Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do DJs talk over intros

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's something to do with payments. The radio station has to pay more to the artist if the complete song is played so talk overs are a way to reduce payments. At least that was the explanation I heard from a radio station owner/ executive when he was asked that question by a listener.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Someone read out a text on radio 1 to the same effect yesterday and their response was "don't be so grumpy". I can only imagine 99% of the listeners completely agreed with the texter- it's very annoying.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is one reason I don't listen to radio any more, I just want to hear music!

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
As said earlier it used to be to stop people recording the music from the radio. Let's face it back in the day everyone used to record the charts on a sunday afternoon from the radio.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
forrest, I remember those days!

And, at least for me, the strange thing is that the DJ's intro or comments started to become part of the song, if you kept on playing your radio-copied version of the song...

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Yeah, it's pain pausing and restarting your c90, just right.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I remember vaguely that on Radio Sussex or Southern Sound in the late 80s early 90s there was a show where they played indie music and they never talked over them I specifically remember hearing Blur's first single She's So High for the first time and a three second pause afterwayds and then the DJ saying "Well that's in my shopping basket!" or words to that effect.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember vaguely that on Radio Sussex or Southern Sound in the late 80s early 90s there was a show where they played indie music and they never talked over them I specifically remember hearing Blur's first single She's So High for the first time and a three second pause afterwayds and then the DJ saying "Well that's in my shopping basket!" or words to that effect.

It was a Sunday night show. I want to say Totally Wired but that could be wrong.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It was a Sunday night show. I want to say Totally Wired but that could be wrong.

Just googled it and apparently Totally Wired was a programme presented by Mike Bradshaw on Surf FM but same fella apparently did a programme called Turn it Up on Radio Sussex. Was that the one?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just googled it and apparently Totally Wired was a programme presented by Mike Bradshaw on Surf FM but same fella apparently did a programme called Turn it Up on Radio Sussex. Was that the one?

That's it- Turn It Up.
I think the folk behind Melting Vinyl were the DJs.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gets more tracks in to the same amount of time if they talk over the intro rather than leaving gaps; useful if stations market themselves on "more music" policies.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I used to go to the nightclub on Eastbourne pier in the late 1980's early 1990's (cannot remember the name).
The DJ "I like the sound of my voice", used to ruin the early part of the night by rambling on over the track playing, rather like a BR train announcer.
Most annoying really, but with alcohol the night got better :D

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Steve Wright is a dreadful dj. Talks over both ends and never back announces so no idea what he has just played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here