Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it possible for the Amex to be Extended more

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes there is and the exits currently meet the fire standards for a 2nd tier all round.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I thought it could increase by 38,000?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Yes there is and the exits currently meet the fire standards for a 2nd tier all round.

Any idea what these 2nd tiers would look like? I hope they're not similar to the 1901 tier in size.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know we've been wrapped up with the thrilling footy, but I can't believe no one's asked this before. Imagine 68,000!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
No, it can't.

There's no room anyway, but even if there was, capacity is also dictated by the number of exits/toilets etc per person, and dependent on transport links. 30k is more than enough if we were ever to get to the prem anyway.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
According to league rules it can be increased by either 10% of existing capacity or by 2,000 seats...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A couple of hundred could be squeezed in but that would be it.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
We could dig down further for the pitch and use the withdean temporary seats! :)

On a serious note didn't man city do this after the commonwealth games?

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Any stadium can be expanded. Due to it's design, I think the amex would need major surgery to increase it's capacity though.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It can be increased by a thousand or so just by extending the east upper on both sides over the north east and south east corners. In fact the infrastructure is already there. The kiosks have flat roofs and supports ready for a tier on top. It wouldn't add much but at least 1k. There are likely to be other small areas. I'd say about 1-3k total. Barber has said that there is a possibility within the current structure to increase but not by much.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
We could dig down further for the pitch and use the withdean temporary seats! :)

On a serious note didn't man city do this after the commonwealth games?

Yes they did at City but only because the original Commonwealth bowl was large enough to accomodate an athletics track. Therefore going down enabled new tier to be added around a football pitch. If we dug down the new tier would have to be virtually vertical as the stadium already hugs the pitch.

For me the only realistic chance of expansion would be safe standing or removing all offices in North and smashing through wall at back of stand to push tier further up into the roof. But I imagine there would be pillars and this clearly sounds v expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here