight and in commitment - with absolutely no bottle it would be an embarrassment if we went up with this squad!!

This worries me, we could go up and set the lowest ever points total, based on current performances. Still I'm confident we'd get at least 6 points..... Palace.....

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm scared stiff at the thought of promotion to the Premier League. From what I'm seeing at this end of the season we probably only have Kuszczack, Upson (maybe) and Ward (maybe ... and he's not even ours) who are anywhere close to Premier League quality. Stephens, Buckley and CMS would be long-shots. Hoskins, who knows. Orlandi has been there before and not cut it with Swansea. Ince and March are ones for the future ... maybe ... but certainly couldn't be expected to step up a league next season.

So we'd need seven or eight players ... can't see that happening.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

IF we go up (cough) the squad will be utterly different to the one on the pitch today, so no need to worry about that right now.

What is more concerning is if we don't go up (highly likely), we need better players or tactics. If money ain't forthcoming from TB (understandably) then Oscar is gonna have to prove his worth. Gone by Xmas in my book.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We need better tactics - why play two wingers through the middle???

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I think the lack of fight we display is down to the fact that half the team are either 'on loan' or out of contract at the end of the season. Do they honestly give a toss whether we go up or not?

IF we go up (cough) the squad will be utterly different to the one on the pitch today, so no need to worry about that right now.

What is more concerning is if we don't go up (highly likely), we need better players or tactics. If money ain't forthcoming from TB (understandably) then Oscar is gonna have to prove his worth. Gone by Xmas in my book.

Yes agree with all that - we have the players to beat the likes of Blackpool and Yeovil no excuses. If we cant do that then there is something else wrong.

And we might not like it, but Palace have shown just how ridiculous these "Prem-phobic" fears are - a good manager who brings in good players can find three other malfunctioning teams to stay ahead of.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the lack of fight we display is down to the fact that half the team are either 'on loan' or out of contract at the end of the season. Do they honestly give a toss whether we go up or not?
Some of them are hoping we don't go up so they have a chance of a new deal because they know if we do go up they'll be out of the door anyway.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

If they want the chance of a new contract next season then yes they would be trying hard to convince that they are worth it - making the play-offs doesn't mean promotion and since when would a professional footballer give up trying when there is a chance of reaching and playing in the top flight (whether there is a chance that they will get a game or still be at the club is another matter, but if you don't even try then you will have no chance of playing there)

Is today a result of a lack of fight or that we were over-run in midfield (5 vs 3) and couldn't pass our way forward due to numbers? making us look poor. We could have put someone else in midfield to help us battle, we could have put someone else there to help to have players breaking into the oppositions penalty area to support Ulloa who was isolated.

We do better against teams that attack and therefore give us more space to counter, teams that put numbers behind the ball or flood the midfield are the teams we struggle against and they tend to be the lower ranked teams of the division and teasms that look at our recent home record (prioir to this season especially) and think that they will come for a draw and try to snatch 3 points on the counter attack if possible

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Dont worry we wont be going up

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
If they want the chance of a new contract next season then yes they would be trying hard to convince that they are worth it - making the play-offs doesn't mean promotion and since when would a professional footballer give up trying when there is a chance of reaching and playing in the top flight (whether there is a chance that they will get a game or still be at the club is another matter, but if you don't even try then you will have no chance of playing there)

Is today a result of a lack of fight or that we were over-run in midfield (5 vs 3) and couldn't pass our way forward due to numbers? making us look poor. We could have put someone else in midfield to help us battle, we could have put someone else there to help to have players breaking into the oppositions penalty area to support Ulloa who was isolated.

We do better against teams that attack and therefore give us more space to counter, teams that put numbers behind the ball or flood the midfield are the teams we struggle against and they tend to be the lower ranked teams of the division and teasms that look at our recent home record (prioir to this season especially) and think that they will come for a draw and try to snatch 3 points on the counter attack if possible

Your first paragraph doesn't cater for the 'on loan' players who will go back to their parent clubs with their large (in most cases) contracts intact.

Your second paragraph doesn't explain why when in most cases when the likes of Upson and Bruno bring the ball out of defence there is almost zero movement from our attacking players (Ulloa being the worst culprit, especially today) so they have no option but to play the 'bemoaned' sideways pass!

As for your last paragraph, if we can't find a way to break these teams down in the way that Leicester and Burnley have then we will never get out of this division!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

How on earth can you suggest we are currently lacking in depth?

Our bench had Buckley, CMS, Lopez, Forster-Caskey and Dunk. That is probably one of the most balanced and talented Albion benches during the 20 years I've been following the club.
And this with Ince and Orlandi out injured.

Ok many likely wouldn't cut it in the Prem, but at this level our squad is strong.

Fight and commitment - I'm much more inclined to agree.

Seeming lack of a plan on how to use resources at disposal - a much bigger issue today.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England

Our bench had Buckley, CMS, Lopez, Forster-Caskey and Dunk. That is probably one of the most balanced and talented Albion benches during the 20 years I've been following the club.

Ok many likely wouldn't cut it in the Prem, but at this level our squad is strong.

Seeming lack of a plan on how to use resources at disposal - a much bigger issue today.

not to forget Calde, who many people believe should be starting...very strong bench!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

Depth isn't numbers and in reality none of those have proved themselves consistently at a level that would ensure they are a part of our long term future!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here