Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Moores takes up the England coaching role for the second time

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I had a nice chat with Mr Moores when James Anderson was tearing us apart a couple of seasons ago, he is absolute gent whilst simultaneously incredibly intense.

We are in good hands.

As the OP states, now the ego has left the building Moores can sort the shambles out.

Plus it screws up Lancashire, which can only be a good thing.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I'm pleased about this. He didn't get a fair shot at it last time. I remember from his time at Sussex how hard he works to get an edge on the opposition. Top bloke.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Plus we get to keep Robbo for a bit longer (unless he shifts off up to Lancashire that is).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a nice chat with Mr Moores when James Anderson was tearing us apart a couple of seasons ago, he is absolute gent whilst simultaneously incredibly intense.

We are in good hands.

As the OP states, now the ego has left the building Moores can sort the shambles out.

Plus it screws up Lancashire, which can only be a good thing.

This, I think that Moores was wrongly jettisoned in the KP fiasco and has kept a quiet dignity and got on with the job at Lancs to good effect. By the sounds of things lots of players already in the England squad rate him as a coach and we honestly have no future under Giles. Robbo's time may come but not just yet. so as you say, we get to keep our up and coming coach, however, I would be amazed if Lancashire are not on the blower to Adams asap.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Good appointment. Glad they didn't go for Giles, he's alread damaged goods after last winter's Ashes.

I didn't rate Moores last time he was in charge but with hindsight I think he had a difficult job taking over Duncan Fletcher's team that had done well but needed an overhaul. We had two dreadful series under him - India at home and New Zealand away.

He is again taking over a team that needs an overhaul but this time they've already hit rock bottom so he has a chance to break up the old boys club in the dressing room and bring through a totally new group that isn't caying the baggage of defeat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always thought Peter Moores was an outstanding professional. It appears he has the respect of the players. It was him who finally stopped Lancashire from being the championship chokers in 2011.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Plus we get to keep Robbo for a bit longer (unless he shifts off up to Lancashire that is).

Hopefully, him being a Yorkshire thoroughbred, such a possibility would be limited.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Firstly, I have to say I think Peter Moores is a very talented coach and us Sussex CCC fans have plenty to be greatful to him for but.....

This is like the football team appointing Hodgson. Safe, yes but are we seriously saying that he is the best man around on a global level? The England cricket coach has to be one of the most coveted jobs on an international level. It suprises me that the ECB didn't interview any heavier hitters.

The "no stars" approach could work and it could just as easily see a slide back to the mediocrity of the pre Fletcher era.

Firstly, I have to say I think Peter Moores is a very talented coach and us Sussex CCC fans have plenty to be greatful to him for but.....

This is like the football team appointing Hodgson. Safe, yes but are we seriously saying that he is the best man around on a global level? The England cricket coach has to be one of the most coveted jobs on an international level. It suprises me that the ECB didn't interview any heavier hitters.

The "no stars" approach could work and it could just as easily see a slide back to the mediocrity of the pre Fletcher era.

Which heavy-hitters? Kirsten was the most obvious one and made it clear that he didn't want the job. Hardly going to tempt Lehmann (or Fletcher!) from the other top jobs, and I can't think of many others that are stand-out candidates. It's a joyous side effect of the money of the IPL that managing national teams (particularly teams like England that play so much cricket) is a lot less attractive when you can earn the same amount of money as coaching England brings with a 12 week stint managing an IPL side (also leaving you clear for money-spinning jobs in the IPL and Caribbean Twenty20 league should your heart desire).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Apart from Hodgson had a good track record as an international coach whereas Moores hasn't.

He did a great job for Sussex but the papers have been of revisionatist bullshit about KP forcing him out rather than (like with Flowers) he was failing and needed to go.

This is has some good points
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/apr/22/peter-moores-england-head-coach-the-spin

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
A very talented county coach, but not convinced this is a good appointment, it's just a 'safe' appointment and someone new management feel they can work with and handle. It's almost as if trying to go extra mile to put a line under KP and whilst he may have his detractors, there are some who will think KP was right as a senior player (to some degree) to air concerns about Moores if he genuinely felt he was not up to the job and holding England back. If it wasn't Robbo as a fresh face, and someone I think would have done a great job, then they should have gone for an established international coach - irrespective of results England remains probably the top job in world cricket so going for a face that fits just doesn't strike me a what we need to get back to world number one again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apart from Hodgson had a good track record as an international coach whereas Moores hasn't.
[/url]

then they should have gone for an established international coach -

You both talk of international experience but of the five candidates, only Moores, Giles and Bayliss had international experience (and Giles only in ODI/20-20 cricket). Moores with England A and England experience was probably the closest to an established international coach.

I'm not sure that Moores is the best option but after seeing the way the limited overs teams crumbled in the winter, particularly in losing to a pub team like Netherlands, I'm damn sure Giles wasn't an option either. And Bayliss has no experience in England at all - that would have been an oddball appointment.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You both talk of international experience but of the five candidates, only Moores, Giles and Bayliss had international experience (and Giles only in ODI/20-20 cricket). Moores with England A and England experience was probably the closest to an established international coach.

I'm not sure that Moores is the best option but after seeing the way the limited overs teams crumbled in the winter, particularly in losing to a pub team like Netherlands, I'm damn sure Giles wasn't an option either. And Bayliss has no experience in England at all - that would have been an oddball appointment.

I wasn't arguing that we needed a coach with international experience, I was saying that Hodgson and Moores were different as Hodgson had a succesful international record and Moores definately did not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here