Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion strikers INCLUDING ULLOA, aren't very good

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In my opinion, fans favourite Ulloa, is overrated. For a tall, strong target man, Blackpool's very average centre-backs had him in their pockets. They appeared to win almost all balls hoofed up to him. He lacks pace and mobility big time, leading to slow ponderous attacking play all round as midfielders wait for him to make his way back onside. Defenders relax in the knowledge he will never beat them from a ball over the top. (If Barnes had regularly displayed those sloth-like traits, he would have faced even more animosity from the noisy hate mob).

CMS's brief performance summed up why he spilt the fans so much before his injuries. Great trier and has made the most of his abilities, but is not a natural footballer, has a poor first touch and can't execute technical play. But no doubt a lovely guy at signing autographs and chatting at meet the fans evenings.

Lingard - incredible that he seems himself one day in the ManUre 1st 11 - several levels below their 4 existing strikers and they will just keep spending in a desperate bid to regain their top 4 status. There's confidence and there's self-dillusion.

The Brighton goals scored for stat over these Championship years I suspect is shockingly low, and some of that lies in having poor strikers.

If we want to keep the likes of Buckley and move forward, the striker issue must be addressed this Summer.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Erm.

Ulloa strike rate is very good.

No goals from set pieces from him either making it quite impressive.

Shame he missed the penalty.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure its the strikers its the appalling service being offered up by the midfield. Suarez would struggle with that lot behind him

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
In my opinion, fans favourite Ulloa, is overrated. For a tall, strong target man, Blackpool's very average centre-backs had him in their pockets. They appeared to win almost all balls hoofed up to him.

A lone striker is always going to struggle if the balls up to him are floated up to him at a height that sees them go harmlessly over him or drop on his head so he can only flick it back up. Ideally, if we want him linking up with back to goal they need to drop just short of him so he can get the ball under control without the defender getting there first

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Sorry mate but totally disagree. If anything has been proven in recent seasons it is that we rarely play to the strengths of our strike force or create them enough chances. Ulloa in the circumstances has done very well.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
Id also go as far as to say that Lingaard isnt a natural striker so comparing him with Manures front men is a little unfair, the players he is in theory up against in the current Man U squad are Zaha and januzaz or whatever his name is. not Rooney and Van Persle etc

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We lost the midfield battle against Blackpool and therefore couldn't play our way forward effectively.

Too often we have one person in the centre and then no-one near them (almost out to the touchline and back to the centre circle) so the ball in has to be perfect to give the outnumbered striker any real chance (I wish i had taken my phone to the match today as i could have taken a couple of photos to prove this)

It wouldn't matter if we had someone like Messi or Suarez up front today, we just never seem to offer enough support to the lone frontman in the middle. Our Wingers (Lua Lua and Lingard) are too wide to get into the box that often to offer real support and too often the midfield 3 are too deep to help offer support in the box even if the wingers could swing it in when they want but often delay it because there isn't anyone there to get on the end of it.

4-3-3 works against some teams but against a team flooding the midfield and sitting fairly deep we will tend to struggle and tend to need an early goal to draw out the opposition and give us space in which to attack.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
In my opinion, fans favourite Ulloa, is overrated. For a tall, strong target man, Blackpool's very average centre-backs had him in their pockets. They appeared to win almost all balls hoofed up to him. He lacks pace and mobility big time, leading to slow ponderous attacking play all round as midfielders wait for him to make his way back onside. Defenders relax in the knowledge he will never beat them from a ball over the top. (If Barnes had regularly displayed those sloth-like traits, he would have faced even more animosity from the noisy hate mob).

CMS's brief performance summed up why he spilt the fans so much before his injuries. Great trier and has made the most of his abilities, but is not a natural footballer, has a poor first touch and can't execute technical play. But no doubt a lovely guy at signing autographs and chatting at meet the fans evenings.

Lingard - incredible that he seems himself one day in the ManUre 1st 11 - several levels below their 4 existing strikers and they will just keep spending in a desperate bid to regain their top 4 status. There's confidence and there's self-dillusion.

The Brighton goals scored for stat over these Championship years I suspect is shockingly low, and some of that lies in having poor strikers.

If we want to keep the likes of Buckley and move forward, the striker issue must be addressed this Summer.

Mmm you forgot buckley in your list should have scored yet again and missed! not in the game enough too brittle for me mho.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Agree totally with OP.

Since Murray, which striker has been on fire for us, and consistently frightened Championship defences? None.

Ulloa is slow, heavy looking, and when we counter attack we have to wait for him to get back onside. Opposing managers must have the same team talk - "keep tight on ponderous Ulloa. You will win most high balls against this whiner, and he will NEVER beat you for pace." Amazing if Sunderland really did rate him as PL class.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Agree totally with OP.

Since Murray, which striker has been on fire for us, and consistently frightened Championship defences? None.

Ulloa is slow, heavy looking, and when we counter attack we have to wait for him to get back onside. Opposing managers must have the same team talk - "keep tight on ponderous Ulloa. You will win most high balls against this whiner, and he will NEVER beat you for pace." Amazing if Sunderland really did rate him as PL class.

Would that be Murray who played in a team where he had support from other players around him in the box which in turn created space for Murray to work in and was also at a lower league level than now? Since then, when have we played and got good numbers consistantly into the opposition half let alone in their penalty area? Murray would struggle playing the lone role for us now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
whatever happens loads will be gone by next season anyway

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Would that be Murray who played in a team where he had support from other players around him in the box which in turn created space for Murray to work in and was also at a lower league level than now? Since then, when have we played and got good numbers consistantly into the opposition half let alone in their penalty area? Murray would struggle playing the lone role for us now.

Would that be the Murray that scored vital and stunning goals from half chances for Brighton, and then vital goals for CP in a 4-5-1 formation at the next level up, the Championship, giving both clubs promotion? Yes, I believe it is.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
I like Ulloa, but thought he was poor today. We put some good balls into the opposition box today which he should have tried harder to get onto. Apart from the assist for goal, he didnt look dangerous or hungry enough today! As i have said numerous times before on here, he is in the team regardless of what he does in the previous game.To get the best out of him, he needs genuine competition! And i`m not talking CMS!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Ulloa is off to the Stadium Of Light in the summer , Buckley is only 50/50 to join him because of injury worries and Gus has to convince the Sunderland board he is worth a punt.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I like Ulloa, alot, but I think we might cash in and spend that money on a more mobile front man or two. Who that ma(e)n is I have no idea

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Where are the 4-2-3-1 merchants tonight ?
The 4-4-2 boys are growing in numbers Yehaaaaaaa.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here