Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

our corners and free kicks

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
generally very poor. What's worse is that we use some sort of code (bouncing the ball twice) to indicate that we are going to kick it over everyone's head for it to go out for a goal kick - change the code or change the kicker.

Free kick near the end - looking to the bench to ask what to do indicates poor preparation.

it can't be that hard - what do the coaching manuals say Jones and Garcia?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Every corner and cross just went to high and over everyone and out for a goal kick. Surely they can think for themself what type of ball to put in.
I was getting so frustrated with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Man of the Match Stephens does know we play in blue and white stripes, doesn't he?

Feb 14, 2010
As a rule free kicks should be on target of the goal so that a small deflection will likely result in a goal or if nobody touches it then the keeper has to save it. Hoofing it to the far post is brainless. As for corners, then if they cant find some decent corner ideas when all they do is play football all week then you have to question their brains.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Between Ulloa, Upson, Greer and (if he's playing) Ince, we have enough in the air to cause a problem if we put a good ball in.

I'm not a fan of short corners/free kicks - whip a fast cross into the box at a decent height and put the onus on the opposition to deal with it.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Been like this for yonks! What winds me up, is that we play to win corners at times and then produce a diabolical ball from it!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i think it was mourinho who said that he couldn't understand why English fans cheer when their team wins a corner - I think the same about us

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have worked out the corner signals though:-

1 hand 1 finger raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
1 hand 5 fingers raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
Both hands 1 finger on each raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
Both hands all fingers raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
No hands raised - kick ball straight at near post defender.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

1 hand 1 finger raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
1 hand 5 fingers raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
Both hands 1 finger on each raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.
Both hands all fingers raised - Ball kicked over the last persons head, out for a throw in.

spot on. I wonder how bad our corners would be if they didn't practice them

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea

LMAO BRILLIANT yet so true

Feb 14, 2010

Hilarious, how much do the coaching staff get paid?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
generally very poor. What's worse is that we use some sort of code (bouncing the ball twice) to indicate that we are going to kick it over everyone's head for it to go out for a goal kick - change the code or change the kicker.

Free kick near the end - looking to the bench to ask what to do indicates poor preparation.

Doesn't need any kind of coach at all, just a footballer with half a brain and a modicum of talent. It's schoolboy stuff and shameful the amount of times our dead-ball chances are pissed up the wall.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Same every week, set pieces are terrible. On another thread people are moaning about how many times Kaz was fouled yet nothing given.. As if we would be making anything from the free kicks anyway!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Great question on the subject of corners and free kicks, the codes look very complicated and we drag our tall defemders up to the box and over hit the dead ball, six times today. if we can't manage a dead ball situation we have little chance in open play, I'm starting to believe there is very little strategy in what we do. take a leaf from the NFL, where are the special teams for such situations, oh and keep Lua Lua as far away from set pieces as possible! The wasted opportunities from dead balls today was unforgivable! Whats going on with the coaching staff????????

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
My first rule of corners at football. Have somebody hanging about at the back of the box to pick up anything that goes over the last defender! How many times would a player have picked it up if he had been at the back of the box yesterday!!
And have seen it so many other times in games at the Amex this season. Bloody frustrating and so easily remedied if players just had some sort of brain power, or even coached into them!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

:lol: Fantastic. That actually brought a tear to my eye :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here