Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good smaller/quieter museums in London

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi, got to pop up to London later but was thinking about stopping off at a museum. Obviously likely to be chaos on a Bank Holiday, does anyone have any recommendations of places that are likely to be a bit quieter, i.e. not the Natural History Museum?

Thought I might try the Museum of London.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Visited the Museum of London yesterday, was relatively busy but not overly crowded. Modern history is more my bag and I really enjoyed a lot of the exhibits, would recommend. As a side, we also booked onto a tour of the Royal Courts of Justice and the Old Bailey, for £6 it was unbelievable value and was really interesting.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hi, got to pop up to London later but was thinking about stopping off at a museum. Obviously likely to be chaos on a Bank Holiday, does anyone have any recommendations of places that are likely to be a bit quieter, i.e. not the Natural History Museum?

Museum of London gets my vote as would a quick stop in Lincoln's Inn to visit both the Sir John Soames Museum - two converted townhouses crammed full of artifacts that he collected over his life - and/or the museum at the Royal college of surgeons across the square.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not a museum as such but The National Portrait Gallery is an experience.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We went to the Museum of London before the Millwall game, and there's no end to see there, so that's a good call in my book. If you want a gallery that's not a big name, then the Whitechapel usually has some interesting stuff on, and has been (beautifully) refitted recently.

JackJ

Apr 16, 2012
The Horniman museum is amazing although a bit of a trek from Central. The overground to forest hill from London bridge gets you there. Definitely worth a visit if you have the time and has a stuffed walrus.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not a museum as such but The National Portrait Gallery is an experience.

i was going to suggest. be sure to see the Statemen of World War 1, Churchill has an prophetic prominance given the time of the painting.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Not sure if your trip was today, if so it is too late for me to recommend the Wallace Collection north of Oxford Street which as well as fine Art has a substantial gallery of arms and armour. The other possibility is the Clink Prison Museum on the South Bank.

..Another vote for the Museum of London for me. The Golden Hinde replica on the South Bank is also worth a visit, guided tour of around an hour was great for kids. We had a guide who was in full on "horrible history" mode - you would not believe the uses that poo and wee were put to on a Tudor warship and as for the gallery at the rear where the officers pooed, we were told that they had used the one on the replica until the Starbucks opposite complained!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a museum in the basement of The Royal Society NOBODY knows about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Have you just met a new girl? You'll be asking about picnics and Thai restaurants next :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here