Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the WEIRDEST thing you've EATEN?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Every now and then my wife gets some fresh goat from Henry's Meat Market and makes a spicy Caribbean curry with it. My son thinks this is disgusting and refuses to touch it, so last night I grossed him out with some of the other "weird" things I'd eaten (quite a lot as I lived in Asia for over three years). This included Octopus Beak (actually quite like squid, lovely in a good sauce), stinky tofu (tastes as bad as it smells), snake blood (strictly just for the tourists but combined with the booze it gives you a great buzz) and emu (needs to be cooked no more than rare, ideally blue). I did draw the line at the chicken arse on a stick that the Taiwanese munch while walking round night markets.

So what's the weirdest / most gross out / most unexpectedly good thing you've EATEN. And yes ENREST I said eaten and not just put in your MOUTH.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Has to be snails for me, I thought they would be like whelks but sadly they were not and pretty unpleasant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A 1901 lasagne.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
odd pub nibble from Africa was Grasshoppers fried up with chilli........surprisingly tasty.

sort of like spicy twiglets.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Pigs trotters.
My mother has a lot to answer for, I would not keep on giving my kids something they hate but we used to be fed pigs trotters when I was a kid. :sick:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I'll give most things a bash but the Japanese eat these crabs ( I forget the mame of them) that are covered in thick barnacles and whatnot. Blighters eat them like toffee apples and I couldn't even bite through the shell it was so hard. How they don't break every tooth in their heads is a minor miracle.

How did they lose the war? They're nails.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Durian fruit. Not weird for the taste, but the smell is horrendous.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was presented with an 'uni' (a sea urchin) in Tokyo. It looked like a large speckled bogey but, as I had been given it as guest of honour, I had no choice but to eat it. Actually once I got over the texture and appearance I found it quite tasty. However, what I ate of a pickled pigs head in Cyprus (complete with hairs) tasted every bit as foul as it looked.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Kangaroo & Ale Pie at a tiny petrol station in the outback.

The meat was very tough and a bit bland. Can't see it as an AMEX special anytime soon.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I liked sea urchin. I've also tried crocodile, buffalo, zebra and Ostrich, scorpion, ants, and other numerous bugs All quite nice really.

I think the worst stuff I've tasted is probably my Step father's cooking because being a war child he freezes months worth of meat so that the only thing it's good for by the time he gets round to cooking it is slow cooking in a stew. All the flavour is gone from months in the freezer and it's a watery, garlicky. sloppy soup by the time it gets to the table. He also insists on boiling every vegetable for literally 40 mins. Grim.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Kangaroo burger for me as well. Not exactly KER-azy weird but also not something you buy a bag of 20 of from tescos for your barbecue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here