Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yaya Toure

D

Deleted member 18477

The English media give him great recognition! Sky, BT and MOTD regularly call out his performances.

Poor yaya on his 300k a week...that should be enough recognition as it is!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Samuel eto'o undervalued? The man moved to Russia and became the best paid player in the world in one of the worst leagues for racism!!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Yes they get fantastic money but there is an opinion in football that players are treated like a commodity; especially the young and vulnerable players from economically or socially ravaged countries. At a dinner I think it was called "black business men of the year" it was attended by many black players Yaya being one. Basically it was a platform to praise footballers but question what they are doing for their respective home countries. With great wealth comes greater responsibility etc. One speaker I found very interesting was referring to a lot of young african children using football as a way out. Being picket up by european clubs and dumped after a few years if they don't make the grade, most don't! Thus leaving these young men with little education and little options.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One speaker I found very interesting was referring to a lot of young african children using football as a way out. Being picket up by european clubs and dumped after a few years if they don't make the grade, most don't! Thus leaving these young men with little education and little options.
That's not a race thing though, that's an economics thing. It can happen in poor areas regardless of race.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
That's not a race thing though, that's an economics thing. It can happen in poor areas regardless of race.

I understand what you saying but you could use the same argument for the old triangular trading, that was heavily reliant on exploiting poor economies and its citizens. I'm not comparing what some young footballers go through as anything like slavery! But there are group of people who see echo's of exploitation.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I understand what you saying but you could use the same argument for the old triangular trading, that was heavily reliant on exploiting poor economies and its citizens.
Partly, but I think at the time white people thought that black people were less human and didn't deserve the same rights. Right now I'm sure there are areas all over the world where success in sport can be seen as a way out for some, and failure leaves them worse than had they not spent so long trying.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He said: "If you go to any part of Africa now, people will say, 'yes, we know him [Messi]', but when you come to Europe and say 'Yaya Toure' people will say, 'who is that?' Some will say they know my name but not know my face. But they will know Messi's face."

Indeed Yaya. It must be painful when you're not even mentioned in the same breath as the greatest goalscorer in Barcelona's entire history. A player who has won EVERYTHING there is to win at club level several times over, and in doing so has broken more goalscoring records than there are goalscoring records for, whilst being (bar one fairly high-profile rival) widely acknowledged as probably the greatest player on the planet for the last 5 years. Must be because you're black I suppose.

I feel equally as wounded at not being as gorgeous as Brad Pitt. But I guess I'm just too ugly.

Sickening to be so under-appreciated isn't it. Sickening.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i can only assume he is talking about elsewhere in the football world, because his ability has been well recognised here. and Drogba is widely seen as the perfect centre forward (minus the histrionics) however i think he over plays his hand (or is making a point...? ) when comparing to Messi and Ronaldo - no one else is being compared to those two and he simply doesnt score the goals to do so due to his position

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Partly, but I think at the time white people thought that black people were less human and didn't deserve the same rights. Right now I'm sure there are areas all over the world where success in sport can be seen as a way out for some, and failure leaves them worse than had they not spent so long trying.

I do understand where your coming from that's why i added to my previous post.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
People talk about Toure as the best midfielder in the Premier League. He's the sort of dynamic player that every club dreams of having.

They used to speak of the Makelele role in the same sort of tones back when he was at his peak, and Michael Essien was hugely admired. Patrick Vieira similarly. I can't think of them being disrespected in any sense.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People talk about Toure as the best midfielder in the Premier League. He's the sort of dynamic player that every club dreams of having.

They used to speak of the Makelele role in the same sort of tones back when he was at his peak, and Michael Essien was hugely admired. Patrick Vieira similarly. I can't think of them being disrespected in any sense.

This. Every person I've spoke to thinks Toure is a fantastic player, as you say the perfect midfielder. The Drogba comment is just as bewildering as Drogba is widely recognised as one of the greatest Centre Forwards in premier league history.

Very strange. Don't understand what point he is trying to make really.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Oh FFS......Why the need to turn this into an unnecessary race thing!

If he thinks this country and our footballing ways are racist then he is free to vent his anger and vote with his feet and **** off!

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I understand what you saying but you could use the same argument for the old triangular trading, that was heavily reliant on exploiting poor economies and its citizens. I'm not comparing what some young footballers go through as anything like slavery! But there are group of people who see echo's of exploitation.

The slave trade wasn't racist and neither is this. It's a social and economic thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He said: "If you go to any part of Africa now, people will say, 'yes, we know him [Messi]', but when you come to Europe and say 'Yaya Toure' people will say, 'who is that?' Some will say they know my name but not know my face. But they will know Messi's face."
:lol: what a tw@.

I do understand where your coming from that's why i added to my previous post.
I obviously didn't think you were comparing what they go through with slavery. And I'm sure plenty of people are exploited. I just think they're exploited because people can make money out of them, not because of their colour.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i must admit i read his twaffle on the bbc site and thought..."what the feck is he on about".....sour grapes for some reason....!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Laughable that he thinks he is close to the incomparable Messi and if 'Pool win the title everyone is miles behind Gerrard & Suarez for player of the year

Indy

Apr 19, 2012
Toure is miles better than Gerrard, but Gerrard might get the English journos vote.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here