Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest news from The Bevy.

It's been a very bad week for Brighton boozers.

The Cuthbert and Newmarket Arms have been lost to housing, while the property vultures are circling over the Rosehill Tavern.

Whatever you think of these pubs, once they are lost, they are gone forever from the community and we need more than smart phones and shopping to nourish the soul.

However, there's one place that is nearly ready to open four years after being closed down.

Thanks to a few pig-headed residents, a superhero Vicar, hundreds of shareholders and a government grant, the old Bevendean Pub has been transformed and is set to become the first co-op pub on a housing estate in the UK. Building work has now finished but we need just a bit more money to get us over the finishing line.

Instead of brick dust we can nearly taste our first pint!

Our strapline has always been that it will be so much more than just a pub and one of the reasons we got the grant was because of letters of support from groups as diverse as the local brownies, NHS, Albion in the Community and residents groups. It will be a community hub, something for everyone, somewhere for people to meet, to chew over the day's events and get to know our neighbours.

We still need £40,000 to kit out the kitchen, fit and stock the bar, put in the cellar and build the pub garden.

So can you help? Have you brought your share yet? Could you afford to invest in a few more? This is your chance to not only be part of a little piece of history but also play your part in bucking the trend of 18 pubs closing every week.

Come along to our drop in day on Sunday 27th April between 12 noon-4pm and see what a group of determined people can achieve.

--
The Bevy Team
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.thebevy.co.uk/gift
http://www.thebevy.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TheBevy
http://twitter.com/thebevy

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Ar one point the French government had an office whose job, essentially, was to provide a cafe in places that should have one - housing estates, villages on their uppers, etc -- and didn't.
The theory was that it was impossible to be properly French without one, and seeing that people were being properly French was a legitimate function of the government.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
the days of people meeting at the end of the day over a pint are grinding to a painful end.....simple reason is it's £4 a pint, and about £1 for a drink at home. £4 a pint is nearly an hours work for many people.

In Spain it's 1 euro a beer and a free tapa thrown in = no bars close.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's a worthy project that deserves support, not just in money but any time and building/decorating skills would be much appreciated.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
the days of people meeting at the end of the day over a pint are grinding to a painful end.....simple reason is it's £4 a pint, and about £1 for a drink at home. £4 a pint is nearly an hours work for many people.

In Spain it's 1 euro a beer and a free tapa thrown in = no bars close.

I just hate them capitalist zionist lizards, don't you?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good luck with the project. The area definitely needs a good pub :thumbsup:

I have mixed memories of the old place. My mate, his dad (now sadly RIP) and their dog lived opposite. The dog was a big vicious German Shepherd and me and another mate hated it. The guy who lived opposite the pub knew this but his dad was a non stop practical joker and would promise to leave the dog in the back if we were due round before actually leaving it in the front. It chased both of us at different times out of the garden and all the way to the door of the pub ensuring we'd have to have a pint while it went home. Had a bit of a reputation (the pub, not the dog) but I never got any trouble in there, despite being a Portslader.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Give a quick bounce the Bevy now have a landlord/manager. Chris Pobjoy from Romans in Southwick.

Getting close to opening now :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Another bounce, the Bevy is reopening,:banana:

The pub will be reopening from Friday 12th December with a launch party on Saturday 13th (have been advised TV crews will be in attendance!)

Well done to all involved

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Brilliant news

Very well done to all who put so much work into getting what will be a fantastic community resource up and running :thumbsup:

(And having a 49 bus stop right outside, would make a great pre/post-match watering hole :wink: )

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I watched their video, such a huge amount of planning and work has gone into it. I see they're selling beer brewed in Hollingdean terrace from Bartleby's brewery, i've not heard of it before.

To settle an argument with the wife, I say that Hillside is in moulsecoomb, she says it's in Bevendean that's why it's called the Bevendean or Bevy as it is now. Someone out there must know for sure.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I watched their video, such a huge amount of planning and work has gone into it. I see they're selling beer brewed in Hollingdean terrace from Bartleby's brewery, i've not heard of it before.

To settle an argument with the wife, I say that Hillside is in moulsecoomb, she says it's in Bevendean that's why it's called the Bevendean or Bevy as it is now. Someone out there must know for sure.

I would say you are correct, St Andrew's church is in Hillside and that has always been known as St Andrews Moulsecoomb.
When I was a kid I had a friend that lived in Hillside, this was further up the road from the church and not far from the pub, he always said he lived in Bevendean.

I wouldn't say that Moulscoomb station is in Moulsecoomb.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Good luck with what you you trying to achieve we have lost another good pub in Cuckfield due to retirement and the owner selling to a chain which had a development arm which has sold it to the co-op also the White Hart is under threat being converted into two houses this will be the third loss of a pub in Cuckfield and 4 have gone in Haywards Heath. Thank goodness Hardings catering( Brighton Fans) have taken over the Talbot in the high street and it's had a refit and new function room and Restraunt. Pubs have to do good food to survive these days and get involved in the community in villages and suburbs of large towns. Hope you get the pub up and running!

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The bit including the corner where the pub is, up the hill to the end of Birdham Road, and all that little 'enclave' as it were, is known as Higher Bevendean. Lower Bevendean, or sometimes just Bevendean, is normally taken as from the middle shops up The Avenue, and into what is a natural valley including the school, and further back to the football pitch up the very end :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here