Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huge opportunity for Seagulls to apply pressure......

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
As a neutral, I feel the Seagulls have been presented with a fabulous opportunity to pile the pressure on their rivals for a play-off place and maybe eliminate some from contention before the final day of the season.

Playing on Friday night against Yeovil could prove to be a huge advantage.

On paper, Brighton should beat Blackpool on Monday and Yeovil on Friday - the six points putting them on 71 points with a healthy GD and an eight-day rest before the final game at Forest.

Maximum points on Monday/Friday would mean that the best any of the other play-off hopefuls could reach before next Saturday would be 67 (Ipswich and Reading). This could be less if Ipswich drop points against Bournemouth and Reading against Middlesbrough.

Watford, with a game in hand, are my dark horses but they face tough away games against QPR/Derby/Charlton before a final day encounter against Huddersfield.

Get yourselves on 71 points and it only needs Reading and Ipswich to draw one of their next 2 games to leave the Seagulls maybe being able to afford losing on the final day such is their superior goal difference.

On Saturday night, it could look like:

6 Brighton 71
7 Reading 68
8 Ipswich 68
9 Blackburn 68
10 Forest 68
11 Watford 66*

*Game in hand for Watford but it is hard to see them winning at BOTH QPR and Derby.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
We'll manage to get beaten by both I expect. We can stop getting all hot and bothered that way.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
It might be that on the final day, Brighton only need to avoid defeat by three or four goals to clinch 6th place ahead of Forest on GD.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
We'll manage to get beaten by both I expect. We can stop getting all hot and bothered that way.

Well, I'd be amazed if you did not beat Blackpool - Burnley were well below-par of Friday with Ings and Barnes misfiring but Blackpool only had ONE shot on target.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I am guessing from your user name your are a Burnley fan, therefore perhaps you could translate to your team that we need you to keep going and win your last three games. Thanks!

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I am guessing from your user name your are a Burnley fan, therefore perhaps you could translate to your team that we need you to keep going and win your last three games. Thanks!

Yes, I am one of the more pessimistic BFC fans. My thinking is that we could well lose against an in-form and almost full-strength Wigan tomorrow and will still need something from our last 2 games at home to Ipswich and Reading.

Six points for Brighton by Friday night would certainly be a huge blow for Ipswich and Reading plus the only other realistic, in my view, contender, Watford.

I may be wrong but off-form Reading could well lose at home to Boro and be mathematically out of the race by Friday night.:)

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Well, I'd be amazed if you did not beat Blackpool - Burnley were well below-par of Friday with Ings and Barnes misfiring but Blackpool only had ONE shot on target.

You do know this is a Brighton forum? We are the past masters at ****ing up at the last hurdle.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Blackpool are seriously bad and, if you keep it tight at the back, you will need only one goal to beat them.

Yeovil are more spirited and still fighting hard but a draw is of no use to them, so they will have to attack. The Seagulls should stay patient and pick them off.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Yes, I am one of the more pessimistic BFC fans. My thinking is that we could well lose against an in-form and almost full-strength Wigan tomorrow and will still need something from our last 2 games at home to Ipswich and Reading.

Six points for Brighton by Friday night would certainly be a huge blow for Ipswich and Reading plus the only other realistic, in my view, contender, Watford.

I may be wrong but Reading could lose at home to Boro and be mathematically out of the race by Friday night.:)

You are correct re-Reading but given the constant failure of anyone to make the 6th place their own, I predict more surprises yet.

For my money its a four horse race us, Reading, Ipswich & Forest.

I only really include Forest as we go there on the last day.

Watford have three very tough away games Bournemouth won't win at Ipswich and Blackburn are relying on too many other teams slip ups.

Tomorrow is HUGE

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As a neutral, I feel the Seagulls have been presented with a fabulous opportunity to pile the pressure on their rivals for a play-off place and maybe eliminate some from contention before the final day of the season.

Playing on Friday night against Yeovil could prove to be a huge advantage.

On paper, Brighton should beat Blackpool on Monday and Yeovil on Friday - the six points putting them on 71 points with a healthy GD and an eight-day rest before the final game at Forest.

Maximum points on Monday/Friday would mean that the best any of the other play-off hopefuls could reach before next Saturday would be 67 (Ipswich and Reading). This could be less if Ipswich drop points against Bournemouth and Reading against Middlesbrough.

Watford, with a game in hand, are my dark horses but they face tough away games against QPR/Derby/Charlton before a final day encounter against Huddersfield.

Get yourselves on 71 points and it only needs Reading and Ipswich to draw one of their next 2 games to leave the Seagulls maybe being able to afford losing on the final day such is their superior goal difference.

On Saturday night, it could look like:

6 Brighton 71
7 Reading 68
8 Ipswich 68
9 Blackburn 68
10 Forest 68
11 Watford 66*

*Game in hand for Watford but it is hard to see them winning at BOTH QPR and Derby.
Who both have nothing to play for.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I agree Ipswich should take care of Bournemouth at PR, but Reading look a dispirited outfit at the moment with injury problems. I can see them slipping up at home to Boro and they won't relish a trip to a fired-up Doncaster side next Saturday.

I am hoping Reading will be mathematically out of it before the final day as a possible safety net if we mess up our 2 home games against Wigan and Ipswich.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If you look at their forums, Derby certainly have NOT given up on automatic. Barnsley (h), Watford (h) and Leeds (a) are not the hardest of fixtures.
No chance.

You boys are home and dry already.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We need a Burnley win, Ipswich draw, Birmingham win,QPR win and a Leeds win.
So our 1 - 0 win will be a perfect result.
'Huge opportunity to apply pressure', he doesn't know us well does he.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here