Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Problem with modern football is....Goal Nets.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Do miss the old Wembley goals, of course the problem is these days stadia are brand new or redeveloped so enabling much more space between stand and goal. The old north stand you almost touch the pitch leaning over the stand, see also The Dell, Highbury etc. Now however there is more space between the 2 entities, allowing the more space consuming hanging box nets, although there were instances of goals being score (or not) and not being allowed due to rebounding straight of the stanchon.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Do miss the old Wembley goals, of course the problem is these days stadia are brand new or redeveloped so enabling much more space between stand and goal. The old north stand you almost touch the pitch leaning over the stand, see also The Dell, Highbury etc. Now however there is more space between the 2 entities, allowing the more space consuming hanging box nets, although there were instances of goals being score (or not) and not being allowed due to rebounding straight of the stanchon.

That palace 'goal' by one of the Allen's always makes me giggle. They were bloody furious!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Park footy, I Used to love the ones where you'd score and the ball would backspin down the back of the net from roof to bottom and get lodged behind the metal bar on the ground. I guess health and safety will have seen the end of them.

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Park footy, I Used to love the ones where you'd score and the ball would backspin down the back of the net from roof to bottom and get lodged behind the metal bar on the ground. I guess health and safety will have seen the end of them.

I used to be able tell the football ground by the goal nets and back stanchions alone 10 - 20 years ago. I'm very proud of the Amex but the nets are very poor and uninteresting.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I can handle the box nets - as a kid I longed to be able to strike a ball into one of those, makes the target seem so much bigger to me - but what I strongly object to is the colour of the nets.

I have no problem with teams using their club colours for net design and would positively encourage such affirmative action by us, but what I cannot stand are black nets.

Man City and Chelsea both have these and you can't see the net, let alone the goal, against the football fan denim couture of the modern age it gets lost in the background.

Blackburn for ages had my favourite design of box goals - taught nets with a hexagonal hole rather than square. Gorgeous.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here